Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:27 AM

321 posts, read 920,772 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my two stepdaughters and young son to the Nutcracker Ballet tomorrow in KC - I know little of this area - can anyone recommend a nice place for lunch before the show? Something maybe we can walk to after parking the car near the Music Hall? Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
I'm taking my two stepdaughters and young son to the Nutcracker Ballet tomorrow in KC - I know little of this area - can anyone recommend a nice place for lunch before the show? Something maybe we can walk to after parking the car near the Music Hall? Many thanks
There's not much in the way of restaurants that you can walk to near the Music Hall. The Marriott isn't too far though - and they have one. (Ditto for the Doubletree I think.)

If I might make a suggestion -- budget more time (after the show might be better) and go to Crown Center. Fritz's Railroad Restaurant (where your food arrives to your table by a little train that runs all over the restaurant! Quite affordable and the kids love it.) Or the Crayola Cafe (kids like it, but it's not my favorite - food is pricey and only so-so.) or there are several other places. Lots of places on the Plaza too.

If it were me, I'd opt for a light lunch and then Crown Center after the show. My family is doing something similar today - going to the KC Symphony Christmas Show and then out to dinner.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:53 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I might be a little late here, but....

There are quite a few places in the P&L district which is only about 2-3 blocks from the Music Hall.

You can park in the garage across from the Midland ($2 with validation) and that would put you close to the Music Hall and the P&L district.

I would recommend Teds, Chipotle, The PeachTree, Famous Daves or Chefburger as easy, family friendly places to go that are only about a 2 minute (safe) walk from the Music Hall. There is a lot more if you want something more uspcale.

Crown Center would be ok too, but obviously that's not within walking distance. Fritz's can be fun place, but isn't really very good food and the train thing might be a bit too cheesy depending on how old the kids are, plus it gets clobbered by suburban people on the weekends and waits can be very long, especially this time of year and get get realy roudy and loud like a daycare center .

I would just find something downtown, there are also some good restaurants in all the hotels as well like Hotel Phillips and the President Hotel, but I think you woud enjoy eating in the P&L district with the kids.

Samantha, we have a 400 million dollar entertainment/dining district downtown that is opening new restaurants regularly all of which is a short walk to any downtown venue.

Please don't tell people there is nothing downtown.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-13-2008 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 02:09 PM

321 posts, read 920,772 times
I appreciate the feedback! I probably should have clarified - the two stepdaughters are grown (early 20's) but my son is almost four. Fritz's might be fun for my son but I'm looking for food a little bit more than a diner. I'll definitely check Fritz's out another time though! Ted's and The Peach Tree both look like what I'm looking for. I definitely want to park for the ballet and then walk to lunch and performance afterwards. Especially since it's supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow!

What is the Midland where the garage is? Sorry, I know zip about the city since I live out here in Warrensburg and don't get there too often

Old 12-13-2008, 03:05 PM

Yea, in that case, just go to the P&L district, there are plenty of choices, depending on what you want to spend. I have heard the Peachtree is very good and the atmosphere and views of the city are amazing, but I have not had a chance to go yet.

I would go there before Ted's because once inside Teds, you could be anywhere, it's a chain and they don't have the views. The Peachtree is a local place with local flavor. But Teds is good, we have gone a few times.

The Midland is at 13th and Main and the garage is across the street from it. You don't have to park there, but it would be cheaper and easier to get out of than the Barney Allis Plaza garage, where most people that attend Music Hall park.

The best thing to do when coming from Warrensburg is to take 70/670 to the Truman/Grand exit right after you enter the south side of the loop (follow 670 not 70).

From there you can take Truman west to Main Street go right on Main to the garage just north of 14th. You will see the Midland Theater's sign and a large "Parking" sign across from that.

If you miss that exit, which is very easy to do, take the Broadway exit, go right then go right again on 14th.

Good luck, you will really enjoy your time downtown, especially if it’s in the 60's and if you have time walk around the area and see all the new places down there, it’s pretty amazing.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Samantha, we have a 400 million dollar entertainment/dining district downtown that is opening new restaurants regularly all of which is a short walk to any downtown venue.

Please don't tell people there is nothing downtown.
I didn't say that kcmo. Please consider tempering your hostility toward me just because I live in JoCo.

Personally I wouldn't consider the P&L restaurants within walking distance of the Music Hall. Certainly not with a little kid (and originally I thought she would have 3 little kids, I didn't realize the stepdaughters were older) but maybe others would. It's really more like 5 blocks, and the return trip will be uphill, the ladies are likely to be in heels and they'll have a small child in tow. I wouldn't walk it, but if they are willing, I'm sure they will find someplace lovely for lunch.

I do think it's funny that you lament the suburban shoppers coming into Crown Center though. After you lament that the burbs took all the business from downtown. You seem to be a rather hard person to please.

Last edited by Samantha S; 12-13-2008 at 07:53 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 08:00 PM

I wasn't saying anything bad about the suburban people at frit'z, like you did, I recommend that place all the time to people with small children.

I was only describing the place and it really is about like walking into a McDonalds that has a play place and a birthday party going on.

It fills a need, but I put two and two together and I simply figured this person wasn't taking 3 five year olds to the ballet.

The P&L district is 2 blocks from the music hall, Peachtree is a block and a half. You have absolutely got to be kidding me. That's like walking from about halfway across your nearest target parking lot.

I took my son to a concert recently and we parked clear over by bartle hall and walked over to the sprint center, it took less than minutes, plus we walked past the arena to a bar and grill in the Crossroads.

I hope you never even attempt to walk around another city, you would die in a place like Chicago or NYC where it’s nothing to walk for several miles. I see people walking all the time from the hotels in crown center to downtown.

2-3 city blocks is not within walking distance?

I can not get over that. I can't even comprehend that.

I mean, “some” people don’t like to walk from downtown to crown center, I get that. But 2 freaking blocks?????

Old 12-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
The P&L district is 2 blocks from the music hall,
I just came from there. And I just google mapped it to doublecheck.

The Music Hall is at 13th and Broadway. The Peach Tree (which is closer than other P&L options) is at 14th between Main and Walnut. That's 4 blocks East and 1 Block South according to the map. About 4/10 of a mile according to Google.

The walk back will be uphill, it's December and they will have a 3 yo in tow. I wouldn't be up for it -- but if they are -- Great!

I love to walk around other cities too like Chicago, Washington DC etc. I can make a whole day of it and walk for miles!

When I am dressed up to go to the ballet, walking 10 blocks, half of them uphill in the cold wind carrying a 3 yo doesn't interest me. But that's the great thing about a forum. You get lots of opinions and you can disregard the ones that don't suit you.

Last edited by Samantha S; 12-13-2008 at 09:20 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 09:31 PM

The Music hall is not at 13th and Broadway, it's between Central and Wyandotte.

Not that it matters, but that puts it about 2 blocks closer. We are still talking about less than 4 blocks which like I said, is like walking from some of the larger big box parking lots in the suburbs or about half of what a typical walk to Kauffman Stadium from a parking spot.

I guess we come from very different backgrounds.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
The Music hall is not at 13th and Broadway, it's between Central and Wyandotte.

Not that it matters, but that puts it about 2 blocks closer. We are still talking about less than 4 blocks which like I said, is like walking from some of the larger big box parking lots in the suburbs or about half of what a typical walk to Kauffman Stadium from a parking spot.
Actually, no it doesn't, but I'm tired of reading the map to you, so I'll stop. (But you are correct, I should have said 13th and Central)

I certainly agree that we come from very different backgrounds.

I can assure you though that if I offer an opinion, I have some experience to back it up or I will state it's limitations. Not all JoCos are afraid to set foot outside the county.

Last edited by Samantha S; 12-13-2008 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City