Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:33 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree to a slight degree. It sounds harsh, but for the most part it's true. The midwest is generally heavier and slower.

Dimmer might be pushing it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I will also disagree with the broad brush stereotypipng. However, many people I have run across in the Plains and Midwest are quite anti-intellectual and are proud of it.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I will also disagree with the broad brush stereotypipng. However, many people I have run across in the Plains and Midwest are quite anti-intellectual and are proud of it.
Just wait 'till you see Arkansas, and areas around it. It's a whole other world.

As for KC, slower and dimmer I'm not so sure of. Slow is not a bad thing.
The waistlines around here are a bit bigger than they should be on average. You don't really notice it until you go somewhere where the average person is closer their ideal weight.
KC is a food city for sure.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Just wait 'till you see Arkansas, and areas around it. It's a whole other world.

As for KC, slower and dimmer I'm not so sure of. Slow is not a bad thing.
The waistlines around here are a bit bigger than they should be on average. You don't really notice it until you go somewhere where the average person is closer their ideal weight.
KC is a food city for sure.
^
I was really comparing KC to other places in the Midwest/Plains region. I know Arkansas is an entirely different ballgame.

I also wonder why KC is not more health conscious compared to a place like Denver, which is often rated as the "most fit" larger metro in the country?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
^
I also wonder why KC is not more health conscious compared to a place like Denver, which is often rated as the "most fit" larger metro in the country?
Will I agree with you, but I'm not sure how they get the overall information.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
After spending a few days in Minnesota, it dawned on me that I hadn't seen many overweight people. I wasn't looking for it, but after a while, you notice it.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
^
KC is just not an active city. Denver has hundreds and hundreds of miles of bike trails. Not just for recreation. People actually use them to commute.

Denver has an extensive and very well used transit system, which get people out of cars, even for a few minutes a day. Denver is next to the mountains and that also gets people out.

When you drive around Denver, you will see bike and ski racks on a very high percentage of the cars. In KC, bike racks are very rare.

Minneapolis also seems more active than KC.

It's one thing I don't like about KC. People are just not very active outside the suburban joggers and occasional weekend bike rides on the trails. It's not in the same league as most cities in this regard and I blame that on the fact that the people simply have not demanded it. Because they don't really care.

Also, I can’t back this up, but in all my travels, it seems like KC has far more fast food places per capita.

Blue Springs has 4 Sonics for crying out loud.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,048 times
It's such an active place, even the air is thinner in Denver.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 AM

476 posts, read 1,316,337 times
In comparison to Denver, NO city seems active. My god, that is the most active city in the country.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I know that my current workplace (in south KC) is the first place I've worked in where there are tons of community sports teams among the staff and we routinely participate in charity walks/runs, etc. Maybe it's the demographic (predominantly young people working in education and human services), but if you'd asked anybody at my previous jobs if they wanted to put together a soccer team or do a charity run, you'd have been looked at like you had three heads and coldly told that that would cut into reality TV watching time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City