Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:40 PM

14 posts, read 62,605 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Kansas City late spring. Overland Park, Leawood, and Olathe have been places referred to us to live. On the MO side, Lee's Summit seems somewhat the same. Is there really that big of a difference? My husband will work in Grain Valley, how far is that from Overland Park? We will be visiting soon to look at homes and check out the schools (for children 12 and 15) and this is a MAJOR factor on where we decide to live. Is there a difference in lifestyle, ease of getting around, good zoning, better roads, entertainment, shopping, etc? e are couple in our early 40's, pretty decent lifestyle and want to raise our children in a nice neighborhood with good schools. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
I would go with Lee's Summit. A short drive to Grain Valley. Should you choose OP then your commute to Grain Valley will be against the commuter traffic; which would be a plus in travel time. Estimated travel time to Grain Valley from OP would be at a minimum at least 30 min and that would be freeway time only after you get onto I-435 and heading east to I-470 and then to I-70 east to the Grain Valley exit. You will get more house for the money by choosing LS. You will like LS. Check my posts in the Mo forum. The worst i can say about LS is there. You will add about at least one hour more free time to your life by choosing LS over OP.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:41 PM

Thank you Versatile. The info was very helpful. We will start house-hunting in a couple of weeks! I will let you know what we think. If you have more to add, please let me know...thanks again!

Old 03-11-2007, 08:59 PM

15 posts, read 64,170 times
I would like to hear what you find out when you go house hunting in a couple of weeks. I've been keeping an eye on this post, hoping you would get more responses and opinions. We are relocating to the Kansas City area. We won't be taking a trip out there to look around for another few weeks. I'm torn between Overland Park, Olathe and Lee Summit. I know I'll get a better idea once I can see for myself. I'm just feeling impatient I guess.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:08 PM

gabejen - I will let you know when I return. Stay tuned

Old 03-15-2007, 06:56 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,428 times
amaynie,

You might also check out Blue Springs, which is even closer to Grain Valley than Lee's Summit. The schools in Blue Springs are very good, and there is plenty of shopping and entertainment in the area. The Independence Center (shopping mall) is really close by, too. Housing is very affordable. I grew up in Blue Springs and I would definitely consider living there again if I had the chance.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:22 AM

I agree with chiefs fan. Might very well be the best way to go. Not much difference between the two. And closer.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:44 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,247 times
Hi there. I have lived in the KC area for over 12 years and love it. I would vote for Lee's Summit. I drive through Blue Springs once a week, but LS has a really quaint and vibrant downtown plus the traditional chain stores with nice shopping. The schools have a great reputation. Plus, Lee's Summit boundaries extend north far enough that Grain Valley would not be a bad commute at all.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 AM

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post, I really appreciate your help. We go for a visit next week and will be in KC for a week. We are torn between Overland Park and Lee's Summit or Johnson and/or Jackson Counties-the schools, neighborhoods, and overall convenience will basically make be deciding factor for us. My husband doesn't mind a commute(he does that now) This is a job relo and we just want a place we can call home and our children can make new friends. I will keep everyone posted...

Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 AM

By choosing LS or Bs you can gain an extra hour or so of good living. There is so much quality housing on both sides of the state line. Why do a long commute when you don't have to? I understand this might not be a long commute in regards to what you husband does now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City