U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 31,253 times

Advertisements

hi dsvalpo - it's tough to live here without a car just b/c of the job situation. if you are the least bit interetsed in working, you're seriously going to affect what types of jobs you'll be able to get if you don't have a car - and jobs are hard enough to get as it is.

I'm the first to admit I am biased - I can't imagine NOT having a car here. but - I lived in chicago for 5 years - my car died after 2 and I didn't miss it!

I have also had to wait 2 weeks to scrape up $ to fix my car here and it was MADDENING. Also I did not have a car when I moved back from Chi since it died ... i lived not too far from st luke's and took a design job in argentine, kck - it was 7 miles away and a 90 min bus ride with 2 transfers (I kid you not - that is how bad the transit can be in kcmo) so my boss took me to work until I could afford a car.

doesn't matter what out-of-the-way place you find a job ... IF you have a car.

the kc metro area is so sprawled out and the public transit isn't convenient. i always say the transit is good as long as you don't have to BE anywhere. Once you have to BE somehere, like work, it is a real pain in the a**. Like I said, I'm biased.

I was born here and love it - but at some point the 'i'm new here - i can take the bus thing' will wear off and it won't be practical to be without a car. even if it's a cheap junker.

and the winters SUCK!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 12:46 AM

709 posts, read 1,394,274 times
My 2 cents:

A car is definitely not a necessity, especially if you live near St. Luke's. My address in the Westport area in KC received a walkabilty score of 98, while my place in Brooklyn only got a 89. (Not sure how much credibility to put into that, but checkout walkscore.com). And the area around the hospital is perfectly safe. Yes, there is some crime there, but there is crime any any city - even Overland Park.

However, the transit system in KC does leave much to be desired. Especially if you do need to go out to the suburbs (if you happen to need to visit a Wal-Mart or Applebees). One big difference from NY, as someone else pointed out, is the lack of 24 hour service.

Overall, it's not the most convenient city to get around without a car, but you don't need one to get by.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:12 PM

11,095 posts, read 22,338,234 times
dsvalp,

please keep this thread active if you can and let us know what you ended up doing and how it all worked out. I would love to know.

Thank you.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM

37,414 posts, read 50,069,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4kc View Post
hi dsvalpo - it's tough to live here without a car just b/c of the job situation. if you are the least bit interetsed in working, you're seriously going to affect what types of jobs you'll be able to get if you don't have a car - and jobs are hard enough to get as it is.

I'm the first to admit I am biased - I can't imagine NOT having a car here. but - I lived in chicago for 5 years - my car died after 2 and I didn't miss it!

I have also had to wait 2 weeks to scrape up $ to fix my car here and it was MADDENING. Also I did not have a car when I moved back from Chi since it died ... i lived not too far from st luke's and took a design job in argentine, kck - it was 7 miles away and a 90 min bus ride with 2 transfers (I kid you not - that is how bad the transit can be in kcmo) so my boss took me to work until I could afford a car.

doesn't matter what out-of-the-way place you find a job ... IF you have a car.

the kc metro area is so sprawled out and the public transit isn't convenient. i always say the transit is good as long as you don't have to BE anywhere. Once you have to BE somehere, like work, it is a real pain in the a**. Like I said, I'm biased.

I was born here and love it - but at some point the 'i'm new here - i can take the bus thing' will wear off and it won't be practical to be without a car. even if it's a cheap junker.

and the winters SUCK!
I completely agree. I do take the bus, but for my work, etc., it's been invaluable to me to sink a small amount of money into an older, low-cost auto. I couldn't ever depend upon public transit to get to and from my work. I wish I could. I also lived in Chicago and enjoyed the financial freedom of being car-free. With that as my comparison, public transit-wise, KC just doesn't cut it, for anything resembling a utilitarian purpose. If I'm lah-di-da, just killing a Saturday and wanna ride the Max from Waldo to River Market, sure. But not when I'm on a deadline. I love KC, no disrespect intended, and, NO, I definitely DIDN'T and DON'T expect it to rival Chicago's transit situation...but the fact remains that I couldn't go about my daily life with any kind of reasonable convenience without my beater car.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Just remember, this original poster said they will be working at St Lukes on the Plaza. They have a job in a part of the city where transit is not bad. If they came to KC without knowing where they will be working, I would have to agree. Get a car.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM

Correct. I was speaking more to the conversation that evolved, regarding efficacy of transit all over the area, in general. But, yeah, working on the Plaza and living on the Plaza or nearby (even relatively nearby), you could get by without a car (I did for a pretty long stretch, living in the Plaza and working downtown - it was when I switched job locations that the issue cropped up). As long as you didn't need to get to any underserved places with any frequency.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:51 PM

13,722 posts, read 18,026,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I completely agree. I do take the bus, but for my work, etc., it's been invaluable to me to sink a small amount of money into an older, low-cost auto. I couldn't ever depend upon public transit to get to and from my work. I wish I could. I also lived in Chicago and enjoyed the financial freedom of being car-free. With that as my comparison, public transit-wise, KC just doesn't cut it, for anything resembling a utilitarian purpose. If I'm lah-di-da, just killing a Saturday and wanna ride the Max from Waldo to River Market, sure. But not when I'm on a deadline. I love KC, no disrespect intended, and, NO, I definitely DIDN'T and DON'T expect it to rival Chicago's transit situation...but the fact remains that I couldn't go about my daily life with any kind of reasonable convenience without my beater car.
I have to admit, sometimes I do wish I lived somewhere that most people didn't need/have a car. It would be much easier (and healthier) to walk/ride a bike/take public transportation. It would be nice to just walk out your door and to wherever you needed to go, or to transportation that would take you where you needed to go. And all the money you'd save on car loans, insurance, upkeep, gas and property tax would be nice!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have to admit, sometimes I do wish I lived somewhere that most people didn't need/have a car. It would be much easier (and healthier) to walk/ride a bike/take public transportation. It would be nice to just walk out your door and to wherever you needed to go, or to transportation that would take you where you needed to go. And all the money you'd save on car loans, insurance, upkeep, gas and property tax would be nice!
wow, luzianne, did you really just post that? And not one mention of all the downfalls of not owning car like daily potential muggings and rapes, smelly city buses full of homeless people, lockdown after 5pm etc.

Not sure what do think about this.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,694 times
Hi dsvalpo. I don't have time to read all the replies, so I don't know what's already been said, but I'll mention this. I spent the last 3 years in NYC...2 years in Manhattan (20th and 8th), and one year in BK (Flatbush). I couldn't imagine living in KC without a car. I took the train or bus everyday in NYC...a cab maybe 4 times a year....walked a lot. Was glad not to have a car. In KC, I would have no idea what to do without a car. I've never taken a bus or cab in KC...I don't think I even KNOW anybody who has. I feel safer walking around NYC (including BK) than KC at night simply b/c there are always people walking around in NYC...even at 2am. It's just a totally different place. I'd see how you feel about it after you've been here for a couple weeks, but for me, I need a car in KC about as much as I need my feet and the A,C,E and 1,2,3 in the city.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 PM

For the record, I do walk nearly everywhere, and living in a neighborhood where I don't have to drive to various amenities is important to me. Unfortunately, it's not possible to work where I work and not drive or otherwise depend on a car, because it's in a location very underserved by public transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City