Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:50 PM

16 posts, read 47,014 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to KC and am searching for a house quickly and long distance. I was able to come into town this weekend and take a look at some that I have seen online. One that I loved was in the Amber Meadows subdivision in KC, MO near Liberty. I did a search in this forum and didn't see anything written about it, so just wanted to see if anyone is familiar with it. I was only able to spend a very short amount of time in the area since we had so many houses to look at! It is near Cookingham and I-35.
Is it as close to shopping and highways as it seemed? My husbands job will be a territory from NKC up through St. Joe. We definitely have heard good things about Liberty schools as well.
Is this a neighborhood/area that is growing, or are there many foreclosures?
Are there trails and parks nearby?
Thanks, any info is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 PM

Ok, any information about the Liberty area, in general? We are more familiar with Johnson County, never spent much time on the MIssouri side (besides the Plaza) but are excited to!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
The area west of I-35 near Liberty is called “Shoal Creek”. It’s technically in the city of KCMO, but it’s suburban and in the Liberty School District.

Shoal Creek is by far the fastest growing suburban area in all of metro KC. More homes are built in this area than any other suburb, if not the next two or three top suburbs combined.

So what I’m saying is this is a very popular and fast growing suburban area, so it’s easy to come to the conclusion that it’s probably a nice area and a safe investment.

Shopping is nearby along 152. The area of 152 and 35 has all the typical stuff. But if you can’t find what you want there, just drive west on 152 and you will eventually find it. The area around Metro North Mall still has a lot of stores, even though it has seen better retail days. Keep driving to I-29 and 152 and you have millions of square feet of retail, including the very popular Zona Rosa shopping center.

Don’t overlook Platte County, it’s more expensive, but you can find less expensive older homes in Platte County. Platte County is basically the Northland area west of 169. Park Hill and NKC schools along 152 are also very good. I would just look in the entire 152 corridor from 435 on the west to 291 on the east. There is so much to choose from in that corridor, mostly new homes. If you want older, you can just go south of 152.

I personally like Platte better than Clay, especially the Parkville area and the I-29 corridor, but everybody has different tastes.

There are plenty of other nice areas on the MO side south of the river and in Johnson County, but if you will be working up north, I would just live up there.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 AM

24 posts, read 79,641 times
Just West of Shoal Creek and North of 152 there's been a lot of new construction as well. There's at least half a dozen new subdivisions with prices from 200k on up. Staley Farms has some really nice homes if you have a budget that can afford it. The new Staley high school is under construction as well, making it a popular area for builders and buyers.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,956,798 times
That's a very nice area. You are relatively close to everything and about 15 minutes from NKC.

My wife and I will probably be buying in that area in the next couple of years. We really like it up there. I have looked at houses in that subdivision and they are top notch.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:53 PM

Thanks everybody! I think we're going to look at some more homes in the area, and perhaps the Parkville area, this weekend.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM

258 posts, read 644,783 times
I have not moved down there yet but DH is living in an apartment close to Liberty and that development - near the shopping area by Target, Kohls, etc. There are a lot of new developments around there and a lot of homes for sale - and a lot that have been for sale for quite a while. I've been monitoring real estate since about October. Since we are not sure how long we would live there I'm concerned about over paying when there is such a glut of housing. I'm also looking for something on a larger more private lot so that is a little harder to find. I didn't see much in the way of parks and trails in that area other than what is within some HOA - not much in the way of county or regional parks and trails. The shopping is limited by Liberty in my opinion but all basic needs are right there. More diverse shopping over at Zona Rosa which is not that far. I've been down there quite a few times - it's nice around that area - people are very nice. Where are you moving from?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3000 View Post
I have not moved down there yet but DH is living in an apartment close to Liberty and that development - near the shopping area by Target, Kohls, etc. There are a lot of new developments around there and a lot of homes for sale - and a lot that have been for sale for quite a while. I've been monitoring real estate since about October. Since we are not sure how long we would live there I'm concerned about over paying when there is such a glut of housing. I'm also looking for something on a larger more private lot so that is a little harder to find. I didn't see much in the way of parks and trails in that area other than what is within some HOA - not much in the way of county or regional parks and trails. The shopping is limited by Liberty in my opinion but all basic needs are right there. More diverse shopping over at Zona Rosa which is not that far. I've been down there quite a few times - it's nice around that area - people are very nice. Where are you moving from?
I think you have the right idea. I would never overpay for real estate, especially in the KC area. You have such a huge amount of inventory to choose from in a multitude of counties. Also, property values tend to appreciate much more slowly in average middle-class neighborhoods because land is not a valuable commodity compared to other metros. The developers will just move on and develop the next productive farm field with more cookie cutters. That tends to keep prices low due to supply during an "average" market.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 AM

24 posts, read 79,641 times
As for parks and trails around Liberty, I know Hodge Park is just west of there on 152. Smithville isn't very far off either, and I know they have the lake and nice biking trails over there.

Regarding property values, I'd agree with the high inventory especially in average neighborhoods. I've heard of developers in other metros switching over to condos and apartment complexes over building new single family homes. Is this starting to happen in KC as well? Would this stem the flow of new home constructions and help push property values upward again?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
I still like the I-29 corridor better than the I-35 corridor of the Northland.

There are some nice areas along 35, it’s very new, much of the housing is very upscale, shopping choices are getting much better.

But the Liberty area is just a bit too “blue collar” for my tastes. Lots of pick up trucks etc. I mean they do build the F-150 nearby in Claycomo! The stores are also more fitting. Discount stores like Target and Walmart dominate there. I don’t think the area offers as many trails and parks options either. Traffic can be downright stupid. 152 around I-35 is ridiculous. 291 from 152 to 435 desperately needs to be widened, especially in KCMO. I-35 is only four lanes from Liberty to Downtown. It’s getting widened north of Downtown, but I hate driving on 4 lane urban interstates. You really have only one good route into the city.

But you have tons and tons of housing options. New homes in all price brackets can be found in this area and it would probably be easier to find home to your liking in this area due to all the inventory. I wouldn’t call it a glut of houses, it’s just the most popular area in the metro to build new homes right now. Much of this is attributed to the lower cost to develop this area than in other metro counties because the land is flatter and cheaper.

Compare that the other side of the Northland.

New homes in Platte and southern Clay (near Briarcliff) average 350k and up. But there are some nice older neighborhoods and possibly a few lower priced new areas.

But you get what you pay for.

The things I like about the I-29 corridor.

I-29 is much nicer than I-35. It’s six lanes all the way past KCI. If you are commuting into the city, you have far more options to cross the river. It’s very easy to get to the Kansas side via 635. It’s more “white collar”. Office parks are all over the area near KCI and Briarcliff. You have much better shopping options like Zona Rosa, Boardwalk, Tulleries, Downtown Parkville, Briarcliff etc. It’s much more upscale overall. The National and Tiffany Greens are both top golf courses and very upscale areas. There are more trails and bike lanes. There is a long trail along Tom Watson Parkway (64th) for example from I-29 into Parkville. Parkville has the English Landing Park trail along the Missouri River. You have the Tiffany Springs Aquatics Center which is the nicest public water park in the metro. The topography of the area is much more scenic. There are several residential lakes, and the area is generally very hilly and forested unlike many other fast growing suburban areas like around Liberty and Cass County. Apartments tends to be nicer and more upscale along 29 as well. Transit is also better as there is better express bus service into the city.

So I like the west side of the Northland from NKC up through Briarcliff, Parkville, Zona Rosa and Tiffany Springs.

But you can live in the Shoal Creek area and be 5-10 minutes from all of this and live in a home that cost much less and still be in a nice suburban area and that is what a lot of people do.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-07-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City