Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 02:25 PM

580 posts, read 1,082,830 times

Advertisements

So a couple of friends and I are considering a road trip to Kansas City, MO. We go to school at a university about 3 hours away, and we're looking to check out some of the different cities in the general region. Being poor college students, we don't have too much money to throw around. Also, we'd probably only be there for a day.
So assuming we take this day trip, and assuming a conservative budget, what would y'all recommend we go see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,936,508 times
Go to the Plaza and just take it in. Walk around Mill Creek Park (where the landmark JC Nichols Fountain is) and walk around the plaza area.

The Nelson Art Gallery is free, and it's a world class museum if you like art museums.

You should go to the Liberty Memorial for sure. If you don't want to go to the WWI museum there (may take too much time anyway, but it's good), you have to go up to the top of the memorial where you have awesome views of the city. At the very least, you can view the downtown skyline from the base of the tower for free.

If you are in town on a weekend, go to the City Market. KC has one of the largest urban farmers markets in the country.

The NLBM is great ,but it cost. So does the Jazz Museum and the Steamboat Museum, but are all worth it if you have time (and the money).

Old 04-05-2010, 03:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
The American Jazz Museum and Negro Leagues Baseball Museum also offer a bundled ticket, so if you go to both (they're housed in the same building and neither takes long to get through), it costs almost half what it would to buy tickets individually and is the much better deal.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 PM

404 posts, read 597,084 times
We don't like outsiders here, so be prepared to get jacked. Just thought I'd let you know!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 PM

Great advice, thank you. I'll be sure to add all those things to the list.

GhettoKC...I've walked through decidedly bad areas of Omaha, Austin, Houston and Compton, so unless people from Kansas City really don't want me there I think I'll be fine! But thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 PM

448 posts, read 1,460,889 times
Don't listen to those negative comments. Since you are college students I would assume you also enjoy going out. If you like beer I would suggest Flying Saucer down in Power & Light. They have a great selection and usually have a 2.75 special.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM

LOL, I was under the impression that they were joking anyway. Power & Light is like the entertainment district down there, right?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
It's one of them. There are several.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM

476 posts, read 1,318,505 times
Royals games are actually surprisingly cheap. I think upper level tickets are as low as $6-7. The beer and food is expensive of course, but on certain nights you can get hot dogs and Pepsis for a dollar.

Cheap eats in KC:

Arthur Bryant's - pretty much a must when visiting KC. Our iconic BBQ restuarant. Go to the one at 17th and Brooklyn
Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City

Grinders - highly recommend at 18th and Locust in the Crossroads District.
Grinders Pizza & Grinders West Upscale Deli | Restaurants in Kansas City's Crossroads Art District

Harry's Country Club - don't let the name fool you, its a very laid back honky-tonk bar/restaurant, located near the River Market
Harry's Country Club - A Kansas City Restaurant

McCoy's Public House - if you find yourself in Westport, they have inexpensive quality grub and a wide array of beers
McCoy's Kansas City (http://www.mccoyspublichouse.com/kansascity/ - broken link)

Extra Virgin - trendy modern tapas restaurant run by an award-winning chef. Dishes are small but cheap, so you can order lots of different dishes. Located at 19th and Main in the Crossroads.
...innovative, yet simple Mediterranean tapas in the heart of Kansas City...

You Say Tomato - quality cheap breakfast in midtown - 28th and Holmes
Untitled Document

Succotash - another cheap great breakfast place - 26th and Holmes
Succotash - now at 2601 Holmes, KCMO

Waldo Pizza - my favorite pizza joint located in Waldo, a cool neighborhood in the south with walkable bars and restaurants. Terrific beer selection and a great salad bar to boot. 75th and Wornall
Welcome to Waldo Pizza (http://www.waldopizza.net/welcome/index.html - broken link)

Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 AM

476 posts, read 1,318,505 times
Can't believe I forgot the Westside Local. Great new addition with a wonderful atmosphere, particularly on pleasant evenings when you can sit outside. 16th and Summit near the Crossroads.

The Westside Local • Restaurant & Beer Garden • 1663 Summit • Kansas City, Missouri • (816) 997-9089
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City