Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

I would post the photos on here, but this forum doesn't like massive photo threads for some reason.

So here are links to a couple of photo threads I posted on another forum.

One is of urban housing in KCMO and the other is suburban office parks in OPKS. So it's quite a contrasting couple of threads.

URBAN Housing Photo Tour of KCMO - SkyscraperPage Forum

Overland Park, Kansas (Midwestern S U B U R B I A) - SkyscraperPage Forum

The KCMO photos focus on residential buildings, mostly outside of the central downtown area. There are many towers in the CBD that are residential that I didn’t include here.

The photos include areas like the River Market, Crossroads, Westside, Union Hill, Hyde Park, West Plaza, Plaza, Westport, Midtown, Brookside etc.

If you have any questions about any of the photos, feel free to ask. The area around StLukes Hospital is really booming with new condo construction. It’s like a totally different area than it was only a few years ago. I think everybody should take some time and drive around the core of KCMO and see how much is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 05:33 PM

131 posts, read 320,787 times
These are very impressive photos. If more people (on a national scale) saw these photos, I think many misconceptions about KC would change.

The urban core of KC is really not any different than other established cities such as St. Louis, Cincinnati, Baltimore, or even parts of Boston.

With this type of pre-existing urban infrastructure/housing stock, I would think that all KC needs are more urban core residents to become the next "trendy hotspot" city (the next Denver/Portland/Seattle/Minneapolis).

It will be interesting to see how KC evolves over the next 5-10 years.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM

258 posts, read 647,883 times
Cool - if I ever move down there I think I need to seriously consider one of those urban spots. Both are nice but the urban places look much more interesting.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,510 times
The urban shots are great! Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:48 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
But....why not post residential areas of Overland Park too, instead of residential KCMO and office park of Overland Park? So people can compare residential vs residential and office park vs office park? Of course, you can find good and bad in both.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But....why not post residential areas of Overland Park too, instead of residential KCMO and office park of Overland Park? So people can compare residential vs residential and office park vs office park? Of course, you can find good and bad in both.
Because only an idiot would live in B O R I N G S U B U R B I A There are no interesting places to live, everything is B E I G E.

Just teasing you kcmo. I do like to look at your photos.

I love looking at all the interesting old architecture in KC. I love the old buildings that have been renovated and made into apts or condos.

I love to look at them, but I gotta tell ya, I got to feeling claustrophobic before I got to the end of the photos. I could do it for a short time (and will in Chicago next month) but for the long haul, I need the S P A C E between me and my neighbors that suburbia offers.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Because only an idiot would live in B O R I N G S U B U R B I A There are no interesting places to live, everything is B E I G E.

Just teasing you kcmo. I do like to look at your photos.

I love looking at all the interesting old architecture in KC. I love the old buildings that have been renovated and made into apts or condos.

I love to look at them, but I gotta tell ya, I got to feeling claustrophobic before I got to the end of the photos. I could do it for a short time (and will in Chicago next month) but for the long haul, I need the S P A C E between me and my neighbors that suburbia offers.
Space, eh?
You won't really find that in suburbia for the most part with houses on all sides.
I like my peace and quiet in the country on 12 acres of mostly woods. I can't see one neighbor

Old 06-15-2009, 12:44 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Space, eh?
You won't really find that in suburbia for the most part with houses on all sides.
I like my peace and quiet in the country on 12 acres of mostly woods. I can't see one neighbor
Agreed. We are moving next week and the houses in our new neighborhood are closer together than I would prefer, but I had to compromise on that a bit due to other factors.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I love suburbia. I love the low crime, the manicured lawns, the newer houses and the upscale look. L O V E I T!!! Different stroke for different folks. I wouldn't live in an urban area if you paid me. My brother lives in a rural area and same there - he wouldn't live in the urban OR suburban area, and I would never live in the country. I wouldn't mind having some land out of the ciy IF I could have my house in the burbs and visit my country house. But live out there? Noooooooo. I like that if I forget to buy milk it only takes me 5 minutes to get to the store, not 45 minutes. Can't do urban. Can't do rural. Suburban fits me fine.

I grew up on 80 acres and knew then I didn't like country living.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
There is actually something wrong with both pictures.

The BOTTOM ONE is simply a corporate structure. Basically office buildings...looks like it could be anywhere, as a lot of grass and water next to it. SO you'd basically drive there...work in a cubicle...and then drive back out...nowhere nearby to eat lunch or shop or do errands or do much of anything. That lake looks incredibly corporate and dull and lifeless as well - no boats, no one enjoying it, just something to view from a cubicle window with nothing happening in it.

Same with the TOP PHOTO...but looks like an apartment building with a huge parking lot. Again, you have to get in a car, and go find something to eat or find stuff somewhere else.

TRUE URBAN LIVING...is where you can live, work, shop, enjoy the parks, etc. all in the same place...without NEEDING a car. That is the entire point of true urban living. Unfortunately NYC is the only real city like that in the U.S....but if you go to any other country in the world, you will find millions of convenient cities where you can live, work, shop in the same area. The U.S. has basically been zoned to death, where the idea seems so weird and foreign, that even when people do try to build buildings that resemble it, it still misses out on ALL of the REAL key ingredients necessary for it to actually work and be enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City