Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 10:16 PM

38 posts, read 74,040 times

Advertisements

I lived in the northeast area of KC. We used to go to Crain's cafeteria at Truman & Hardesty and Vitale's on Truman Road and Cleveland across from the Sears store and next to a Western Auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
What time frame are you talking about here?
Sorry for this reply 4+ months late..

But I am talking about mid 80's.. for the loose meat sandwich shop by The Roxy

Old 11-18-2020, 02:50 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Like i said SIR! Different strokes for different folks. No we were not wasting any food and she was a stingy old witch with the crab legs. The sign was on the wall for all to see. That in it's self should be very telling to anyone reading this thread. A cold restaurant and a shared filthy bathroom. A good deal for you sir because you won't see me going back to any place like that. Thus it will leave you plenty of room and food. Please don't trash the bathroom! lol
It closed many years ago, Versatile.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:29 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Was the Metcalf location closed before '76? That's when we arrived and lived in Lenexa. I don't remember ever seeing a King's in the area.
Sorry for this late reply.......It probably closed right around then. Definitely open in 1972 but after that I was at KU and much too cool to go to some HS hangout. 3.2 beer was more my style then.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:22 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
^^^ I definitely remember the House of Toy -- the only Chinese restaurant my family frequented back in the day.

Sunday brunch was often on the Plaza, at the Pam Pam in the mezzanine of the Alameda Plaza. Loved that place.

Other memories:

Eddy's Loaf-n-Stein at the Ward Parkway Center

The Wishbone on Main where the Marriott stands now -- a stained glass studio was in the carriage house

Stroud's on 85th Street

The small cafe at the Halls in Crown Center (its former, east location), wasn't it called Picnic?

Sidney's on Broadway, at Valentine Road

Stephenson's Apple Farm in Blue Springs

The Old Spaghetti Factory downtown
MMMMMMM Eddy's Loaf-n-Stein. We lived right up the street from the Prairie Village location, next to Topsy's. I can still taste the Corned Beef sandwiches and Chocolate silk pie. My mom and I would go there for dinner once in a while and split a sandwich and piece of pie.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:16 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
MMMMMMM Eddy's Loaf-n-Stein. We lived right up the street from the Prairie Village location, next to Topsy's. I can still taste the Corned Beef sandwiches and Chocolate silk pie. My mom and I would go there for dinner once in a while and split a sandwich and piece of pie.
Wow, This post just reminded me of Topsy's popcorn. In the 60's when my parents went shopping downtown they would sometimes bring us back a bag of Topsy's popcorn. It was always such a treat.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:01 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Wow, This post just reminded me of Topsy's popcorn. In the 60's when my parents went shopping downtown they would sometimes bring us back a bag of Topsy's popcorn. It was always such a treat.
There's a very good popcorn shop here in Philadelphia called Go Popcorn; it's located on 12th Street just below Chestnut.

They have a constantly changing menu of flavors, all of them good, and they also sell their popcorn to pop at home — it pops up fluffier than any other I've tried.

In the shop's service area, close to the counter, is a Topsy's popcorn cart. I asked them where they got it, then when they explained where they found it, I explained to them how Topsy's was a Kansas City institution. One of the people at the store the time I asked about the cart knew about Topsy's too.

The really good news is: They're still very much in business, with nine locations in Greater Kansas City, one in St. Joseph and one in Topeka. You can also order popcorn for delivery and shipping from their website.

I was surprised to see a Topsy's location at The Landing when last I went Back Home in 2018. My folks shopped there often — there was a Macy's, branches of Adler's and Chasnoff where Mom would shop, and Eddie Jacobson's, where Dad bought a lot of his clothes. (Eddie Jacobson, btw, was Harry S Truman's business partner on that "failed haberdashery" that figures so prominently in Truman's life narrative.) There was also a Kresge's store and several other shops. That mall has fallen several notches from what I remember as a kid, and I imagine the slide began when the J.C. Nichols Co., which built it in 1961, was broken up.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:07 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
A few years ago my mom sent my sister and I each a canister if Topsy’s popcorn for christmas. Most memorable gift I’ve ever received!

Old 12-27-2020, 07:11 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
A few years ago my mom sent my sister and I each a canister if Topsy’s popcorn for christmas. Most memorable gift I’ve ever received!
We received one from my cousin and his wife a couple weeks ago. Was so good, didn’t last too long

Old 12-28-2020, 08:44 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
There's also Velvet Creme popcorn, also a Kansas City company. They haven't expanded like Topsy's, though. I think they just have one store in Westwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City