U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:03 PM

24 posts, read 128,509 times

Advertisements

I will be looking for a house in Kansas City soon, and just want to hear from the local residents what subdivisions are being considered the best; in terms of the overall quality (houses, builders, neighborhoods, shops, schools.…etc.).

Not a subdivision like Lions Gate where houses are like over half a mil but in the 300k-400k range. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:30 PM

22,156 posts, read 38,678,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon View Post
I will be looking for a house in Kansas City soon, and just want to hear from the local residents what subdivisions are being considered the best; in terms of the overall quality (houses, builders, neighborhoods, shops, schools.…etc.).

Not a subdivision like Lions Gate where houses are like over half a mil but in the 300k-400k range. Thanks in advance!
I am partial to old Leawood (north of I-435) in the 300K+ range if you are considering JOCO. If you want to live in KC, MO and desire a more suburban setting I would look at southern Platte County (Riss Lake and Weatherby Lake area subdivisions)- Those are upscale areas.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,151,644 times
There are too many subdivisions and "rank" is so subjective.

We recently moved within JoCo and one of the top priorities was where our kids would go to high school. We limited ourselves to Shawnee Mission East HS and Blue Valley North HS areas.

My husband also works downtown so I promised not to look at any houses that were South of 135th. There are many great neighborhoods there, but we didn't want too long of a commute.

As for builders we did not have a preference. There are some bigger names around, but that just wasn't important to me. I wanted a neighborhood with kids near my kids ages and most of the builders in OP and Leawood build good quality homes. There are a good number of houses to choose from in the 300-400k price range.

What are your top priorities? What are you looking for in a house/neighborhood? Are you looking to buy or build?

Old 08-11-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am partial to old Leawood (north of I-435) in the 300K+ range if you are considering JOCO.
I love that area too. We looked quite a bit in Old Leawood. The problem right now is that many of the houses have been so recently updated. People have put 10's of $K's into them and they want that money back! Unfortunately, the market just isn't bearing it.

So those houses that are updated are sitting overpriced, and those that haven't been updated, that are priced lower, still need $30-60k put into them.

We ended up with a newer home than what I wanted, but we just couldn't justify the price per square foot in Old Leawood with so much more available South of 435.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
As for builders we did not have a preference. There are some bigger names around, but that just wasn't important to me. I wanted a neighborhood with kids near my kids ages and most of the builders in OP and Leawood build good quality homes. There are a good number of houses to choose from in the 300-400k price range.

What are your top priorities? What are you looking for in a house/neighborhood? Are you looking to buy or build?

School/Shops/Property Value are my top priorities. South of I435 is fine I prefer newer houses (<10 years).

I stopped by a subdivision called Steeplechase where garages are on the side, and many houses with brick exterior. I am not familiar with that area so don't know if it is a good neighborhood.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
School/Shops/Property Value are my top priorities. South of I435 is fine I prefer newer houses (<10 years).

I stopped by a subdivision called Steeplechase where garages are on the side, and many houses with brick exterior. I am not familiar with that area so don't know if it is a good neighborhood.
Yes, it's a very good area as are the surrounding ones. Blue Valley is a highly ranked school district and you really can't go wrong in any of the neighborhoods.

You can get a little more for your money if you don't mind being South of 135th. Those areas are newer and very nice. I think they are often priced a little lower because they are further out and teetering between "suburban" and "rural".

Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM

How is it compared to the shadow brook area where I think it's few miles west of steeplechase in the city Overland Park?

I do realize both subdivisons are not close to the highway.

Thanks,

Old 08-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
How is it compared to the shadow brook area where I think it's few miles west of steeplechase in the city Overland Park?

I do realize both subdivisons are not close to the highway.

Thanks,
In general, Leawood is preferred over Overland Park, but OP has some very nice areas and Shadow Brook is certainly a fine area.

In general Blue Valley North HS is considered preferable over BVNW, but I think they are both great schools, the preference is probably due more to the preference for Leawood over OP. But that part of OP is very nice, so don't get me wrong. Where ever you live, there will always be "better" in the eyes of the beholder.

Given a choice between the two and the fact that proximity to highway or downtown is not as important to you, I'd pick Steeplechase over Shadow Brook.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Oh, one thing I would watch out for as you look further South: I would want to make sure the neighborhood already has city sewer lines. Many of the newer subdivisions out South don't yet and while it may look like a house is a great deal, some people don't think about this. You will be on a septic system and when you eventually do get the sewer lines out there, you'll PAY for it.

The real estate listings should show this and if you're not sure, ask!

And Welcome!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Oh, one thing I would watch out for as you look further South: I would want to make sure the neighborhood already has city sewer lines. Many of the newer subdivisions out South don't yet and while it may look like a house is a great deal, some people don't think about this. You will be on a septic system and when you eventually do get the sewer lines out there, you'll PAY for it.

The real estate listings should show this and if you're not sure, ask!

And Welcome!!!
Excellent point, I appreciate all your help and thank you for reminding me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City