Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:59 PM

113 posts, read 145,094 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals. I just got a job working for a firm in the Livestock Exchange Building, off Genessee street in downtown KC. I've never spent any time in the area (other then a quick interview) and need to look full force for an apartment (job starts in 4 weeks).
I make 47,000 a year and would like to find a place that has good nightlife (part of the late 20's singles crowd).
Downtown or the Burbs, doesn't matter. Although, I'd like to keep the commute to less then 30 minutes.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
What about Quality Hill?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,485 times
If you're in the late 20's, singles crowd, you definitely want to be downtown, the City Market area, or the Plaza area, especially since you'll be working in the center of town.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,870 times
I would also recommend that you stay in the city if you are interested in nightlife and culture.

I would look anywhere from the River Market on the north, through the Plaza on the south. This will provide you with a wide range of options.

If you give more details of what you're looking for, then it could be narrowed down.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
I would also recommend that you stay in the city if you are interested in nightlife and culture.

I would look anywhere from the River Market on the north, through the Plaza on the south. This will provide you with a wide range of options.

If you give more details of what you're looking for, then it could be narrowed down.
Yea, what he said. Your question in WAY too broad, if you can live anywhere, why ask for help? Narrow it down. Urban, Suburban and what type of urban or suburban.

If you don't have kids and work in the city.

Live in the city. That's my opinion.

There is nothing in the bottoms where you will be working. All the interesting and thriving districts of the urban corridor (river market to plaza) would be a short 5-15 minute drive to the west bottoms.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
If I were single and made a decent wage and wanted to live downtown, I would probably look at the lofts on Grand between like 18th and 23rd street.

They are all new within the last 5 years and that puts you within walking distance of P & L, Union Station, Crown Center, and the Crossroads District. I couldnt think of a better place to live downtown.

You are also a 5 minute ride from Westport, River Market, and the Plaza.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 PM

113 posts, read 145,094 times
The more I think about it, i'd prefer downtown. I used to live in Adam's Morgan/ Dupont Circle area in DC. That was a pretty nice urban area. Access to some parks with jogging trails would be nice too if possible. So City Market, River Market, Union Station, Crown Center, and the Crossroads District. I guess the one thing I don't really want is to live in a high rise building. I don't really like those. The ideal situation would be to rent a garden style apartment or row house.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laloesch View Post
The more I think about it, i'd prefer downtown. I used to live in Adam's Morgan/ Dupont Circle area in DC. That was a pretty nice urban area. Access to some parks with jogging trails would be nice too if possible. So City Market, River Market, Union Station, Crown Center, and the Crossroads District. I guess the one thing I don't really want is to live in a high rise building. I don't really like those. The ideal situation would be to rent a garden style apartment or row house.
If you don't like high rises, but do like row-houses, check out Quality Hill.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:36 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,870 times
Just to clear up a couple of things:

River Market and City Market are the same thing. I believe that, technically, City Market is the actual market itself, while the River Market is the name of the neighborhood around the market (and the river).

Also, Union Station is the train station. I think you may have confused this with the Union Hill neighborhood (which is somewhat near, but not directly by the station).

Although I don't know the area in DC you mentioned, from what I gather - you would like to live in a urban traditonal neighborhood area rather than a urban loft/condo area. If this is the case, then you can cross off the Crossroads and Crown Center from your list. The River Market could work, but it might be more on the loft side (though they have been building some modern town homes). Quality Hill would work.

I think Union Hill sounds like it may be a great fit. It would put you right across from Penn Valley Park. (though I couldn't tell you how it is for jogging).

Continuing south from Union Hill is the Midtown area which hosts a number of urban neighborhoods and a few parks to choose from. This could be what you're looking for, with a good selection of smaller apartments, duplexes, detached houses (KC doesn't have too much left in the way of row houses).

Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,848 times
I agree with suggestions of Quality Hill and Plaza. I know lots of singles in their 20's who love living on the plaza. they have lots of great shops, resturants, nightlife, grocery stores are closer than other areas downtown, target is pretty close also just north of brookside. you are also close to the college, UMKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City