Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM

132 posts, read 171,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I'm pretty sure the e tax has come up for a vote a couple of times in the last few years, and it passes every time. Just based on the most recent election, it seems clear that the residents of KCMO want the city to keep moving forward, not become a low tax wasteland, that seems to be happening across the border to the west.
Low Taxes bring business. Get competitive or get out. KCMO has clearly not chosen the competitive side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 03:25 PM

290 posts, read 346,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adebord View Post
Low Taxes bring business. Get competitive or get out. KCMO has clearly not chosen the competitive side.
I believe Denver and Minneapolis have their fare share of municipal taxes. On the other hand, maybe we should mirror ourselves on the conservative utopia of Kansas. Their low taxes are making things boom out there and now they're the envy of the whole country....

Old 04-28-2017, 04:10 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
A good balance is key. With metro areas accounting for a huge majority of population and job growth, a low taxes at any cost model is a failure.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:50 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
The earnings tax started, I believe, in the 1960s. Most people who lived in the suburbs were working in the city of KC. JoCo was a bunch of sleepy bedroom communities, with very few business and commercial buildings. So the e-tax was instituted to get a pound of flesh out of the JoCo-ers (and the Independence-ians and others).

Kansas Citians would be fools to abolish the e-tax. That money would have to come from somewhere else, most likely property taxes.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:00 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
Maybe the next vote on the Etax should be only open to vote by those who pay the ETAX?
I just ate at Joe's Kansas City and paid Kansas sales tax. Should I get to vote on that, even though I'm not a citizen of Kansas?

Old 04-29-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
The earnings tax started, I believe, in the 1960s. Most people who lived in the suburbs were working in the city of KC. JoCo was a bunch of sleepy bedroom communities, with very few business and commercial buildings. So the e-tax was instituted to get a pound of flesh out of the JoCo-ers (and the Independence-ians and others).

Kansas Citians would be fools to abolish the e-tax. That money would have to come from somewhere else, most likely property taxes.
People used to live in the burbs and work in KC. KC tried to tax it, now they do both in the burbs.

KC needs some serious help on the tax front. It's out of touch with reality. Turning the inner 670 loop into a "Free trade zone" would be a good start. No Etax, No sales tax and no property tax on commercial real-estate.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
I just ate at Joe's Kansas City and paid Kansas sales tax. Should I get to vote on that, even though I'm not a citizen of Kansas?
Exactly. JOCO residents apparently don't care about ridiculously regressive taxes like 10.0%+ on grocery food items either. That tax level just doesn't happen in most of the US because many states do not tax grocery food items at all. For example, I can go to a grocery store where I live in Indiana and only be charged sales tax if I buy a soda item, but no other categories.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Exactly. JOCO residents apparently don't care about ridiculously regressive taxes like 10.0%+ on grocery food items either. That tax level just doesn't happen in most of the US because many states do not tax grocery food items at all. For example, I can go to a grocery store where I live in Indiana and only be charged sales tax if I buy a soda item, but no other categories.
Cool story man.

When I shop for a house or place to work, I do not consider the price of soda in the supermarket. Paying a flat %1 of gross income is a huge hit to the bottom line.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Cool story man.

When I shop for a house or place to work, I do not consider the price of soda in the supermarket. Paying a flat %1 of gross income is a huge hit to the bottom line.
Thank you for ignoring the point regarding regressive taxes. They certainly do exist in different forms, and taxes on grocery food items are certainly very regressive- meaning very few states impose them. In terms of states that currently lack a state income tax in the Sunbelt, both Texas and Florida have certainly seen quite an uptick in overall cost of living because they are high population growth areas. High population growth areas continually demand more infrastructure, services, schools, fire, police, and other amenities that lead to increases in taxes and cost of living over time. The flat 1% E-tax in KC,MO is not unusual for large cities across the country, and is a more conservative approach compared to very regressive taxes imposed in other categories by other states.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-29-2017 at 05:11 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Thank you for ignoring the point regarding regressive taxes. They certainly do exist in different forms, and taxes on grocery food items are certainly very regressive- meaning very few states impose them. In terms of states that currently lack a state income tax in the Sunbelt, both Texas and Florida have certainly seen quite an uptick in overall cost of living because they are high population growth areas. High population growth areas continually demand more infrastructure, services, schools, fire, police, and other amenities that lead to increases in taxes and cost of living over time. The flat 1% E-tax in KC,MO is not unusual for large cities across the country, and is a more conservative approach compared to very regressive taxes imposed in other categories by other states.
KCMO doesn't provide large city amenities given it's high tax base. It has one single grocery store downtown.

The entire 670 loop needs a tax abatement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City