Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times

Advertisements

What are some nice suburban or rural towns commutable to Kansas City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 19,980 times
What is an acceptable distance for your commute?

Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 AM

13 posts, read 101,669 times
Lee's Summit is pretty nice. Lots of housing, shopping, and not too far from KC. Of course the northern part of Kansas City, and the smaller suburbs, near the airport are nice too. And it's a little closer to downtown. The Lenexa/Olathe area in Kansas is one of my favorite parts of KC as well. Again, lots of housing and shopping. I'm not sure how the school system is out there but I think it is pretty good.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the tips. Ideally we would not want to commute more than 30 minutes or so; 45 minutes would be the most and it would have to be an absolutely great job. Also we want to stay in MO, not go into KS. We are not really city people, but that is where the jobs are so we want to be close by. Ideally, the more rural/quiet the town to live in, the better.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 AM

19 posts, read 109,096 times
Christina, I would like to suggest you check out the northern part of Cass Co., Mo. The price for land is still reasonable and it is an easy commute to KC. Cass Co. is immediately south of Jackson Co., Mo which contains the southern portion of Kansas City. You can check it out and if you would like some more info contact me. I'll try to help. If you like golf in the middle of the country I can tell you about a fabulous place.

Good luck
MissouriLady

Old 07-21-2006, 01:47 PM

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2006, 03:18 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,349 times
Where are you living now? Are you used to driving in winter in the snow and on ice?

Lenexa, KS was suggested, and you indicated you prefer the MO side. Just be prepared for a lot of potholes on the MO side, road maintenance is lousy in MO.

However, cost of living is lower in MO than in KS...especially in Johnson County, KS (where Lenexa is located). It is much more expensive in JOCO...but, the jobs are very plentiful in JOCO and pay very well!

Blue Springs, MO is about 20 minutes east of KC, MO and is a nice area and not too crowded. There are many smaller communities within a 30 minute commute from KC (where the majority of the jobs are). However, again, be prepared for a much longer commute during the winter months.

What is considered "North of the River" (north of KC) is a popular area, but they seem to get the worst of winter.

If you want to work in KC and are from an area where there is no winter, you may not be a happy camper in Jan/Feb when you have to commute on ice. KC area gets a lot of ice every winter (last winter was milder, but not typical).

Best of luck in your move, I know you'll love the people here - top notch, friendly and unpretentious.

Katie

Old 07-23-2006, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the tips. I live in NJ but grew up and learned to drive in the Pocono area of Pennsylvania. I can't imagine the ice and snow would be much worse. I can drive in it - although I don't enjoy it! lol I will definitely focus more on suburbs south of KC.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:03 PM

153 posts, read 1,247,349 times
I think you'd enjoy living here very much! One of my friends who moved to the Kansas side a few years ago (from PA) absolutely loves it. She is correct when she says we "don't have traffic!"....not compared to Philly, or even the L.A. area.

Keep us updated! We have plenty of room for newcomers and welcome all!

Katie

Old 08-02-2006, 07:52 PM

21 posts, read 70,113 times
Smile Also thinking of KC area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriLady
Christina, I would like to suggest you check out the northern part of Cass Co., Mo. The price for land is still reasonable and it is an easy commute to KC. Cass Co. is immediately south of Jackson Co., Mo which contains the southern portion of Kansas City. You can check it out and if you would like some more info contact me. I'll try to help. If you like golf in the middle of the country I can tell you about a fabulous place.

Good luck
MissouriLady
We are in Phx AZ right now and we are looking at moving back to the midwest..we lived in St Louis for 10 years (my hubby was born there but not me) and we really want land...even an older house is ok...just space. I miss the basements and all the extras we had then. Help please....thanks...Marie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City