Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 01:42 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times

Advertisements

I think this is a fairly new area and wasnt around the last time I was in KC.

What are it boundaries? I was looking in the 18th and Main area but it doesnt look like a lot is there so I am thinking I may be a bit off.

What are some decent bars and restaurants in this area? Other than checking out the P&L district I am looking for other alternatives since its not really my type of place.

What is the 18th and Vine area like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
18th and Main is part of the Crossroads, but it's a somewhat spread out district. It can be a neat area, and the First Fridays art show is when it is at it's liveliest. At other times, it can almost seem sleepy. It still is a work in progress.

there's a map here:
The Kansas City Crossroads Arts District: First Fridays, Second Saturdays, Galleries, Community Events Calendar

Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,420 times
I don't know that it has firm boundaries...it's the area immediately to the south of the Central Business District and P&L, and goes a few blocks in each direction. It is spread out, but there are several galleries of various types in the area. It is generally pretty hoppin' on First Fridays.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 AM

476 posts, read 1,316,224 times
Good bars:

Grinders - kinda honky-tonk, artsy place; good food too - was featured on Guy Fieri's show on Food Network
The Cashew - great place to see and be seen, terrific BLTs too
JP Wine Bar - best wine bar in town, great selection and a very sexy setting
Willie's - right across from Sprint Center, a great sports bar
Zoo Bar - also by SC, total dive bar

Good restaurants
Art of Pizza - great thin-crust style pizzas in a sleek modern setting
Nara - sushi place with a terrific view of downtown, honestly I'm not blown away by the sushi though
Lidia's - terrific Italian place by the nationally known TV host, in the Freighthouse Building
Fiorella's Jack Stack - decent BBQ, also in the Freighthouse Building
City Tavern - also in the Freighthouse Building, but I have never liked this place - many others do
La Bodega - best tapas in town IMO
Michael Smith - James Beard winning chef presents some amazing dishes
Extra Virgin - much more casual tapas bar, also run by Michael Smith, a must for foodies
1924 Main - run by noted restauranteur Rob Dalzell, another good foodie restaurant

18th and Vine should be one of our city jewels that we invest a ton of money into. Instead, it is a ghost town, neglected by our city leaders. It is a travesty. I'd still go to see the Negro League Baseball Museum and maybe check out the scene at the Mutual Musicians Foundation, but other than that, there is little to do.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,211 times
Are you here now or coming in the future? As someone said First Fridays is always awesome to check out.

Are you only wanting to check out Crossroads district or other places in KC? I'll be able to give more details depending on what it is your looking to do.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,727 times
If you want to eat and 18th and Vine try Harpers. The lady who owns it is really sweet. The food is healthy soulfood. I never knew it could be done, but she's mastered it after catering for years. There is also a place called the Juke House and imo they have the best fried chicken wings in town!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
I will be there sometime in Nov. Not sure on the weekend yet. I would like to have dinner and drinks somewhere downtown and Plaza. Thanks for all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: