Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

Anybody going to the opening games? They are 0-3 on the road so far so they will fit right in with the other local teams .

We love hockey and plan to catch games while in town as we have already adopted the Washington Caps. Finally a local NHL team to follow!

Anyway, the arena looks nice and the prices and level of hockey are good.

The team plans to unveil its mascot next Wednesday at Bingham Middle School in Independence and then Voy Spears Elementary School in the Blue Springs School District.
■ The team plans programs such as “Grades for Blades” and “Literacy is the Goal” to work with young people.
■ Backyard Burger will have a promotion giving away a free sandwich if the team scores six goals in a game.
■ The machine that tends the arena’s sheet of ice is being sponsored by Chipotle Mexican Grill.
“So the Zamboni is going to be wrapped like a burrito,” Greene said.

Missouri Mavericks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 04:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I predict much attendance in my household. SO is a Buffalo, NY native and grew up with hockey like my brothers grew up with Little League.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
I've actually been to a CHL game in Memphis once. The Mississippi Riverkings, who started out as the Memphis Riverkings, then they moved to the 'burbs. Anyway, the league builds really nice arenas that are the perfect size for this type of thing.
I think people here will really like it. I know that we'll be going frequently.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
I like hockey, butit just seems so far away. Probably won't ever make it out.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:55 AM

^Maybe that's a joke? I don't know. We're talking about something that's roughly 5 minutes from Kauffman as the freeway flies, and is much closer in than anything south of 87th in JoCo.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 AM

I live in JoCo. I am willing to drive that far for a Royals game or Chiefs game, but not minor league hockey. I wouldn't expect people in Independence to come out to 87th Street in JoCo for minor league hockey either.

But best of luck to them. Hope it boosts that area.

Last edited by OneKC; 10-26-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 PM

^Count me as one of those in Independence who would probably drive out by the mall in Olathe just to see minor league hockey. We've even been known to drive to 135th just to eat at Pepperjax or Noodles & Co. I don't like how everything is so spread out around here, but it doesn't keep me from doing anything. As far as southeast Independence is concerned, it's thriving as it is, but this will give it a chance to survive the long run from competition in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:32 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Hey, that's a nice looking team and arena. And the tickets are WAY affordable (compared to the Blues, which are still pretty cheap for NHL level).

My wife and I are making the trip from STL to see our Broncos spank the Chiefs at Arrowhead on December 6, maybe we'll catch the Saturday night game against Amarillo after our mandatory stops at Gates, Boulevard and Brewhaus in Shawnee.

Just kidding about the Broncos spanking the Chiefs. In any given year, it's ALWAYS tough to win at Arrowhead. A loud and insane place with awesome fans.

Of course, the Mavericks' logo is a Horse with Orange and Blue, hmmmm..

Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
^Count me as one of those in Independence who would probably drive out by the mall in Olathe just to see minor league hockey. We've even been known to drive to 135th just to eat at Pepperjax or Noodles & Co. I don't like how everything is so spread out around here, but it doesn't keep me from doing anything. As far as southeast Independence is concerned, it's thriving as it is, but this will give it a chance to survive the long run from competition in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit.
Yea, I think hockey fans are so starved to see action that they probably would drive as far as they had to!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
I live in JoCo. I am willing to drive that far for a Royals game or Chiefs game, but not minor league hockey. I wouldn't expect people in Independence to come out to 87th Street in JoCo for minor league hockey either.

But best of luck to them. Hope it boosts that area.
I agree. I'm the same way with the tbones. If there was a minor league baseball stadium in Lee's Summit, we might have gone to a game or two. But driving to western KCK for minor league baseball is a real waste of time IMO.

Now the hockey team will draw from the region, but it will not be a major draw. I think you will get far more regional draw from the concert schedule at the arena. These types of teams only need about 300-500k markets. That's why they are either in small markets or in regional suburban areas. There are 3/4 million people between Clay, Eastern Jackson and Cass County, plenty to support the team. That's why the team is marketing itself as an eastern jackson county team and not really a metro KC team and there is probably room for a similar team on the KS side.

Having said all that. I would have no problem driving to Olathe from Blue Springs to see some good minor league hockey. We would have been in that group.

Indy needs this as Lee's Summit and Blue Springs and Liberty become more and more affluent and get more and more of their own shopping centers. The arena, Bass Pro, community ice rink etc should help keep that area from becoming the next Bannister Mall, Metro North, Metcalf South etc. Indep Center is by far the nicest mall in the metro. It's the only open and airy mall in town. It would be a shame to see it go into a state of decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City