Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM

131 posts, read 320,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I work with quite a few women in the 25-30 bracket who are single...but the majority of them are rebounding from recently failed "starter" marriages they entered into in their early to midtwenties, so they're not necessarily choice dating material, though smart and attractive...too much man-baggage.
Well-stated. This is exactly what is wrong with modern American society, in my humble opinion.

Why do these women desire "starter" marriages so badly in the 18-24 range and then get divorced so quickly? Is it peer pressure (all my friends are getting married so I have to as well)? Men today should not even bother with marriage, even if they are smart and attractive... too much woman-baggage. Just keep floating from woman to woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonToKC View Post
Well-stated. This is exactly what is wrong with modern American society, in my humble opinion.

Why do these women desire "starter" marriages so badly in the 18-24 range and then get divorced so quickly? Is it peer pressure (all my friends are getting married so I have to as well)? Men today should not even bother with marriage, even if they are smart and attractive... too much woman-baggage. Just keep floating from woman to woman.
I agree

Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I'm no proponent of floating from woman to woman (or man to man, for that matter), I'm a big fan of stable, mutually committed relationships, overall. But I'm also no proponent of grasping at marriage, no matter who you're with or what the circumstances, because somebody, or lots of somebodies, told you that's "what you're supposed to do by x age." I'm no fan of doing ANYthing due to that type of reasoning, in all honesty.

Choose your relationships wisely, and commit to working at them. Don't get married because it's something to check off your list. Follow these suggestions, and you greatly decrease your chances of joining the ranks of the failed starter marriage veterans. There will always be failed marriages...but where's the sense in setting yourself up to fail?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:33 PM
dnw

11 posts, read 40,233 times
When I got out of college and took a job in KC I was excited since I thought moving to a big city would provide me with lots of girls to meet and being an attractrive, nice guy with a college degree in his mid 20's I didn't think I would have trouble meeting girls but dating in KC has been lackluster for me.
I've tried the bar scene but I hate going to bars and people in KC aren't friendly to people they don't know so I haven't meet anybody that way. I've also tried internet dating on OKcupid and plentyoffish since they are free but most of the girls on there are fat/have kids but I have dated a few girls from those sites. One of the few friends I have made here in the city outside of work is a girl I meet on a dating site.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:26 PM

486 posts, read 1,034,922 times
I agree, the dating scene in KC was a little too slow for me as well. It just seems that since KC isn't viewed as a 'destination' city for young people following uni, etc, there aren't many young singles looking to meet new people. I found that many in town sort of just hang out with their high school or local college friends, and don't like to branch out much after their low 20's.

People tend to get married at a very young age...low to mid 20's. Too young for for my taste. Many of them end up divorced at around 30 or before. Sometimes I just want to say, 'Come on people, wait a couple of years and make sure you've made the right decision before jumping in!' I agree with the other poster in that I 100% believe in strong committed relationships, but it seems some people try this at an age that's very young. People in general grow up and change a lot between 22 and 35. I don't know, maybe it's the strong conservative religious influence in the region, or just lack of dating options?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 PM

25 posts, read 78,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatten01 View Post
My problem is the other way around from what the men said above. Even being a 23 yo attractive (athletic- and have modeled) female- it's hard to meet any quality single people. I'm recently single, so some girlfriends have been taking me out -and other than a casual fling (that I wouldn't normally be attracted to for more than a day) I haven't really noticed anything worth keeping (of course- the midwest standard- is be married right after college- and I'm not in a hurry to get married- so all I seem to meet are men already married (no thanks) or men who are in a hurry to get married or men who are older and not married for an obvious reason) lol. I still can't talk myself into trying internet dating... ugh. So- the whole point of this reply- is dating in the midwest sucks ..... Sorry- for the bad news. Good luck tho! As a city- I enjoy KC and the downtown is growing. As an artist- I love the art district and it's nice being able to walk around the city at night. A little small- but not too bad for a laid back place.
yeah, seriously! I have to say that it's much more the ladies who have the butt end of the stick in this situation. to be honest, I've met cuter guys at the missouri state fair in a day than in all of midtown in four months. but there sure doesn't seem to be a shortage of cute girls...hah.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 PM

131 posts, read 320,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarhandles View Post
but there sure doesn't seem to be a shortage of cute girls...hah.
Where are they? Even if they are single, they must get snapped up in less than an hour, complete with engagement ring....

Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarhandles View Post
but there sure doesn't seem to be a shortage of cute girls...hah.
Most of them are already married with kids and younger than 25!
It is just the "rural mentality" that exists socially in KC.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 PM

66 posts, read 243,917 times
Ha, I think the OP has probably got the idea that KC is not the greatest city for singles. It's got some other positive aspects such as good BBQ, fairly low cost of living, central location so it's easy to travel (throughout the U.S. anyhow) but it can be extremely hard for single people in their twenties or older and especially if you're not originally from the area. I'm so grateful that this isn't an issue for me being that I'm married and grateful. I just watch as an amused observer when out and about in KC and it looks like it's a pretty desperate scene as far as that goes. On a positive note though I think if I person is genuine and comfortable in being up front about who they really are they'll probably find someone regardless of where they live; though it may be more difficult in some places because of the lack of "fresh meat". Good luck.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I have to say, I found it to be a great place to move when I was already in a relationship! That says something. Really, though, from my not-on-the-market perspective, I go out to where there are singles, and it really doesn't look any different from anywhere else I've ever lived. The bar scene can look pretty desperate no matter where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City