U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,868 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was offered a job working in Olathe, KS for Garmin. I've been looking at apartments and need to find something quickly, as I would begin work in a couple weeks. I've been using Kansas City Premier Apartments and found a nice "loft" in River Market. I'm 23 and would be moving to KC by myself and not knowing anyone. I wanted to be in an area where I could walk out of my apartment and have friendly streets and walk to coffee shops (and the like). Also, I want to make sure that I live in a place that gives me the opportunity to meet people. River Market seems to satisfy this. Any input from KC'ers?

Also, how's the traffic leaving KC and going to Olathe? Average travel time?

Thanks!

Brian
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 01:19 PM

11,002 posts, read 20,632,492 times
The Rivermarket area is a great urban neighborhood with quite a few housing options. There is a huge new rental complex opening near the Broadway Bridge that you might want to check out, but you will find all types of urban housing there all within walking distance of a lot of restaurants etc, plus the City Market is nearby.

If for some reason you can't find something in the River Market, also check out areas of Downtown near the Library or along Broadway, areas in the Crossroads District near Union Station, areas in the heart of Westport and much of the Plaza area.

The drive to Garmin from Downtown would be pretty easy since you will be going against traffic. You might have some slowdowns around 635 or 69, but actual delays more than a minute or so would be very rare. It would still be a good 25-30 minute drive door to door though.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:02 AM

475 posts, read 1,197,447 times
The River Market had a lot of momentum going for it in the housing boom that seems to have leveled off quite a bit in the recession. There are still loft projects going through that seem exciting, but lots of bars and restaurants have gone out of business in the area. Other good ones have popped up to replace them (Farmhouse = awesome), but its not quite the vibrant area I would have hoped it would be by now. Still, its an area I think has a lot of upside, its very close to downtown, has easy highway access (which helps if you're working in Olathe), not terribly expensive and is relatively safe.

I still think if you can afford it, the Plaza is the best place in the metro to just pop out of your building, walk down the street, and get a nice cup of joe or a beer. Highway access isn't nearly as good though - you'd have to take SM Parkway all the way to I-35, or take 71 all the way to 435, both significant commutes.

Since you are making the reverse commute from downtown to Johnson County, you're commute won't be that bad at all. I'd say it will take you 30 minutes tops, and you can laugh at all the cars stuck in traffic going the other way.

Best of luck, welcome to KC and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,517 times
Used to live there, thank God I don't now. Your commute will be okay, if you work a normal day shift because the traffic will be opposite from where you are looking to live. Olathe is fine and is a popular suburb on the Kansas side. You will quickly learn of the "Johnson County people" vs. the Missouri people. They hate each other. Also. watch out for the plethora of ghetto areas, like: Argentine area, Kansas City, Ks. area, Independence, Raytown, and Grandview. Fewer hillbillies than North Carolina, unless you go rural KS or MO. BTW- there is nothing to do in KC during winter! no mountains, no ocean, just failing malls and The Plaza.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 AM

37,378 posts, read 45,411,479 times
I think you'll enjoy what living in KC itself has to offer, versus getting a place near work. My SO has worked in Olathe since relocating to KC, and until we bought a home in Lee's Summit (MO side suburban community) in the fall, we lived exclusively in the city itself. River Market would be a nice area to live in to meet people, as would the Plaza. We lived in the Plaza and Waldo (neighborhood further south in KC city limits) before we bought our home, and both were easy places to be social and get out and about. The commute TO Johnson County, KS is ALWAYS better than the commute FROM Johnson County, as others have mentioned...SO has a pretty "gross," by KC standards, commute, going from Lee's Summit to Olathe, and even that is nothing, to be honest, unless there's icy road conditions and/or accidents, just like any commute.

Also, fear not, there is actually plenty to do in KC any time of the year, winter included. Even without mountains or oceans, amazingly enough.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:06 PM

11,002 posts, read 20,632,492 times
There is plenty to do in KC in the winter. The city could really use a pro winter sport (NHL or NBA), but other than that, I don't see how KC is really any different than any other city in that regard (having less to do in the winter or just not wanting to get out in the cold and snow).

I know, I missed the plaza, crown center, the giant model train display at union station etc. KC has a great concert and broadway play / live theater scene, especially this time of year.

Take advantage of some of the museums like the WW1 or Negro Leagues or Steamboat or Nelson this time of year.

Snow Creek is a great close by ski option that KC is lucky to have. Most towns don't have one that nice that close.

There is a lot to do in KC.

Now if you move to a monotonous typical suburb like Olathe and hang out at Dave and Busters or Village West, I can see why people would think there is not much to do .

BTW, JoCo/SouthMetro traffic can be pretty nasty. There are many times where it can compare to the cities out here. That 435/470/71 run on the south side between JoCo/Cass/LS can be a nightmare if there is a wreck or something. the difference is you might have to deal with that a few times a month, not a few times a week .

Last edited by kcmo; 01-01-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 08:04 PM

448 posts, read 1,317,076 times
I think moving to River Market is an excellent choice. You will find many of the residents are like you new, or newer to Kansas City, many single or not but looking to meet new people. My cousin lives in a complex at River Market and is always talking to neighbors and meeting new neighbors. There are some cute little coffee shops in the area and resturants that you can walk to.

Plaza is also a good option, but I would say people around the plaza may be a little less friendly. But the Plaza would have more walkability.

Good luck and if you have more questions about KC post and I would say everyone will be very good about responding. This board is really a wealth of knowledge and I being a life long resident of the area always learn new things about the city.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:53 PM

486 posts, read 945,253 times
The River Market's a good choice. The revitalization of the area has had fits and starts over the last several years, but I'd say that now it would be a great place to live, especially for a young, single person. There you're at the northern end of downtown and have great access to the highway for work. You'd be bored out of your mind if you moved to Olathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City