Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 PM

8 posts, read 15,920 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving from Seattle WA soon to Cass county area due to lack of jobs in Washington state with my family We are a mixed latino family and live in a mixed latino neighborhood currently and are looking for a neighborhood similar to the one we are in now. we will be moving to the Raymore Belton area first thing, does anyone know how the area is. Also we enjoy going to latin clubs here and wondered if there are many there. Also as a mixed family would we have issues in that area I have only visited there a few times with my family and we didn't really check out the area any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Belton/Raymore/Peculiar areas are rural and predominately white. I doubt you will find "latino clubs" there.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
^^Suburban, yes, rural, not so much.
Good thing is, many KC suburbs have large latino populations. Cass County is mostly white, but not completely so, nor does it come across as overtly racist.

Western and the "old" northeastern parts of Kansas City, Missouri and southern parts of Kansas City, Kansas have large latino populations, as do suburbs such as Olathe, Overland Park, Gladstone, and many others. The number of businesses, clubs, and restaurants coincide with that.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
^^Suburban, yes, rural, not so much.
Good thing is, many KC suburbs have large latino populations. Cass County is mostly white, but not completely so, nor does it come across as overtly racist.

Western and the "old" northeastern parts of Kansas City, Missouri and southern parts of Kansas City, Kansas have large latino populations, as do suburbs such as Olathe, Overland Park, Gladstone, and many others. The number of businesses, clubs, and restaurants coincide with that.
Yea, Raymore and Belton is more suburban than rural, but it probably has a more rural or country culture than most area suburban areas. But most of the rest of Cass County is very rural. Peculiar is very rural.

Just keep that in mind if you settle there. It's a fine suburban community, but it's a far cry from what you may be used to in the Seattle area or what the rest of the KC area offers in terms of more diversity and generally, more "metropolitan".

In Raymore, Belton etc, you are very close to metro Kansas City and some of the larger suburbs like Overland Park and Lee's Summit which will over more.

I have never really thought of Seattle as being Latino. I would think the KC area as a whole would probably have a larger Latino population, but I don't know that for sure.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Plenty of Latino's in Cass Cty. Several Hispanic grocery stores in Belton. I think you will fit in just fine. No Latino clubs in Cass Cty that i know of. Most likely in KCKS area around Argentine district maybe. Not up to speed on that stuff.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for the feed back from everyone, much appreciated.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,613 times
I live in South Kansas city, just north of Cass County. I second what Versitile stated, there is a growing latino population in the South Kansas City, north Cass County area. I do suggest sticking with the more developed/ northern parts of Cass County as they are more suburban like other posters have suggested. The further south you are the more rural the area will be.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:25 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Raymore/Belton is suburban and actually has a small Asian population (not sure about Latino), so you won't be the only minorities. It's a nice area, I used to go there to shop when I worked in Cass County.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Default angela

My family moved to Raymore ten years ago and said it had change alot since I was there in 99 And keeps saying its a great area to raise family in I Having lived here most of my life, tend to like living more near a city so we are trying to figure to stay there or move more towards the city my mom keeps saying things about the schools in raymore are better than other areas. I really appreciate everyone who has responded its a big move for me and my family.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
The first Latina I met here in KC, a coworker of mine, lives in Belton, so does most of her family. She went to Ray-Pec High School, and felt very culturally isolated at the time, but says that the Latino population has increased since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City