Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 AM

10 posts, read 53,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin View Post
Depends on what you like, I have lived in both and for my money I would pick mo every time. when you hit the boarder the land changes, you have trees in mo, and hills, and the taxes are much cheaper.
Resale on your home would be much better.
I feel mo. is set to have a big run, as south carolina is becoming so expensive and crowded, where are people going to head? Arkansas and missouri. People do not settle down to a retirement in KS unless they have family working there or were from there originaly, for the most part people like what Missouri and Arkansas have to offer. There is branson eurika springs hot springs. You are not far from memphis or st. louis where there are things to do.
I lived in wichita and the attitude there is go to work and pay your taxes and shut up, go to church if you need more.
Kansas city on the mo side is a fun town. lots to do.
Many people from wichita go to kansas city for fun. nothing to do in wichita
I'm going to politely argue that a few of these points aren't quite ringing true. There are plenty of trees on the Kansas side - just as many as in Missouri. I think resale value on homes is generally better in JoCo, as well. There is still a stigma as to where to live - Kansas side or Missouri side, and you'll find your supporters of both - but in general, the areas within the Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley school districts are wonderful for resale value so long as you are moving to the right neighborhoods. I tend to think things are a little more well-kept and manicured on the KS side, too.

There are some hipper neighborhoods in Missouri, and nearly anything cultural you'll take part in will be across the state line. Pockets like Brookside, Waldo, the Jazz District, and the revamped downtown are in Missouri, but the areas where most people are moving, such as Liberty, Lee's Summit, and Grandview, are just as guilty as Olathe for cookie-cutter, poorly-constructed subdivisions.

And, plenty of people retire in Kansas. I don't know where that logic comes from. There are a great number of established, 50+ year old neighborhoods in Kansas (and Missouri), and I'd wager you'd find just as many if not more retirees on the KS side. Any boom in Missouri and Arkansas (?) shouldn't play a part in a market-searcher. Look at the areas west of KC and east of Lawrence for "population booming".

What you should do, is check out the areas for yourself and see which ones you prefer. Some people are die-hard Missourians, and wouldn't live in Kansas, and vice-versa. For some folks, it's hard to put into words, just a feel thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 05:25 AM

104 posts, read 686,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztrumpet5 View Post
I'm going to politely argue that a few of these points aren't quite ringing true. There are plenty of trees on the Kansas side - just as many as in Missouri. I think resale value on homes is generally better in JoCo, as well. There is still a stigma as to where to live - Kansas side or Missouri side, and you'll find your supporters of both - but in general, the areas within the Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley school districts are wonderful for resale value so long as you are moving to the right neighborhoods. I tend to think things are a little more well-kept and manicured on the KS side, too.

There are some hipper neighborhoods in Missouri, and nearly anything cultural you'll take part in will be across the state line. Pockets like Brookside, Waldo, the Jazz District, and the revamped downtown are in Missouri, but the areas where most people are moving, such as Liberty, Lee's Summit, and Grandview, are just as guilty as Olathe for cookie-cutter, poorly-constructed subdivisions.

And, plenty of people retire in Kansas. I don't know where that logic comes from. There are a great number of established, 50+ year old neighborhoods in Kansas (and Missouri), and I'd wager you'd find just as many if not more retirees on the KS side. Any boom in Missouri and Arkansas (?) shouldn't play a part in a market-searcher. Look at the areas west of KC and east of Lawrence for "population booming".

What you should do, is check out the areas for yourself and see which ones you prefer. Some people are die-hard Missourians, and wouldn't live in Kansas, and vice-versa. For some folks, it's hard to put into words, just a feel thing.
Excellent!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:58 PM

35 posts, read 103,982 times
Default Moved here from TN

We followed our children to Kansas from TN. We retired and stayed in Kansas because in Kansas there is no state tax on your retirement, ya-hoo, property taxes are higher in Johnson County (Kansas) but at least you can see where your taxes are going! Good roads, tons of parks and recreation, Johnson County schools are great, some of the best in the country, check out great schools.net . Overland Park KS was in the top 10 cities on "the top 100 cities to live in", check out CNN website, I think Johnson County is one of the best places to raise a child because of the school sand all the activities available to them. The worst, I do miss Southern Baptist Churches, and friendly southerners. The majority of JOCO people are spoiled, kids too, and not real friendly,I was asked why I moved to KS and not MO by some MO co-workers when I first moved to KS, they said JOCO folks were snobs but the MO folks werent real friendly either. MO is beautiful especially around Ste. Genevieve MO,and you can get land cheaper in MO, theres none affordable in KS

Old 11-09-2007, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 19,192 times
In SE KS and SW MO I heard a good description while reading other posts--SE KS is very 'plains' as in farmers, ranchers, small towns, flatter land, etc. While SW MO is very 'Ozark'--think more hills, battling banjos (ha, ha), etc.

Weird that they border each other and in many ways are quite different.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM

822 posts, read 2,035,607 times
People living on the border are not good ones to ask. Goes back to that whole Quantrill and General Order #11 thing. People haven't gotten over it yet.

General Order â„– 11 (1863) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-11-2007, 04:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,669,497 times
If you live in the KC area, you want to live in Johnson County KS. Mostly everything in Missouri is either ghetto or redneck white trash areas and the exceptions like Independence and Country Club Plaza are pricey. You can live good in Shanwnee, Overland Park or Olathe and not be bothered by crack heads or meth addicts.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:03 PM

822 posts, read 2,035,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If you live in the KC area, you want to live in Johnson County KS. Mostly everything in Missouri is either ghetto or redneck white trash areas and the exceptions like Independence and Country Club Plaza are pricey. You can live good in Shanwnee, Overland Park or Olathe and not be bothered by crack heads or meth addicts.
Are you serious? I am a Kansan so I'm biased, but there are places in Missouri that are very nice and places in Kansas that are dumps and vice versa. No crack heads or meth addicts in Olathe? Olathe has more than its fair share of both. I would think Liberty and Lees Summit would both compare favorably to Shawnee and Overland Park. One of my daughters lived on the Plaza for a while and it is not what it's cracked up to be (no pun intended).

Anyone who swears that there is no decent place to live in the state of (insert name here) is not being rational.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:03 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,995,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Are you serious? I am a Kansan so I'm biased, but there are places in Missouri that are very nice and places in Kansas that are dumps and vice versa. No crack heads or meth addicts in Olathe? Olathe has more than its fair share of both. I would think Liberty and Lees Summit would both compare favorably to Shawnee and Overland Park. One of my daughters lived on the Plaza for a while and it is not what it's cracked up to be (no pun intended).

Anyone who swears that there is no decent place to live in the state of (insert name here) is not being rational.
Bravo! You are absolutely correct! It always amazes me when anyone encapsulates an entire state and makes the claim that "everyone" or "everything" in that state is trash.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,669,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post

I did NOT say there are no decent places in Missouri to live. What I said was that FOR THE MONEY you get a much better deal in Johnson County Kansas. I happen to agree with you about Liberty but you can get much more house in Johnson County for the same money than you can get in Missouri and you will be closer to work. Much of the housing stock in Johnson County is newer and larger than it is in Missouri anywhere close to downtown KC MO. And you sure as hell don't want to live east of downtown KC MO. The houses there are nice old big houses but the neighbourhoods suck. In North KC, the houses are quite small for a family. That only leaves the far south area and further east such as Raytown which is largely a "trailer park without the wheels". So Missouri does have good areas- in fact really good areas but they tend to be further out and more pricey than Johnson County. And BTW, I would not recommend anybody move to KC KS for the samw reason so it is not a state vs state thing.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:24 PM

116 posts, read 420,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
What is your opinion as to which is the better state to live/work? And why do you feel that way?
My choice is Kansas. There is no place like home. Born and raised in Kansas, never had reason to live anywhere else. However any place can be the best place to live if you have loved ones around. It’s up to you to bloom where you are planted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City