Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times

Advertisements

Anyone actually there to see this? I wasn't... but know of some people who were there.

They said a lot of the teenagers there were straight up douchbags and the police were right to try and disperse them, though some people who weren't to blame got caught up in the process.

Other people are saying its the movie theater, since they got rid of the age restriction. I can actually speak on that since I always go to cinemark on the plaza, and since they removed the age restriction you see a lot more annoy teenagers there just dropped off by their parents. I've seen a lot more obnoxious and annoying people, and I mean the type who during the movie or if something doesn't go the way they want yell loudly and whine.

Not sure what the answer is, cuz I have no problem with teenagers, I have friends that still are teenagers (tho 18-19, so barely). The issue is just be mindful and respectful of others... once they start causing problems it ruins it for everyone. I'm still not really sure what happened.

I've heard they are going to see about the movie theater putting back the age restrictions and possibly setting curfews for the area as well. I think it kinda sucks cuz on the curfew I have no problems with any teenagers being out if they aren't being douchebags... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to keep it from turning into what it apparently was over the weekend. The movie idea I definitely prefer, one of the reasons I used to always go to that theater was the age restrictions... and not just cuz of teenagers but cuz of lil kids as well..

But don't really know the whole situation, anyone else happen to know more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
11 to 13 year old kids should not be out that late without their parents. I heard there were 11 year old kids hanging out on the streets at 11PM at night. That is unacceptable anywhere.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Every urban area deals with this, including KC in the past with Crown Center, Swope Park, Westport etc. They will eventually move on. But in the mean time, the plaza will get a ghetto or "dangerous" label which I hope doesn't do more permanent damage to the Plaza than a few what these incidents will do.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
11 to 13 year old kids should not be out that late without their parents. I heard there were 11 year old kids hanging out on the streets at 11PM at night. That is unacceptable anywhere.
Agree, I have seen this in Crown Center. These are kids that no normal parent would allow to run the streets unsupervised.

They should be taken to their homes and their parents arrested...

It might just keep these kids from eventually going to prison or getting killed a few years down the road or having ten kids of their own running the streets that they too won't care about or have any idea where they are.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:12 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
Sounds like this was organized on Facebook. I'd say its probably an isolated incident, although I am willing to bet everyone - KCPD, Highwoods, suburban residents, Plaza storeowners - overreacts.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM

From people who work down there, they said this has been a growing problem over the last few weeks.

What did they organize exactly? Hey everyone lets go to the plaza and start some ****?? Who does that.

Cops said they are going to be ticketing parents of kids who are out there unsupervised.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Perhaps it is time to return to the curfew they used to have on the Plaza for minors unless they are accompanied by a parent. Seems the responsibility of behaving like responsible citizens is too much for them to handle.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
I'd say its probably an isolated incident, although I am willing to bet everyone - KCPD, Highwoods, suburban residents, Plaza storeowners - overreacts.
They will and should react swiftly. Local residents will too. There's a lot at stake....

If the customer base (no matter what part of town they live) doesn't feel safe, they'll go elsewhere. That's the bottom line.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
They will and should react swiftly. Local residents will too. There's a lot at stake....

If the customer base (no matter what part of town they live) doesn't feel safe, they'll go elsewhere. That's the bottom line.
Agreed. There was a time when the Plaza was the only place to go where outdoor shopping could be combined with movies and nice eateries. With Town Center, Zona Rosa and The Legends, this is no longer the case. I believe Zona Rosa has included outdoor bands as well. The Plaza is going to have to go above and beyond to keep itself inviting and "safe" in the eyes of patrons. When the Plaza falls South KCMO goes with it. It is S. KCMO's best last chance, IMO.

How many KCMO traditional malls have been destroyed by teens running rampant? Bannister and Ward Parkway come to mind of the top of my head. What has happened to the property values around those areas? Not good!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 PM

Police sort through Saturday night problems on, near Plaza - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/12/1871791/unruly-gathering-of-hundreds-of.html - broken link)

I dunno.. i still go to westport, and I've seen some bad stuff in westport but normally found it pretty isolated. I would hope the plaza doesn't have to turn into cops on every corner now...thatd be messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City