Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady300 View Post

Is it true that carrying a gun in KCMO is almost neccessery? Where did I read that? I forgot but of course it freaked me out!!!
I don't know if anybody else addressed this, but no, it is NOT necessary to carry a gun in KCMO. For those of us who have spent years traipsing, unarmed, in every corner of KC, both good and bad, the thought that one would need a gun to do this seems silly.

If you don't do drugs, sell drugs, belong to a gang, or engage in criminal behavior, or hang around people who do, you have very, very little to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,211 times
Quote:
I wanna say thanks to everyone. You have no idea how much I've been slaving over this. I wasn't really aware that people lived on the Kansas side but commuted to the Missouri side until I accidently uncovered it during all of this research. Then from what I could tell, people seemed to enjoy the Kansas side better , then I was like OMG!!! Better get to the Kansas side. The more I mull over this, the more I feel downtown may not be for me....I dunno...nothing can beat living in the city of decatur. It's got the urban feel without the crime and lacks the big city intimidation I hate. If anybody wants to move to GA...The City of Decatur Rocks hard!! Stay out of south decatur though.

famus:
Angels Rock Bar.....you ever recall a band called the Heartbreakers? Does the name Mikey sound familiar? If not no biggie, just curious.
People enjoy both sides. The KS burbs are no better then the MO burbs.... it comes down to personal preference.

You may see people from KS side diss MO side saying its unsafe, the reality is its fine, its burbs are fine (which are in KC as well) and its very nice. the KCMO school district itself sucks... however Liberty, Platte, and North Kansas City are all very good..

You might see people from the MO side diss KS as being bland and cookie cutter (and im guilty of it as well)... you will find cookie cutter on both sides, and JoCo has some quaint older areas as well that are very nice...

You should check out both sides and see what you think. I do believe that anywhere between River Market and Plaza are very safe and you would enjoy a lot though...

Old 05-21-2010, 04:45 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,887 times
Since the OP seems very apprehensive about driving in snow, I'd suggest something close to the bus line so she can leave the car at home in bad weather.

I really like the looks of Quality Hill.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:25 PM

62 posts, read 143,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Since the OP seems very apprehensive about driving in snow, I'd suggest something close to the bus line so she can leave the car at home in bad weather.

I really like the looks of Quality Hill.
How are the road conditions on the MO side anyway? I've received good feedback about the KS side so I'm wondering about the MO side.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
How are the road conditions on the MO side anyway? I've received good feedback about the KS side so I'm wondering about the MO side.
It's fine. We had some unusually bad snow this past winter, which left many suburbs uncleared for a couple days, but many of the main roads were completely cleared, highways were fine, etc....

KC has sporadic winters, some with hardly any snow at all... so I feel the city is never really prepared cuz they don't know what to expect.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:14 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
It's fine. We had some unusually bad snow this past winter, which left many suburbs uncleared for a couple days, but many of the main roads were completely cleared, highways were fine, etc....

KC has sporadic winters, some with hardly any snow at all... so I feel the city is never really prepared cuz they don't know what to expect.
This past winter was unusually bad, that's true, but resulted in more than a "couple days" of 6-8 inches of untouched snow in residential areas. People were really mad and with good reason. The city was unprepared. There are threads here on the subject

//www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...-february.html

'KCMO does not plow the streets like JoCo does and probably never will." - kcmo (the poster)

Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
This past winter was unusually bad, that's true, but resulted in more than a "couple days" of 6-8 inches of untouched snow in residential areas. People were really mad and with good reason. The city was unprepared. There are threads here on the subject

//www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...-february.html

'KCMO does not plow the streets like JoCo does and probably never will." - kcmo (the poster)
JoCo doesn't have to budget for as much as KC does... its easy to focus on snowplowing when you have less responsibility as a city.

Anyways.. as said it was an unusually bad winter.. I said in the post you linked they budget for 5-6 inches a month, we had 16 inches within a matter of a few days. Should they have done a better job? Yeah.... was it the end of the world? hardly.... and that winter was not at all Representative of what we normally have.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Anyways.. as said it was an unusually bad winter.. I said in the post you linked they budget for 5-6 inches a month, we had 16 inches within a matter of a few days. Should they have done a better job? Yeah.... was it the end of the world? hardly.... and that winter was not at all Representative of what we normally have.
it was also quickly pointed out that the average snow accumulation in KC is about 20 inches per year. To budget for 5-6 is just irresponsible. yes, it was unusual to get that much in such a short time. No, it wasn't the end of the world, but only because, fortunately, no one died waiting for an ambulance that couldn't get to them.

But I digress ...

With respect to choosing a more urban residence so that you can take the bus in bad weather, you should keep in mind that you will have to walk to and from as well as wait for the bus in that same bad weather. yuck! Wouldn't be my choice.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
it was also quickly pointed out that the average snow accumulation in KC is about 20 inches per year. To budget for 5-6 is just irresponsible. yes, it was unusual to get that much in such a short time. No, it wasn't the end of the world, but only because, fortunately, no one died waiting for an ambulance that couldn't get to them.

But I digress ...

With respect to choosing a more urban residence so that you can take the bus in bad weather, you should keep in mind that you will have to walk to and from as well as wait for the bus in that same bad weather. yuck! Wouldn't be my choice.

You seem to have a hard time reading today... I said 5-6 inches per month. If snowy months are considered November to February that's over 20 inches a year.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I said 5-6 inches per month.
Yes, you did, sorry.

Still no excuse, IMO, for what happened this past winter. Yes, it was unusual, but not unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City