Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:00 PM

62 posts, read 143,353 times

Advertisements

What can you guys tell me about Roeland Park? Is it nice, safe, fun etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,693,036 times
when I grew up in the Quindaro Bluffs area I used to mow lawns out there, we thought it was the "Rich Neighborhood" LOL, But now I think the city has changed so much with the new construction moving far South of there. It is a very nice area. One of my in laws use to have a house they rented out in Roeland Park. I have another friend in Fairway, Lots of younger people out there too. I really like those areas. Johnson County Community College has grown so big, I think Students have moved into all those older neighborhoods. If you can find something out there, grab it!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:44 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,279,155 times
Prairie Village is a good close area (nicer than Mission or Roeland Park) and pretty easy to get downtown. I used to work at Saint Luke's Hospital near the Plaza - which isn't downtown, but not far away - and I could get there in 20 minutes cutting through Mission Hills and down Ward Parkway.

But...the apartments in Prairie Village are all older places with higher rent. There's an Amli apartment complex just west of Nall on 107th (I think), but then you are adding time onto your commute. But it's a nice, newer complex. My daughter lives in an Amli apartment complex in Overland Park, has a 1 bdr apart, and her rent is $616 a month. That's not their advertised rate, but she went into the leasing office and took a tour and they said if she signed a year lease within a certain amount of time (a few days), they'd let her have the apartment for $616/month.

Kansas *is* a better place to live, in my and lots of others' opinion.

Temperatures in the winter can vary. This last winter was a cold winter with lots of snow, but normally temperatures are more moderate. Temperatures do get down to the single digits in the winter, but they don't normally stay that way for a long time. I don't know of any snow driving classes. You don't have to have snow tires, but all weather radials are good, and I'd recommend having a front wheel drive car at least.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Prairie Village is a good close area (nicer than Mission or Roeland Park) and pretty easy to get downtown. I used to work at Saint Luke's Hospital near the Plaza - which isn't downtown, but not far away - and I could get there in 20 minutes cutting through Mission Hills and down Ward Parkway.

But...the apartments in Prairie Village are all older places with higher rent. There's an Amli apartment complex just west of Nall on 107th (I think), but then you are adding time onto your commute. But it's a nice, newer complex. My daughter lives in an Amli apartment complex in Overland Park, has a 1 bdr apart, and her rent is $616 a month. That's not their advertised rate, but she went into the leasing office and took a tour and they said if she signed a year lease within a certain amount of time (a few days), they'd let her have the apartment for $616/month.

Kansas *is* a better place to live, in my and lots of others' opinion.

Temperatures in the winter can vary. This last winter was a cold winter with lots of snow, but normally temperatures are more moderate. Temperatures do get down to the single digits in the winter, but they don't normally stay that way for a long time. I don't know of any snow driving classes. You don't have to have snow tires, but all weather radials are good, and I'd recommend having a front wheel drive car at least.

Wow it was like you read my mind...I was about to ask if people could throw out some apartment names. Does the city normally shut down if the snow and ice are too bad? Just curious....I'm assuming it doesn't. Also don't you have to cross over a bridge to get into MO? And bridges are where ice accumulate the most right?

Thanks

Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Ya know, the more I think about this the more frightened I become. I mean I don't know anyone in MO or KS. I can't drive on snow and God forbid ice. My entire family is in GA. I dunno I think I'm getting cold feet. But sheesh...I'm a grown woman...I shouldn't be feeling this way right? What if everything goes wrong? I mean moving back won't be easy.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,506,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady300 View Post
Wow it was like you read my mind...I was about to ask if people could throw out some apartment names. Does the city normally shut down if the snow and ice are too bad? Just curious....I'm assuming it doesn't. Also don't you have to cross over a bridge to get into MO? And bridges are where ice accumulate the most right?

Thanks
Roeland Park/Mission are nice, but I think you will like Prairie Village a little better. Maybe not though, definitely check out both as well as other options. The nice thing about renting is that you won't be tied too long to an area if you decide you like another part of town better.

JoCo in general is nice and safe.

There are only a few places where you cross an actual bridge to get into MO. If you live in JoCo, you probably won't even know you have crossed unless you see the sign on I35 or cross State Line Road or whatever.

Highly traveled roads don't accumulate ice. They treat the roads and with the heavy traffic, it can't accumulate.

If there is not much traffic on a bridge and you think it might be icy, then yes, you should slow down and "coast" over it. But good grief, Girl! You are worrying WAY too much about the ice and snow.

The only time it's really a problem is if there is a big storm and sometimes snow accumulates faster than the plows can move it off, so I will avoid the highways for a day or so. Within 12-24 hours of a storm, the main roads will be clear. In JoCo, this includes the residential areas, even the quiet street in front of my house was clear ALL winter, and we had an unusual amount of snow this year. If you have to drive on a little bit of snow here or there, you just slow down a little. It's really not a big deal. You will be used to it in no time.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Ya know, the more I think about this the more frightened I become. I mean I don't know anyone in MO or KS. I can't drive on snow and God forbid ice. My entire family is in GA. I dunno I think I'm getting cold feet. But sheesh...I'm a grown woman...I shouldn't be feeling this way right? What if everything goes wrong? I mean moving back won't be easy.
Sounds pretty normal to me to be apprehensive. It's a big move!

I think you are doing the right thing by asking lots of questions. But that's all you can do: Prepare as best you can. After that, you have to trust yourself and your own judgment and decision making.

If the best happens, you will love it in KC, build your life just the way you want it to be and everything will be great!

If the worst happens and you decide to move back, then at least you will know for sure, you will have tried your best and taken a leap. You will be stronger for it and you will have that adventure to look back on and be able to acknowledge all that you learned from it.

Chances are, there might be a little bit of both in there. Some great things and some learning experiences. Ultimately, Life is what you decide to make it.

Can't lose, IMO

Oh! ... and send me a message when you get here! I'll meet ya for a margarita!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Now that sounds like a winner!
LOL. Best of luck with your move here. I moved 10 years ago from Chicago and LOVE it here. I grew up in a town of 5k so it's a wonderful mix of urban and things to do and suburban at the same time.

Check out shawnee mission and lenexa, you are within 20min of downtown and they are very safe and suburban although earlier advice migth suit you too.

Best of luck.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,916,987 times
Quote:
Do you actually have a choice? If so, then ya, might want to stay in Atlanta. One thing that KC seems to lack is a lot of professional minorities while having more than its fair share of poor and less educated minorities. Most african americans I know moved from KC after college to places like Atlanta. As an A-A, that is something you might think about. Somebody needs to tell you this so you don't find out the hard way. You may be just fine, but you should know this is probably going to be something you will notice very quickly.

But if this is some sort of dream job that you can't pass up, then don't.

KC is a fine city, it's just not on the same level as some cities when it comes to some issues. I don't think these issues are anything you couldn't overcome though.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
One thing that KC seems to lack is a lot of professional minorities
Did she say what profession she is in?

I know plenty of minorities who are professionals. But being one myself and dealing mainly with other professionals, maybe I meet more than what is typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City