Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

What the F does this mean and did Kansas actually pay somebody to come up with this?

person one:
"Went to Kansas last week. It was just as big as I thought!"

person two:
"Really? I wasn't sure if it's as big as I think it is, maybe we should go there too!"

person one:
"you really should, it's big, about as big as you probably think it is!"

person two:
"OK then, it's settled, we are going to vacation in Kansas as soon as possible!"

WTF?

Very few people have an interest in what Kansas offers as a toursim destination, they drive through it or visit relatives, so this is a waste of money anyway (tourism marketing). But if you are going to try to market the state as a tourism destination, at least come up with something that makes an ounce of sense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
You bored this morning or something?

You sure do put a lot of effort and energy into your constant negativity. I guess everyone needs a hobby.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 AM

We had some people over watching the royals get swept by Atlanta and a commercial came on or about Kansas and somebody asked what it meant and I was like I have no idea. Then this morning, I went to read the KC Star online and I saw it on there someplace which reminded me of yesterday.

So you don't know either I take it?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
We had some people over watching the royals get swept by Atlanta and a commercial came on or about Kansas and somebody asked what it meant and I was like I have no idea. Then this morning, I went to read the KC Star online and I saw it on there someplace which reminded me of yesterday.

So you don't know either I take it?
Yeah, I'm sure the bolded part was exactly what you said.

Here's a quick list of state tourism slogans. List of U.S. state slogans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Some of them make more sense than others.

It seems then that your real question is how anyone in Kansas could possibly think that anyone else might be able to find something worth doing here? So much so that they decided to have a slogan!

"Very few people have an interest in what Kansas offers as a tourism destination" Again, crap like this just makes you look like a jackass. KS will never be a top tourist destination. This is not news to anyone. But there are people who enjoy spending time here. Why does this bother you so?

You don't live here, you don't visit here. Do you go to the Nebraska or Iowa forums and post this kind of garbage too?

Your obsession is really getting out of hand. You should see someone.

Meanwhile, thanks for reminding me that I forgot to post the travel link in the other thread:

Kansas Travel and Tourism Division, Kansas Department of Commerce

Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Do you go to the Nebraska or Iowa forums and post this kind of garbage too?
No, Omaha is a pretty cool city, we would road trip up there once in a while. Des Moines is ok too.

The states are not near as big as I thought they were though

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM

396 posts, read 998,972 times
I could see it having to do with the idea of Kansas being what you make it. If you go into something with a closed mind you're experience will match that (that goes for anywhere) like wise if you have an open mind to something you'll be suprised what you learned. There are lots of interesting things in Kansas but they might be less obvious than the billboard filled highways of missouri. Also, Kansas is known as open territory. So Seeing the flint hills, big sky, awesome sunsets etc. is a big part of the Kansas experience. So I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe a vacation in Kansas isn't about riding roller coasters and stuff, but experiecing something new in the way you think about things. Plus big sky country was already taken by Montana.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
If there ever was a trolling thread, this is it. Between that and the (abbreviated) language, it doesn't belong here.

It may not quite rise to the level of reporting it, but I hope GS sees it and deletes it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:21 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,048 times
Does Missouri's "Close to home. Far from ordinary." make a lot more sense?

They're all absurd if you ask me.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 AM

62 posts, read 121,340 times
i believe the KS slogan was meant more for economic development. even at that tho', it's still a bit vague. i think pioneer88 had the right angle on it... wide open opportunity. dream big, think big... that kind of thing. at least they didn't try to hang their hat on something about the Wizard of Oz.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
The more people scratch their head and try to figure that slogan out ,the more I think the ad firm probably achieved what they were aiming for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas