Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,019 times

Advertisements

My husband has a nice job opportunity to move to Topeka. He is originally from Missouri with his parents and many siblings in the area.
I welcome the chance for my girls, ages 4 and 7 to have aunts, uncles, cousins in their lives. We have one relative on each side in Florida but they are five hours away from us. That, long with a lower cost of living, is the driving factor for us to move.
I have done lots of research in looking for a place to live.
I am finding houses then checking schools on great schools.org.
I am seeking help on areas to reside.
I saw older threads on here that recommended Tecumseh, Shawnee Heights, Wanamaker, Silver Lake, etc. But it was a while ago and neighborhoods fluctuate.
So please help me narrow my search.
Also, are there family-friendly places to visit?
I don't mind driving to nearby areas.
Thanks so much for your responses.

Last edited by Writegurl; 04-09-2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
I can't help with neighborhoods. Have you ever been in KS? It is nothing like FL or any other state I have ever lived in. As far as Topeka, I know that crime has grown there over the years and I am guessing unemployment has grown by the amount of foreclosed homes I am seeing listed there. There are some very nice areas there and if you are looking at the higher end homes, I would think the neighborhoods would be decent. The downtown area has always looked rough to me. My older son lived there for a couple years in the early 2000's. Kansas is cutting a lot of services and the education budget has been hit a couple of times already. What are you looking for when it comes to "family-friendly"? Topeka has a nice history museum, zoo and an air museum. If you drive to Kansas City, there is Worlds of Fun and a water park which I think is part of it - it isn't Disney World! Do you like to hunt, fish or camp? Lots of nice camping areas here.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,378 times
I live in Seaman school district, which is north of Topeka. It is a great public school district mostly outside of the city limits and is mostly semi-rural to rural. I love it here. I'd also recommend living in the Auburn-Wasburn School District which is mostly southwest of Topeka, but some of it is within the city limits, or Shawnee Heights School District, which is mostly southeast of Topeka. Both are great public school districts with nice neighborhoods.

I don't care for the Topeka 501 School District, and so would not live there, which is most of the city of Topeka. However, there are some nice neighborhoods within Topeka 501 if you want to send your kids to one of the great private schools. If you are open to that I could outline where the nice neighborhoods are in Topeka 501.

As for family friendly activities, check out this old post of mine: //www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...ka-kansas.html

And welcome to Topeka!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM

145 posts, read 609,838 times
I lived my first year up there in Topeka in the Villa West apartments. Then I rented a house. Both were in good neighborhoods.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:50 PM

69 posts, read 162,558 times
I have lived in Topeka pretty much all my life (couple years in grad school away from here). I have watched the city change from a decent place to a crime ridden place. It's horrible. (Yes there might be pockets of good areas, but not really.) Grew up in Potwin area (parents still near there). It's an historic area. As far as schools, there are good ones in Topeka, and I am not sure I agree Washburn or Seaman is any better. (I have done substitute teaching in all the area districts.) My current situation is keeping me in Topeka, but that will be changing within the next year or so, and I am looking forward to leaving.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 9,656 times
Let me tells you something about Kansass, it's a state that you may want to visit once in your lifetime. That Little House on the Prairie *hit is for real! Seriously, do you have to move there???

Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody's Home View Post
Let me tells you something about Kansass, it's a state that you may want to visit once in your lifetime. That Little House on the Prairie *hit is for real! Seriously, do you have to move there???
Hey, some people would like to live on the prairie.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
That's right. I live in west Texas. Many people I know don't like having a lot of trees around where they live. They are used to flat open ground. They complain that the trees get in the way, they can't see anything. Different people like different things.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,029 times
I just moved to KS from Florida too and I have been working in Topeka for the last few weeks. When I left FL everyone had a lot of negative things to say about KS (flat,boring,tornadoes etc). Firstly, FL is flat, the Topeka area is very hilly. In fact just west of here you can go to the Flint hills which are really nice, picturesque and nicer than anything inland in FL. I have not been out and about much in Topeka but I am staying in SW Topeka and compared with Tampa and other metro areas in FL this part of town is pretty nice. There seem to be a lot of nice, well kept neighborhoods. I haven't seen a lot of foreclosure signs around here. They have all the usual big box stores that you get on the outskirts of any FL town e.g. Walmart, Target, Home Depot etc. In this part of town all the commercial stuff looks pretty new. The traffic is non existent compared with Tampa and I haven't seen any graffiti, abandoned cars, boarded up buildings etc that are no so prevalent in Orlando and other parts of FL. As of last month, FL has 9% unemployment while Kansas has 6.2%. In Topeka unemployment is at 7.1% compared with Tampa's 8.9%. All stats provided by BLS.gov. So while people here talk of recession and school cuts it is nothing compared with the problems in FL.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 AM

18 posts, read 39,063 times
Topeka is quite a stomping ground for crime, however, have you found a states capital city that isn't? I've found through my travels that the capital cities are usually the worst, I have no idea why, it just seems so. You couldn't pay me to live in Topeka though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas