Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area of the country do you identify KS as
Midwest 17 70.83%
Rocky Mtn. West 0 0%
Your own region "The Plaines" 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:30 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,164 times

Advertisements

I would never consider Kansas or any part of it to be "southern".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
I would never consider Kansas or any part of it to be "southern".
Southeast Kansas is upland southern in culture as well as Ozarkian. It is not really the Midwest at all.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I've always heard Kansas/Missouri referred to as the midwest. But once when talking to a timeshare salesman he informed me that Kansas is considered mid south. I have never heard anyone who lives here call it mid south, though.
Only the northern part of Missouri and the northeastern part of Kansas are solidly in the Midwest core. The rest of Missouri and much of Kansas are in the periphery of the region at best.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Granite, you're missing the point of the OP. It's about identity, not solidly-defined geography.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
Granite, you're missing the point of the OP. It's about identity, not solidly-defined geography.
Well, my relatives who ranch in NW Kansas identify the region they live in as the West. There is nothing Midwest about that area at all. This includes identity and solidly-defined geography. Others opinions might differ.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, my relatives who ranch in NW Kansas identify the region they live in as the West. There is nothing Midwest about that area at all. This includes identity and solidly-defined geography. Others opinions might differ.
I will give you the NW of Kansas, but I know many people from southeast Kansas, and none of them identify with the South. They would identify themselves as being Midwestern.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 PM

396 posts, read 998,752 times
I would be one of those from SEK who identifies with the Midwest. We are on the edge kind of like oklahoma but with more teeth, better education and of course better looks...

Old 10-24-2010, 04:35 PM

398 posts, read 993,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Southeast Kansas is upland southern in culture as well as Ozarkian. It is not really the Midwest at all.
Ha Ha Ha. This type of uninformed comment by "our dear moderator" is why I started posting on City-Data again. To correct this nonsense. Considering how southeast Kansas is not part of the American South at all, it therefore follows that it cannot be part of the Upland South either.

The people who live in southeast Kansas whose ancestors fought the "Missouri bushwhackers" in the Civil War would strongly object to your uninformed opinion that they are part of the upland south. So would the Italian-Americans in Frontenac and Pittsburg and all the other eastern and southern Europeans who settled in the mining communities in Cherokee and Crawford counties, all of whom have nothing at all in common with the culture of the American South.

You do realize that most of southeast Kansas was settled in the territorial period (1854-1861) by anti-slavery activists and in the decades right after the Civil War by European immigrants and Americans from other Midwestern states like Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Iowa. No, of course you don't realize that, what am I saying. If you knew that, you would not make such asinine comments like southeast Kansas being "upland southern in culture".

Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 PM

ALl of your points are related to ancient history. Settlement patterns change quite a bit over time via in-migration and out-migration. The culture of southeast Kansas is mixed with a substantial amount of ozark influence from Missouri in my opinion, but with less in the way of woods. However, southeast Kansas has a substantial amount of rural poverty compared to most places in the Midwest core.

"You do realize that most of southeast Kansas was settled in the territorial period (1854-1861) by anti-slavery activists and in the decades right after the Civil War by European immigrants and Americans from other Midwestern states like Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Iowa."

A large number settled in the area were from MISSOURI as well.

"If you knew that, you would not make such asinine comments like southeast Kansas being "upland southern in culture"

The upland southern cultural influence is peripheral just like Midwest cultural influence. (Go a few counties east of SEK and you are in the upland South without a doubt). The area is a cultural crossroads due to the historical mining and manufacturing activities of the ancient past. I would strongly disagree that Joplin, MO, just over the border is really Midwestern at all, but that is an entirely different argument.

Also, southeast Kansas is very far south in latitude (further south than Paducah, KY, Lexington, KY, Carbondale, IL, etc) so the area is definitely not part of the Midwest core region at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Ha Ha Ha. This type of uninformed comment by "our dear moderator" is why I started posting on City-Data again. To correct this nonsense. Considering how southeast Kansas is not part of the American South at all, it therefore follows that it cannot be part of the Upland South either.

The people who live in southeast Kansas whose ancestors fought the "Missouri bushwhackers" in the Civil War would strongly object to your uninformed opinion that they are part of the upland south. So would the Italian-Americans in Frontenac and Pittsburg and all the other eastern and southern Europeans who settled in the mining communities in Cherokee and Crawford counties, all of whom have nothing at all in common with the culture of the American South.

You do realize that most of southeast Kansas was settled in the territorial period (1854-1861) by anti-slavery activists and in the decades right after the Civil War by European immigrants and Americans from other Midwestern states like Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Iowa. No, of course you don't realize that, what am I saying. If you knew that, you would not make such asinine comments like southeast Kansas being "upland southern in culture".

Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had really never thought about this question. I consider Kansas as being in the center of the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geograp..._United_States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas