Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:10 PM

75 posts, read 91,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
A blizzard on the prairie could be so disorienting that people could be found dead literally foot steps from their house. One particular settler had to experience the disorienting effect of one for himself. In his autobiography he wrote that he tied one end of a rope to his bed post and the other end to his waist and wandered out into the storm.
Nice find. May I please be told more on who, why, where and when?!

Reading the thread's title had me think of those who suggest
low population density areas in Kansas (and other states) be used to raise bison on a large scale.

I'm curious to know what people here think about it, though not enough to start a thread especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:19 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidelle View Post

low population density areas in Kansas (and other states) be used to raise bison on a large scale.

I'm curious to know what people here think about it, though not enough to start a thread especially.
There isn't anything stopping anybody who wants to do that now.

Most of Kansas is privately owned, so if someone wanted to do it on a 'big scale,' they'd have to own or rent a lot of land first.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:38 PM

34 posts, read 81,645 times
There are Bison farms around Riley Co. Some of the meat gets brought to the local farmers market. I wonder if cattle are just easier to manage. I know Ted Turner from TNT, CNN, TBS, or whatever he owns, bought a bunch of land down in Cherokee County and stocked it with Buffalo. I think it's just a novelty to him. I dont know if he fattens them up and sells the meat or not.

I do know that Bison graze alot harder than cattle do. Their temperments are very testy too. Very powerful animals.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
A blizzard on the prairie could be so disorienting that people could be found dead literally foot steps from their house. One particular settler had to experience the disorienting effect of one for himself. In his autobiography he wrote that he tied one end of a rope to his bed post and the other end to his waist and wandered out into the storm.
That wind is soooo brutal. I have surveyed out in prairie in the middle of winter. Constant north wind blowing at 30-35 mph with a windchill of -7 to -10. It's that freakin' wind man. All of a sudden it will gust to around 50 mph. INSANE. It will not let up. We would have all the lastest gadgetry on. Insulated gloves, heat packs, face guards. We could only stand about 15 minutes at a time until we got back into the heated truck to thaw out for about 20 minutes, then back out into it. My fingers were froze to the bone. My eyes were froze. My face was burning with cold. I CANNOT imagine what it must have been like for the folks back then. If you got lost in a blizzard like that, your in deep, dead trouble.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In modern times you might run into mt. lions with their expanding habitat or the odd rattlesnake but pretty much water would be the only real risk or perhaps lightning.
My Dad caught a Mt. Lion picture on a motion censor camera about a year ago. He was using the camera to track deer. It was a night time shot. Funny thing, it's tail was only about as half as long as you think it should have been. North central Kansas (Jewell County).

I saw some tracks on a dirt road in Brown County, north east Kansas, about the size of my fist, and it didnt have any claws. Feline, retractable. We measured the stride between the left and the right prints....4 FEET IN STRIDE. Thats a big Mt. Lion. I would have absolutley no idea what in the world I would do, or even supposed to do, if I happened upon that cat. I might start to cry to see if that did anything.....

I feel like I'm posting alot. I feel dirty and cheap, not really. Kansas is pretty cool.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassnsky View Post
That wind is soooo brutal. I have surveyed out in prairie in the middle of winter. Constant north wind blowing at 30-35 mph with a windchill of -7 to -10. It's that freakin' wind man. All of a sudden it will gust to around 50 mph. INSANE. It will not let up. We would have all the lastest gadgetry on. Insulated gloves, heat packs, face guards. We could only stand about 15 minutes at a time until we got back into the heated truck to thaw out for about 20 minutes, then back out into it. My fingers were froze to the bone. My eyes were froze. My face was burning with cold. I CANNOT imagine what it must have been like for the folks back then. If you got lost in a blizzard like that, your in deep, dead trouble.
It's even worse further north, in places like Minnesota and the Dakotas. I live in the forested region of Minnesota (but only 2 miles from the prairie/Great Plains zone) and winds here can easily top 50 miles per hour. Out on the prairies of western and southern Minnesota, windchills can drop to -70 degrees (not a typo).

Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
I remember wandering in a blizzard when I was a kid (in sparse, northern Nebraska).
We were walking the three miles from the road to the house and the wind came up when we were half way.
My parents, myself at 11 and my brother at 8.

I vividly remember arguing with my parents over a landmark. In the sea of white, all we could see was the shadow of a cottonwood in the distance.
They thought it was the big tree down by our stock dam, south of the house. My brother and I (who made a habit of hiking in better weather) were convinced it was the cottonwood clear up north of the house.

We convinced them to veer south, instead of north and we found the yard. A total white-out and we probably wouldn't have been able to orient by that lone tree...

Quote:

Being one of those people who lives in a low population density area of Kansas, I have to say most people aren't particularly keen on the idea.
The land is already in use!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Indeed it is used, plus one downside of the buffalo industry is the lack of connection to other industries.
Feeds, machineries, biochemicals, construction; less is needed = job loss and that cannot be allowed in rural areas.

I wasn't aware of the Ted Turner bison venture as mentioned by Grassnsky and I found that yes, he uses
his herds to supply his Montana Grills restaurants.

He owns 50 000 of them, twenty times the total amount contained in my province.

Quote:
There are Bison farms around Riley Co. Some of the meat gets brought to the local farmers market. I wonder if cattle are just easier to manage. I know Ted Turner from TNT, CNN, TBS, or whatever he owns, bought a bunch of land down in Cherokee County and stocked it with Buffalo. I think it's just a novelty to him. I dont know if he fattens them up and sells the meat or not.

Quote:
I do know that Bison graze alot harder than cattle do. Their temperments are very testy too. Very powerful animals.
And they take 7 years to mature, making bison meat expensive on top of it all.
But it's definitely healthier than beef, and delicious.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidelle View Post

I believe this incidence was attributed to George Washington Carver, He homesteaded in Kansas in Ness County 1886

Old 11-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks, Thriftylefty. I was able to find a recount of the story in Janet and Geoff Benge's Carver biography.

Now for this page ending I chose a spectacular depiction of Man vs. The Prairie

Black Sunday

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas