Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I was looking up "Gateways to Hell in KS" because I was just curious about another town when I came across Stull, KS located near Lawrence. I found several interesting articles based on legends. This was the best one: Hauntings: The Gateway to Hell and I was wondering what some locals might have to say about it. I was surprised that we hadn't heard of it before especially since my husband and his family are from KS. It is supposed to be one of the 7 gateways but I was unable to locate the other 6. They are trying to get the legend to disappear but there were pages and pages of links and anyone searching for "Gateway to Hell" could not avoid coming across it. Gosh, I think the town I am in would run with it and we would all be wearing the t-shirt here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
Default "Bury Me in Stull"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I was looking up "Gateways to Hell in KS" because I was just curious about another town when I came across Stull, KS located near Lawrence. I found several interesting articles based on legends. This was the best one: Hauntings: The Gateway to Hell and I was wondering what some locals might have to say about it. I was surprised that we hadn't heard of it before especially since my husband and his family are from KS. It is supposed to be one of the 7 gateways but I was unable to locate the other 6. They are trying to get the legend to disappear but there were pages and pages of links and anyone searching for "Gateway to Hell" could not avoid coming across it. Gosh, I think the town I am in would run with it and we would all be wearing the t-shirt here!
I heard about this town years ago when Chicago band Urge Overkill put out an EP in '92 called "Stull" with the title track being an eerie song with a late 60's psychedelic vibe about some friends getting together to visit Stull and experience the Satanic aura......creepy song worth checking out. Cover photo is of the now leveled remnant of a very old church that stood in the town. This EP also has their famous remake of Neil Diamonds' "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon".
Great band

Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Oh yeah, I grew up pretty close to Stull. All the kids like to go out there to get drunk and scare themselves. It always just seemed like nonsense to me.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:24 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
haha. When I went to KU 30 years ago we used to talked about going out to the Stull cemetery for Halloween parties. Stull's evil reputation has been around for a long time.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 AM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
I've been there several times. The only word to describe it? Lame.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Maybe the ghost hunter crew from TV can go out there, stumble around with night vision on and jump like little girls every time they a racoon farts or they walk into some spiderweb. (Of course stating as they do so that they just experience paranormal activity.) Lamest. Show. Ever.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Maybe the ghost hunter crew from TV can go out there, stumble around with night vision on and jump like little girls every time they a racoon farts or they walk into some spiderweb. (Of course stating as they do so that they just experience paranormal activity.) Lamest. Show. Ever.
I actually think it would be pretty cool if they went up to Atchison and gave the town some national exposure.

I love that town.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:07 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
Growing up in Lawrence, I heard about Stull every year. Eventually the sheriff's department had to close the road to the cemetery each Halloween because of the damage drunken students would cause to the property.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 PM

274 posts, read 518,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

LOL!!! That's SO true!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:07 PM

145 posts, read 609,805 times
I read somewhere that it started out as 2 guys telling their girlfriends the story of the "Gateway to Hell" it was just a prank that grew into people believing the hoax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: