Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,344 times

Advertisements

Driving through and reasearching the town of McPerson makes me believe that it would be a great place to live. It's about an hour away from Wichita, but it's still in it's own area. It seems like it would be a great place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:29 AM

210 posts, read 427,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Driving through and reasearching the town of McPerson makes me believe that it would be a great place to live. It's about an hour away from Wichita, but it's still in it's own area. It seems like it would be a great place to raise a family.

Went to JR High and High School in Mcpherson. Its a nice town. Pop. about 15,000 and its just close enough to wichita and salina if you need something. The town has good schools and doesn't have a bad side of town anywhere.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Yes, McPherson is a nice town. It reminds me more of a propserous town in Iowa than Kansas. Kansas sure needs a lot more smaller towns that are similar to McPherson.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
I've always been fond of Independence, KS. Also always thought most of southeast Kansas' towns are nice. To help me gain some perspective, what is it that makes McPherson particularly nice besides proximity to Wichita? Never been to McPherson....

Old 08-28-2011, 09:27 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I've always been fond of Independence, KS. Also always thought most of southeast Kansas' towns are nice. To help me gain some perspective, what is it that makes McPherson particularly nice besides proximity to Wichita? Never been to McPherson....
McPherson is well run, clean, has a decent economy, and better income than average (for a micropolitan city. Southeast KS? Most of that region has a lot of issues, mainly unbelievably low wages.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,344 times
The cleanliness of Mcpherson is what made me believe it was a nice town to live in. And I also talk to someone who has lived there all through high school, and they said it's a real nice town to grow up in and doesn't really have a part of town that you want to avoid. I drove to the downtown part once and it seems very well taken care of.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Interesting. Growing up in Kansas City I have a hard time conceiving of small eastern Kansas towns having places to avoid. I lived in Independence, KS during high school and there were no neighborhoods to avoid and the original part of town was still intact and actually serving as the center. Although, Indy does have a relatively sizeable upper-middle class or "country club set", the town is not overly suburbanized. Sure, there were poorer folks on the edges of town in particularly humble houses, but I tend to find that part of the charm of a small town, just as I did some of the schools, office buildings and stores being in their original state, although well kept. I think the disdain and lack of respect for historic neighborhoods and architecture and pursuit of a frothy prestige of newer construction and areas in towns with great but underutilized bones contributes to the woes that plague small towns.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 AM

396 posts, read 998,972 times
McPherson is an oil town, center for farming and located near a large city. These are the basis for a solid economy that has continued to growth. I agree that there is really not a bad part of town. One of the biggest differences between McPherson and SEK towns is that McPherson is by far the biggest it has ever been, while cities in SEK have their peak in the past. In SEK you have towns with 12,000 that used to have 16 or 17,000. That leaves a lot more opportunity for wear and tear, which contributes to a less clean look. Both have their positives, and really a lot of similarities. One thing McPherson lacks is great historic neighborhoods. They have some, and they're in good condtion, but McPherson is a suburban town to me, but it does have a really nice downtown that managed to dodge urban renewal. So that is a huge plus. I love McPherson, my grandparents live there.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,692 times
I was born and raised in Kansas, but haven't lived in the state since I graduated from college in the 90's. Once a year I visit, to see family. If I were to move back to Kansas, I would choose the Kansas City metro or Lawrence. Both locations have a variety of careers, industry, culture, arts, entertainment, food & dining options. Quality universities can be found in both locations. And, very important, both cities embrace diversity. Once you have lived in a large city, it's hard to go back to a small town.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,411 times
I live in a small town in Kansas called Erie. It is right in between Parsons and Chanute. All the people are nice and its a good town for children to grow up in. The town has a new high school. Erie High Charter School is the first all around green school in the state. I have lived here my entire life and there has never been any big crimes committed, no shootings or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas