Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 13,878 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Garden City, Kansas as soon as I finalize my teaching job contract there. The relocation process from California would be easier if I know more about rentals, which part of the city would be best to look for a place to rent, what it is like.

Any other information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
I wouldn't move there, my opinion of course. I lived in Dodge City(moved out finally and will never return) which is about 50 miles from Garden, but been there so many times - there's not much to offer. It has stores, like Target, Sears, Walmart, some eateries, etc, etc.... Lots of illegals and a nasty smelling meat packing plant, there use to be 2. There's a small airport - My hubby lived there for years and was so thankful when he moved out of there. Crime, but there's crime everywhere....

Housing can be fairly cheap. It depends on what you're looking to rent/buy. They have alot of mobile homes in that area...I'm sure coming from California will be a drastic change in housing and everything else. But remember, in a way it'll balance out - There's not much work, unless you work for the meat plants or in one of the stores there, but being a teacher I'm sure you'd have no problem with that. Salaries tend to be low and I can say this, being from NY and living in KS for many years, but again, housing is cheaper - You get what you pay for is what I say. There's some nice area(s) and of course you'd pay more for housing..

It gets very hot and dry - there could be some nasty storms that roll through. There's a zoo tho, you can drive or walk through it. For the most part people are very nice and it's purdy laid back considering......

Good Luck -
Here's a link to Gardens' newspaper...
Not sure what all is on the site..

Garden City Telegram Online

Old 11-20-2009, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 26,767 times
the person right there is stupid garden city is beautiful yeah its small and dodge city n garden city are huge rivals on any sport so thats why he or she will say that ill say if u looking up on a nice rental place theirs this apartments by CAMPUS drive really nice apartments but u looking at somthing high class there is southwind and garden valley very nice houses and apartments southwind is out in the country so its beautiful their is a lot of foregein restraunts Italian,Mexican,asian,chinese,korean by fulton soon we will have philipeans, their is the strip mall, sears,rue21,old navy coming soon, jc penyys, buckle and otha places n stores their is dillions its like safeway w/e is at cali.....target, sams club, wal mart,

Old 11-20-2009, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 26,767 times
but their right about very nice town, and some good storms roll by its tornado valley come on of course will havem but it is not that hot compare to mexcio,arizona,cali,nevada all does places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: