Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,349 times

Advertisements

We have a 40,000 gal. pool. Putting way to much $$$$ in it for chemicals. Fought algae all of July and August last year. My water was in perfect balance, but no matter how much algacide I put in there was always algae on the bottom. Seriously considering switching to salt this year. Have been told that you have to add little to no chemicals thoughout the summer (other than additional salt). No algae problem at all. Just need to check your chemical balance once a week. Is this true? Any experience/comments would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,614,248 times
We had this type of system in our pool at our last home in North Carolina. It was our first pool, so I can't compare it to a traditional system. But we never had an issue with algae - well, except for the time the system went out and wasn't producing chlorine.

We did just check the chemicals about once per week, as the pH ran high; I've heard this is fairly common with the salt chlorine generators. So most weeks, we just had to reduce the pH.

Is this an inground pool? Do people actually have those in Kansas? We're looking at moving to Kansas for a new job, and would love to have a pool, but I don't think I can justify it due to the short season.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM

321 posts, read 1,209,067 times
Yes, people have inground pools in Kansas. The season isn't all that short, either... 4 months or so of swimming weather. Longer if it's heated.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,227,247 times
3-4 months of swimming....and the other 8-9 months you get to look at the expensive hole in the ground.

I'm happy to just use the HOA pool in the summer.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,614,248 times
I did LOVE having my own pool, but again it was North Carolina, and we had 5-6 months to use it, without a heater. It was hard to justify then, but would be even harder in Kansas.

But if you have one, I would certainly go with the salt system. In addition to mine, a coworker converted hers to salt and wished she had done so sooner.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:36 PM

16 posts, read 43,299 times
We live in Canada and have an above ground pool...there are loads of inground pools & the season is June -Sept with a heater, June - aug without!! But still we folks up here love our pools. My kids (& dog) swim every day.

Did you get the water tested for phosphates last year? We had a terrible yr with our pool, the worst since we had in installed 7 yrs ago. Finally the pool store (who test the water properly for us) realised we had phosphates. The right chemical cleared it up.

We also learnt that DH should have tested the water before putting in the 'opening' chemicals. He never has before, usually just throws it all in & the water clears.

We are movong to Wichita this summer (fingers crossed on visas!) and DH wants a pool but I don't...I want to live somewhere with a HOA pool that i don't have to look after!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:42 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,227,247 times
^Exactly

Everyone I know personally who has/had their own pools talks about how they hardly ever used it except for when they had company over and how much of a total PITA they are to keep up with.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM

9,296 posts, read 16,582,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
3-4 months of swimming....and the other 8-9 months you get to look at the expensive hole in the ground.

I'm happy to just use the HOA pool in the summer.
I'd rather have an expensive hole in the ground than to live where I am governed by an HOA and pay their dues. NEVER, EVER again! We felt like we were living in a police state! We use our pool everyday in season to exercise, relax and have dinner poolside.

We also have a salt generated chlorine pool and it is a lot less expensive along with the added benefit that you don't have that chalky feeling on your skin, rather feels like you just applied lotion.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
Who in Wichita ks is good to have change the system over to salt water, reliable and knowledgable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas