Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:10 PM

61 posts, read 88,412 times

Advertisements

Im a 28 year old male who just has an Associate of Art's degree. I have spent my whole twenties just working regular jobs that didn't pay a whole lot. My true passion is music and I have never worked a job that is even closely related to that. I have though, been in a band that has experienced some success on a local level.

lately I am at a crossroads. I recently lost my job (a temp one that was suppose to go permanent). I filed for unemployment and was accepted just like last time but I just now took on another temp to hire job working as a CSR processing Loans. I hate it.

Ive been thinking about what to do as a career if my true passion is music. Do I find a way to go back to school for that? I know UMKC and KCKCC both offer music programs (KCKCC obviously being much cheaper) or do I do something more practical that will land me a job I can take anywhere such as radiology technician (over at JCCC).

As much as I love my passion for music, I just can't stand floating around from job to job and hating every single one. To be honest they suck the creativity right out of me and I can't even focus on my music.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 AM

268 posts, read 1,614,264 times
Hmm. Tough. Well, what can you do to fill a niche in your scene? Run sound at venues? Doorman at venues? Music store? (Instruments or records, both of which are on the decline) Do you have the patience to do lessons? Printing press that specializes in buttons, fliers, and other merch for bands?

If you have some capital and some partners with a bit of money, start a local indie label, but I doubt that would pay the bills unless you want to live on dumpstered food.

All of these music-related jobs are pretty much friends-helping-friends and connections. Going to school might be your best bet.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM

21 posts, read 54,323 times
Radiology technician or musician. You'll probably earn more as a Radiology technician, but it sounds like working with music would make you happier.

But you don't seem to have a goal with your music. There are so many directions you could go, from street busker, to music teacher, to giving lessons in your preferred instrument, or being in a band, working in a music store, writing a music column.

I think you need to ask yourself some more questions.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Almost any career in the health care field would be a good thing to consider. The aging of baby boomers has created the need for those jobs.

You could also work part time in jobs similar to what others here have mentioned. In doing that you could keep your hand in music and make a good living in health care.

So, yes, go get some specialized education classes and get your certificate.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:03 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Well you are 28 and haven't yet worked a music related job other than being in a local band.

Frankly, it's probably time to start an actual career while still meeting your musical needs by continuing to play in bands and so forth in your free time. Basically, what you've already been doing but having a good job instead of doing sucky temp crap.

I know at least 2 guys working highly successful jobs that either play in bands or are heavy into the local music scene in their free time.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
No reason in the world not to be able to pursue paying jobs, get a degree in a paying field that you like, and continue to develop your music skills through practice, bands, and/or classes.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,547 times
Personally, I think unless a person wants to do some form of physical labor, some kind of skill is neccessary to survive. Physical labor isn't bad, and honestly I think it's more satisfying. But your body can't handle it your whole life. I would pursue a field that doens't leave you with lots of student loans. Going to school at your age and finishing with a lot of debt isn't a lot of fun. I'd look for trades/degrees that offer flexability in your schedule to pursue music. If I had it to do over again, I'd be PT assitstant, dental hygenist or RN.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM

61 posts, read 88,412 times
Yeah I don't know what I'm gonna do. I guess I'm kind of screwed. I know there are a lot of people out there though that have really good paying jobs and do not even have a 4 year degree.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Should I go to school?

Anybody can be quasi-literate and uneducated. AND.....I suspect we all know just how much value those skill sets have on the job market.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 AM

4 posts, read 2,869 times
Uplifter, i guess Getting a right degree for a right job is important. You can hooked up with your passion later (music). And don't give a crap about what others are doing ? just focus on your own.
All the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas