U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM

26 posts, read 80,005 times

Advertisements

Hi,

What is the most rural and remote small Western Kansas town that still
has a small downtown main street and a high school? What is life like
for the average teenager,and do any of them stay after high school?

Is it true that Colby is the exception? I have read on these forums that Colby is actually growing and thriving. How can that be when it appears that
the other surrounding rural towns are slowly declining?

How can these rural towns possibly survive much longer, and what will become of the land in these towns? Will they just be abandoned in the future
and becoming ghost towns?

Herndon?
Bird City?
Brewster?
McDonald?
Hoxie?
Logan?

Thanks

Last edited by noduleman; 08-15-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,007,951 times
Liberal?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM

26 posts, read 80,005 times
Default no

No, NOT liberal. The town has 20,000 people! Im talking about the smallest
towns, like 200-1200 people!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:40 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,669,041 times
Colby is a trade center on the interstate. That's why it's holding it's own.

So far as "most rural and remote," that's really hard to say. By what criteria are defining this?
Bird City (pop. 447), for example, has a high school. It's part of the Cheylin (eastern Cheyenne, western Rawlins counties) consolidated school district. It's rural and relatively remote. But is it the MOST?
Brewster, which also has a HS, is a smaller town at only 285, but they also serve a smaller area than Bird City.

And the future? I would venture to guess it's basically a continuation of current decline. School enrollments will continue to fall, districts will continue to consolidate, towns will continue to have houses/property that won't sell because there's no one who wants to buy it, and so on.
Such is life out here...

Life for the average teenager tends to be iPods and clothes and video games, just like everywhere else. And running around with friends. There is less "to do" so far as destinations, but kids tend to be fiercely proud of having grown up in tiny, rural towns. And they also tend to grow up and never come back.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM

22 posts, read 63,644 times
Stockton, plainville, Palco,Natoma, long island, grinnell, angelus, leoville, penokee and damar. Not sure if the last 3 or 4 actually have high schools, especially angelus as there are no paved roads leading into town. Yes most of western kansas towns have decreased, but i personally don't believe they will die out and become ghost towns. More and more people are moving to small towns. I grew up in one of these towns and left right after high school and headed to the west coast. Now five years later i'm back as i wanted a simply life and to actually be able to afford a house. The thing i've noticed is how many people leave after high school but then eventually come back.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
More and more people are moving to small towns. I grew up in one of these towns and left right after high school and headed to the west coast. Now five years later i'm back as i wanted a simply life and to actually be able to afford a house. The thing i've noticed is how many people leave after high school but then eventually come back.
The census disagrees with you. Most of the towns in western Kansas have had declining populations for decades.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 PM

13,724 posts, read 16,823,564 times
I don't know specifically about western Kansas, but I know in other small towns in Kansas and Missouri the kids tend to do a lot of drinking (which I guess could be said of larger cities too) and even worse, drugs, out of boredom.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM

22,271 posts, read 38,883,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.jesse View Post
Stockton, plainville, Palco,Natoma, long island, grinnell, angelus, leoville, penokee and damar. Not sure if the last 3 or 4 actually have high schools, especially angelus as there are no paved roads leading into town. Yes most of western kansas towns have decreased, but i personally don't believe they will die out and become ghost towns. More and more people are moving to small towns. I grew up in one of these towns and left right after high school and headed to the west coast. Now five years later i'm back as i wanted a simply life and to actually be able to afford a house. The thing i've noticed is how many people leave after high school but then eventually come back.
Osborne county has seen an unbelievable decline over the past several decades along with Smith county. For ever few people that return 10-20 leave. It's just way too isolated out there for most people unless one inherits the family farm or ranch. Let's just say my relatives ranch in Osborne and Russell county so I am extremely familiar with that area. I used to live in Hays so I know Rooks county pretty well also.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
It's just way too isolated out there for most people
That's not usually the problem.
It's lack of jobs, pure and simple.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,550,727 times
Ashland. We are the county seat, have a grade school and high school, a critical access hospital, a nursing home, and numerous small businesses. Jobs are not plentiful, but we do seem to be able to absorb the newcomers that want to work. Population around 900 in Adhland and about 2500 in the county that has two other towns - Minneola and Englewood. Minneola also has a high school, hospital and nursing home. It is only 20 minutes from Dodge City where there are more job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas