Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I've lived in South West Kansas for many years and it does get very, very hot and I found the winters weren't that bad.
How is Garden City or Dodge City?

Last edited by StuckPA; 09-02-2007 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 10:52 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's where I lived (Dodge City) Very hot and dry. Oh and the windiest town ever..

If you don't like tasting dust often, then It's not a place you should live. I kid you not -

Old 09-02-2007, 11:20 AM

89 posts, read 499,445 times
People are people. If Kansas ever gets as crowded as the East Coast, human nature will take over and people will behave as they do in the East.

I had a friend who fell down in NYC, NY on a busy street. People not only walked past her, but stepped over her. No one came to help her until a policeman happened by. She was a middle aged woman, nicely dressed.

I have known 5 people in Emporia who have fallen down in clear view of other people. No one came to help. I was one. I witnessed two and I was the only person who went to help. My grown son slipped on ice and fell and got a bloody face at a very busy intersection. He was stunned, no one helped him.

I do not know why people didn't help. Emporia is a town of about 26,000 people.

We live in a very small town of 850 people. My husband slipped on the ice and fell down between two cars. He didn't think anyone could possibly have seen him, but one man just got a glimpse of him falling, and he turned his car around and drove into the parking lot where he fell to ask if he was okay. I think he not only was checking on his well being, but also cared how he felt.

The more people the less compassionate reaching out, it seems to me. People seem to rely on charitable institutions to help people, and are very generous in big towns. But for helping one individual who has fallen, they seem to fail some.

So, although Kansas is a wonderful state,a nd there's elbow room here, keep in mind that people are people. If you come here and reach out to people, they'll respond. If you come here and get territorial and defensive (not saying you are like that at all) then that's the response you'll get.

I guess I'm saying that here it is give and take. There are rats, there are amazingly wonderful people, small towns, smallish towns like Emporia, bigger towns, bigger cities.

So, if you come here, seek out what interests you, reach out to people. You'll do great!

Janet

Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Well, Dodge City and Garden City are both towns that have a high immigrant population due to the meatpacking presence in the area. Hispanics make up about 50% of the population or more in both towns. Garden City does have a community college. Many young people leave those towns for bigger metro areas where their is a more diversified range of jobs. Holcomb, a town near Garden City, could be the site of a massive coal power plant. I personally would not want to live near a huge coal power plant if I had other options.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:06 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbowl View Post
So, if you come here, seek out what interests you, reach out to people. You'll do great!
Sounds good. I've tried reaching out around here in the past and was basically ignored so I stopped trying,but maybe a new area would breathe new life into things.
By the way how much ice do you get there where people are slipping all over?

Old 09-02-2007, 04:28 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Well, Dodge City and Garden City are both towns that have a high immigrant population due to the meatpacking presence in the area. Hispanics make up about 50% of the population or more in both towns. Garden City does have a community college. Many young people leave those towns for bigger metro areas where their is a more diversified range of jobs. Holcomb, a town near Garden City, could be the site of a massive coal power plant. I personally would not want to live near a huge coal power plant if I had other options.

Dodge City has a college as well. I left due to uncertainties with that town. Yes - many immigrants and actually Dodge has been taken over. There was an article not long ago in the paper about it - The crime was another reason we decided to leave - Too many gangs and gang related problems. I lived there only 7 plus years but my hubby grew up there and lived there most of his life. He knows the ins and outs of that town and alot of the surrounding area(s)

I'll tell you this - I never seen alot of hail storms til I Moved out that way. Everytime there was a storm, there was hail with it.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:12 PM

105 posts, read 438,061 times
It depends on what part of the state you live in on ice. I am in the northeast part of the state, and we can get alot of ice, as can western Kansas. We haven't up here had a real bad ice storm for about 6 years I think.

Hey, you don't have to wait to hit the lottery to come out here. Any of the smaller towns are very friendly, and they are helpful when something happens to family. We had not been here very long when my mother passed away, and people we didn't even know stopped by and brought food over. So, it is great to live in a small town. We are not that far away from the bigger towns and cities.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,546 times
moving to Kansas in Coffeyville- are there any house rentals? and what is the rent there? a ball park figure?

Old 09-03-2007, 05:29 AM

i'm a security officer by trade here is there any in Coffeyville?

Old 09-03-2007, 05:34 AM

thx's Janet, I was hoping it was a friendly town not like california where they'd rather run you over... I spent 15 yrs in a small town in MN and loved the small town friendliness..
I and my youngest is moving there sometime within the month hopefully so she doesn't miss too much school. She's not use to CA people small towns do best for her and she chose Kansas. She met a few on line 16 yr olds and feels like they're good people so we are going to wing it. wish us luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas