Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

I'm giving two thumbs up to Brownback for his stand on SNAP benefits for households with illegals. If you read the article, read far enough to see that he eliminated an ADVANTAGE for having illegals in the household.Kansas Gov. Brownback to review state's food stamp policy - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/25/3390428/kansas-gov-brownback-to-review.html - broken link) I think they also need to crack down on the legal residents as far as SNAP goes and would love to see them move to a system more like the WIC program and have seen some discussion of just that possibility - tired of them with their pale and sickly looking kids and their basket full of chips, soda and frozen pizzas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Another article on illegals in KS and how some want to hire them like they are legal for agricultural work: Fort Scott Tribune (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_IMMIGRANTS_AG_JOBS_KSOL-?SITE=KSFTS&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT - broken link) and this would only serve to keep wages down which is exactly why KS loves illegals! The only problem is that agricultural workers can be brought in on a special visa and we have more than enough able-bodied welfare recipients to fill the jobs if we make them work if they want to eat. Yesterday, 1 February, I ventured up to the local Wal-Mart which generally I avoid the big welfare shop day and there they were again, able-bodied young people with babies in tow, probably more than half are young people that are not working. Young couples, most likely children of welfare recipients. Of course, they were spending like there was no tomorrow while I carefully priced all of the items I was purchasing. More and more it seems that Kansas wants the welfare programs in order to draw funds from the federal government which embarrasses me. I think if KS gets strict with public assistance that maybe we can create legal workers to do just about any of the jobs available. I would rather see the US citizens working the jobs and getting a little assistance rather than the US citizens sitting on the sofa stuffing their faces and watching television while illegals hold jobs in a legal fashion.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
I grew up in Kansas in the 60s and 70s, left for good in the 80s, really before the big influx of illegals. I do remember in the 70s when traveling out to SW Kansas, Garden City, Ulysses and points in between, the early signs of Mexican immigration, but not anything like what you see now.I never saw illegals in SE Kansas where I grew up. I hope they are able to get a handle on the problem because I do think it helps artificially reduce wages, but also think it will have to be solved more at the national level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas