Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

kcmo...Well I'll leave you alone! Sounds like you have a grip on everything!...If I say that I grew-up in So CA it seems so vague to me because life isn't exactly the same in all parts of So CA... And the So CA of today is vastly different than the way things were "back in the old days" when I was growing-up. (That's for sure!)...So I rarely bring-up living in So CA on my own. (During normal conversations.) It usually comes out later on when I get to know someone better...Anyway enough! It sounds like you do good when it comes to explaining where you "come from!"

Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
kcmo...Well I'll leave you alone! Sounds like you have a grip on everything!...If I say that I grew-up in So CA it seems so vague to me because life isn't exactly the same in all parts of So CA... And the So CA of today is vastly different than the way things were "back in the old days" when I was growing-up. (That's for sure!)...So I rarely bring-up living in So CA on my own. (During normal conversations.) It usually comes out later on when I get to know someone better...Anyway enough! It sounds like you do good when it comes to explaining where you "come from!"
I'm take it you got tired of surfing at the beaches and shopping on Rodeo Drive!

I find it all interesting myself. (what people imagine when you tell them where you are from).

Old 03-14-2012, 06:25 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
kcmo...You're right. People do have a tendency to form conclusions about all the various cities and states. (Based on "snippets" of "hear-say" information or what they see in movies.)...When I was growing up my Dad used to say that Missouri was the "show me" state! Do people still say this today?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 AM

350 posts, read 740,633 times
So do people have positives things to say about Kansas and/or Rural Kansas? I don't want this to be come a "Worst Town in Nebraska" style thread.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM

69 posts, read 176,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
I don't want this to be come a "Worst Town in Nebraska" style thread.
Ok then let's turn it into a "Best Town in Kansas" style thread.

Here's my contribution:

- Mission Hills in Kansas is the 3rd most affluent neighborhood in America.

City in Johnson County among most affluent neighborhoods in the U.S. - NBCActionNews.com - Kansas City

- Wichita in Kansas is home to the 2nd largest private company in America and its CEO is the 4th richest man in the country.

#2 Koch Industries - Forbes.com
Charles Koch - Forbes

- Manhattan in Kansas is the best small place for business in the US.

Slide Show: The Best Small Places For Business And Careers - #1 Manhattan, KS - Forbes.com

- Belle Plaine in Kansas is the 6th best place to raise kids in the nation.

The Best Places to Raise Your Kids 2012: Best Place to Raise Kids in Kansas: Belle Plaine - BusinessWeek

- Google Inc. eschewed places like Los Angeles, Chicago and Seattle in favor of Kansas City in Kansas to build a build a super-fast Internet network.

New Lift for Kansas Town - WSJ.com

- Overland Park in Kansas is the 7th best place to live in the US.

Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: Overland Park, KS - from MONEY Magazine

- Lawrence in Kansas is one of America’s 10 best college towns.

Lawrence again named a top 10 college town - KU News

- Topeka in Kansas is one of the 10 best cities for the next decade.

10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Kiplinger

Last edited by PierreWY; 03-14-2012 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 11:31 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreWY View Post
Ok then let's turn it into a "Best Town in Kansas" style thread.

Wichita in Kansas is home to the 2nd largest private company in America and its CEO is the 4th richest man in the country.

#2 Koch Industries - Forbes.com
Charles Koch - Forbes

[.html[/url]
You cannot be serious. The Koch Brothers? They are everything that is wrong with how the big corporate giants are wielding enormous poltical influence through lobbyists. They also fund anti-science advertising and claim that humans have had zero influence on climate change. They are a black mark on the state.

Ok. The best smaller towns in the state are McPherson, Lindsborg, and Marysville.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 AM

543 posts, read 1,146,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Really? I have never been anywhere outside of Texas where people were more prone to incessant, out-of-touch-with-reality, loudmouthed, self-aggrandizement than Portland in particular and Oregon in general.
Have you ever been to Oregon or Portland?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You cannot be serious.
Let's take a look at California. No pollution? No corruption? Or... Illinois, Michigan, Florida, New York? No such things down there? You can't be serious.

Who's the current mayor of New York City?

Who's the former mayor of Detroit?

Report: California cities have worst air pollution

2 Reporters Win Pulitzer for Exposing 'Corruption on Steroids' in California

Last edited by PierreWY; 03-14-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Default Nobel Peace Prize

Quote:
They are a black mark on the state.
Nobel Peace Prize winner Barack Obama's late mother Ann Dunham and his grandparents were from Wichita.

Happy?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
You cannot be serious. The Koch Brothers? They are everything that is wrong with how the big corporate giants are wielding enormous poltical influence through lobbyists. They also fund anti-science advertising and claim that humans have had zero influence on climate change. They are a black mark on the state.

Ok. The best smaller towns in the state are McPherson, Lindsborg, and Marysville.
Articles: Scientists in Revolt against Global Warming

Quote:
Global warming became a cause to save life on earth before it had a chance to become good science. The belief that fossil fuel use is an emergency destroying our planet by CO2 emissions took over the media and political arena by storm. The issue was politicized so quickly that the normal scientific process was stunted.
I thought you took pride in being a non-conformist, GS? Independent thinkers know that this has never been science, but instead a fabricated means toward the desired political/ideological end. And that "end" puts an end to our highest standard of living in the history of man.

I'll never begin to understand why you and some others want so badly to believe in political forces out to micromanage every last detail of your lives.

Sorry, OP, don't mean to hijack the thread. But I have to say thank goodness that there are those like the Kochs willing to speak out against the oppression sought by "climate change" alarmists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas