Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 9,671 times

Advertisements

NO ONE HAS TO DO ANYTHING TO MAKE PARSONS KANSAS LOOK STUPID. ONLY the corrupt ones in Parsons Kansas are stupid enough to believe that the rest of the people do not know what is going on here and has been for the last 30 or so years. Just more and more are getting there belly's full of being lied to, controlled, threatened and so on. LOOK AT THE FACTS.
MASSIVE UNEMPLOYMENT, LOW WAGES TO SLAVE LABOR THAT THE CITY BRAGS ABOUT, BID RIGGING, CONFLICTS OF INTEREST,FARMING,REAL ESTATE DEALS, PLUMBING, CONTRACTING ISSUES, CONSTRUCTION AND AGAIN JOBS INC.????? JUST TO BARLEY SCRATCH THE SURFACE.
OH YEA WHAT ABOUT THE FACTS YOU IDIOT

42% of Parsons residents rank in the poverty level
96% of Kansas communities have a lower crime rate than Parsons
1/16
Chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime
1/127
Chance of becoming a victim of forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault
1/18
Chance of becomg a victim of burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, or arson

2010 Statistics
848 crime offenses
137 violent crime offenses
1 murder
6 rapes
18 robberies
112 aggr. assault/batteries
711 property crime offenses
222 burglaries
471 thefts
18 motor vehicle thefts
4 arsons
Information obtained from KBI, Neighborhood Scout, and City Data

FIRE FRED GRESS
RECALL GREGG YORK, CRUISE, HOGLAN

Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsons crap View Post
NO ONE HAS TO DO ANYTHING TO MAKE PARSONS KANSAS LOOK STUPID.
But that apparently won't stop you from doing your level best.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:49 PM

396 posts, read 998,512 times
Why do you want to get rid of them? What do you suggest be done differently? I no longer live there but have family that does.
I never felt unsafe in Parsons. Poverty is definitely part of the equation but the way you talk about the place is as if it's the inner city. Definitely not the case.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
It isn't just Parsons, it's SE KS. Check the stats that have been referred to and you will find the reality. Everyone should always check the crime stats before relocating as it gives you some pretty good insight to how things operate.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM

396 posts, read 998,512 times
As someone who has spent significant time in Parsons, this info makes it seem like Parsons is extremely violent and crime ridden when that is not the case. As I've said before, poverty is there but... I would have no problem feeling safe walking in any part of town.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
Maybe part of the crime problem has to do with the meth problems in SE Kansas. Here's an article on it. It does seem like they are trying, but not winning the war.

Losing the meth war / LJWorld.com

Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
Why do you want to get rid of them? What do you suggest be done differently? I no longer live there but have family that does.
I never felt unsafe in Parsons. Poverty is definitely part of the equation but the way you talk about the place is as if it's the inner city. Definitely not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
As someone who has spent significant time in Parsons, this info makes it seem like Parsons is extremely violent and crime ridden when that is not the case. As I've said before, poverty is there but... I would have no problem feeling safe walking in any part of town.
Having lived in Independence, KS, and being familiar with Parsons and other SEK towns, which all basically have the same composition, I absolutely agree with you. I've NEVER felt unsafe there, and we typically left our front door unlocked. However, that was MY real world experience. I must have been missing what's creating these statistics. And I lived in the center of town. I do know there was a lot of "poor" people and some of the youth were a bit rough around the edges, but it never really seemed all that bad. And the poor people didn't have it that bad. They don't have to live in or face the inner city, for example, most can afford to own a house and car(s), and can afford to shop at Walmart and spend money at bars. I'm surprised by the statistics, but then I remember these were once prosperous towns and drew a lot of folks throughout history from different areas. They're fairly diverse towns. So it isn't surprising that like bigger cities they're not perfect. All that said, I graduated Independence High School in 2004 and my class was overwhelmingly upper-middle class for such a small town. I always thought it was neat all the kids were socially mixed into one high school unlike KC where things are much more segregated by class.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 AM

It isn't just meth. It is crack, pot and alcohol too. A generous portion of the population are below the poverty line and when the checks run out, they shop the neighborhood yards/houses for items for extra cash with metal items being red hot! Also, those welfare checks aren't going as far as they used to and those that work and abuse drugs don't stay on the job very long anymore. I think most of the murders are probably drug-related. Until they get serious about drug enforcement, the crime will continue to grow. I don't know if the rest of the Wal-Marts are doing it but they have just removed the greeters from the entrance area and people that pass through and have packages sounding off the alarm just can keep walking - making it easy to steal from them might cut the crime in the neighborhoods. Expect to pay higher prices yet at Wal-Mart though.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
For a town with 10k residents, and I don't know if the crime numbers above encompass rural areas too....

It's really not that bad for a somewhat impoverished area.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM

If you check the main page for City-data, keeping in mind that this is adjusted for differences in population: US average: 319.1, Parsons: 621.4, Topeka: 469.9 (and in the bigger cities, you can somewhat avoid the less savory areas but not so in the smaller town), Atchison: 215.0, Abilene: 256.4, Ottawa: 236.5 and the list goes on. I did see that while many of the cities I looked at were decreasing in crime, Parsons was moving up and I think 2009 was 400 and something. I don't think you can always assume that poverty is the cause of crime but the reasons that many live in poverty: drugs, alcohol, etc. Being poor won't turn you into a criminal. The working poor are probably too exhausted to commit crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas