Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 9,691 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are relocating for work from San Diego to Manhattan in 3 weeks. We are both originally from the Midwest (Ohio) so I think we will adapt pretty well with the lifestyle even though we've been spoiled for the past 4 years.

Housing - What are the good areas to live in for our age? We are social and like to meet new people but I also don't want to be kept up until 3AM listening to partying during the week. Weekends I don't care.

My fiance is a teacher at a Catholic school in San Diego and was wondering if anyone knew the current status of getting a teaching job in Manhattan (She teaches Math and Science to 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders). Or other options like TA's at KSU?

Lastly, I love sports so a college town is going to be great (O-H.... I-O! ) but does anyone have suggestions on where I can join a league or play open gym basketball?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
I just moved here a month ago, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be terribly helpful about the job situation. From what I understand, it might be difficult for your wife to find work. (There is a Catholic school in town though.) The good news is that this is a great town. I absolutely love this place. I'm originally from southern California (my mom grew up in San Diego), and I have lived in many places around the country. This town doesn't have quantity, but it does have quality. It's pretty small, but it's big enough to feel like a really great urban neighborhood. I wasn't expecting much before I came here, but again, I love it. I can't quite put my finger on why this town is so appealing, but it is.

Personally, I would live in the city center area. This neighborhood has a lot of college kids, but it has a lot of families too. I like to walk to places. You can find a nice house to rent in this area, in which you can walk to the mall, the library, the nice central park and Aggieville (the bar/shopping/entertainment district).

If you're looking for something with newer homes and a more suburban feel though, check out the houses around the Susan B. Anthony school.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,691 times
Thank you for giving me some insight. I am excited to see the city.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM

10 posts, read 69,667 times
It's a nice town. I'd suggest just renting at first and feel out the town to get an idea of where (if) you'd like to buy. The town is growing alot right now. Just to give you 1 place to look for newer simple clean houses, look in the Brookmont area. Aggieville is a cool place to go, it's on Moro St.

Take a look here
http://www.tryufm.org/

Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM

71 posts, read 242,388 times
For jobs: Manhattan, Kansas Jobsearch - presented by NationJob.com Careers, Work & Employment opportunities.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 AM

164 posts, read 601,584 times
To stay away from the student "ghettoes" associated with K-State I would look for a place that is west of the university. Probably west of College Avenue is where you will have to be to get away from most of the college kids. The Candlewood neighborhood is a family friendly place if that is something you are interested in. Housing prices in Manhattan are relatively high for Kansas, but nothing like you would have seen in California. For sports, you are limited in finding places to play indoor basketball since there isn't a YMCA or any kind of facility like that. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 AM

19 posts, read 57,160 times
I spent some time in both Junction City and Manhattan and both were extremely safe. A lot of people call these places trashy or junky but I was impressed. There are loads of nice and newer remodeled homes in both Junction City & Manhattan but they're not so cheap. Good luck, its safe and beautiful. If you want to drive an extra 15 minutes, check out Junction City. There are several Catholic churches, its very diverse. Its a military town, I met a lot of German, Greek, Korean, Yugoslavian, Russian and Spanish people in such a small town. Mostly women though, brought by their military husbands. Good luck, I loved Kansas.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM

85 posts, read 217,990 times
get use to purple. there are many smaller towns in the area that are nice. and then you have a nice size lake to the west of junction city, and then tuttle creek area which hosts the country stampede every year. you will be about half way between the capital (topeka, which has a zoo, forbes field air museum, and a good museum by the governors mansion.) and Salina which pretty much divides the state in half. about an hour and half south of salina is Wichita. You also have the Eisenhower presidential library and museum that is fun to see the traveling smithsonian exhibits.

other then that I don't know anything because i life about 2 hrs or so west of there

Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM

51 posts, read 106,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
To stay away from the student "ghettoes" associated with K-State I would look for a place that is west of the university. Probably west of College Avenue is where you will have to be to get away from most of the college kids. The Candlewood neighborhood is a family friendly place if that is something you are interested in. Housing prices in Manhattan are relatively high for Kansas, but nothing like you would have seen in California. For sports, you are limited in finding places to play indoor basketball since there isn't a YMCA or any kind of facility like that. Good luck.
Completely Agree! West of College Avenue is the family oriented (non-student) part of town and generally has the nicer housing developments.

The City does have adult leagues for various sports, however each team only plays 1-2 games/week so that doesn't give you much playing time. The only real place to play indoor basketball is on the KSU campus at the student rec center or Ahern Fieldhouse. The rec center requires an affiliation with KSU (student, employee or alumni) but I belive the LIFE program at Ahern is open to anybody (see L.I.F.E. Fitness Program - *Kansas State University Department of Kinesiology (http://kinesiologyksu.weebly.com/life-fitness-program.html - broken link)). We really need a YMCA but the market is not that great as so much of the town is affiliated with KSU and their rec center is HUGE!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM

51 posts, read 106,330 times
I don't think your wife will have too much trouble finding a job My wife is a part time Special Needs Para and has turned down probably 10 offers for a full time job this past year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas