Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 AM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Is there a Walmart or a Target in Hutch?
Both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:07 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Does anyone remember Welles' Department Store in Hutch? I seem to remember it being out east of town, across Lorraine St, which was the Rubicon for 7-year-old me on my bicycle. Is the building even still there?

I remember shopping with my mom at a store called Gibson's, too. And a street in South Hutch called the Woody Seat Freeway. I never found out who Woody was, or why they considered it a freeway, or what was so special about his seat.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:17 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Yes, Hutch has Walmart and Target. Not a Best Buy though. You need to go to Wichita 45 minutes up the highway.

Hutch has higher taxes than Wichita and higher priced homes. My hubby worked there 4 years. After 2 years we decided to move there so he wouldn't have to commute. We had sticker shock on the houses. I guess the ones in our price range was shocking. We thought our home in Wichita was so much bigger and better with the lower price but we bit the bullet and bought a house. We moved back to Wichita 2 years later and made no money on the house.

Not really much to do there so you need to go to Wichita. My hubby worked for some docs and they had a hard time getting any new docs to move there since their wives didn't like the small town, nothing to do atmosphere. If you were born there, then you are use to it.

I am wondering if the person ever moved to Hutch.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:40 PM

30 posts, read 143,351 times
I posted a new thread but in case someone reads here, we are moving back to hutch from Tx and need to find a 3bedroom for rent. Any advice or do you know someone to contact? It can be apartment, house or duplex. Any help please??

Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,310 times
If someone could please tell me where I can go to find rented homes in Hutchinson, KS. My family and I are moving there soon for the military and I have had no luck. The most we can pay a month is 1100??

Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,310 times
How far is Wichita from Hutchinson?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:10 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollew View Post
How far is Wichita from Hutchinson?
40-50 miles depending on which way you take. Should be there in less than an hour, unless you take a back road and get stuck behind an Old Order Amish buggy.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 PM

17 posts, read 45,829 times
Hutchinson has pros and cons to it.. I spent a lot of years, there.

First and foremost - DO NOT - relocate to Hutchinson - UNLESS - you have either plenty of money OR a job in place waiting for you. It is NOT a place to go if you're looking for work.

Hutchinson is a nice quiet little place if you have enough money coming in from somewhere else. There is a huge meth community, most people are poor and uneducated, but there is a better class there.

Hutchinson even has one or two actual Billionaires.

My father actually lives in a $30,000 house. It's not bad. It is small. He bought it for $10K and put $20k into it. Everything is NEW. The neighborhood isn't pretty, but it is very very reasonably safe!!

For normal priced houses ($100k-$500K) they do want far too much. And people in Hutch are stubborn. They'll price something 50% higher than it's worth and sit on it for YEARS.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedManInBlueState View Post
Howdy T2P. Thanks for the reply!

It does seem like $25K for a non-fixer-upper house is too good to be true, but there seem to be a lot of them in the area I mentioned. (Interestingly, few if any have interior photos. Humm...) Being totally unfamiliar with the area, Hutchinson, or Kansas, it's hard to know what to infer. Is the area in a "bad part of town," and, if so, what does that say about the rest of the town? What does a seriously modest, but in-good-shape house go for out there? I know you can't say, but perhaps someone else can.

Then again, the odds of all going well with my transfer probably make this discussion irrelevant. ;-)

Thanks again!

Cordially,
[who ever I am here ;-) ]

There are many $30k-ish homes that aren't so bad. They're not park place, you know, but they're in fairly safe areas. It's nothing where you're going to be mugged or robbed. And you can tell the "not park place" from the "really bad" area ... just drive around one day - it will only take an hour or so to figure it out.

My sister also bought a house, she paid the full $30k but it's two bedrooms on a generous lot with new siding and updates inside... good plumbing, roof and all.

My father lives on Justice Street and my Sister lives on East 2nd street...

It's not PRETTY - but it ain't too bad. You can even leave you car unlocked and probably not have a problem (but you shouldn't).

Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedManInBlueState View Post
Hello again, T2P!

Thanks for taking the time to post additional information!

I must confess that the idea of there being a bad neighborhood in Kansas boggles my mind. At least "bad" as I (we) New Yorker's think of bad. Obviously, a neighborhood frequented by tornados would qualify as bad <g>, but bad people? You're pulling my leg! Everyone knows that bad people, in America, only live on the coasts. All of the fly-over states are populated by industrious, hard working, honest folk, like on "Little House on the Prairie." Surely a prime time television show wouldn't lie?

With regard to my move, on the unlikely chance that it happens, it would involve my transferring to an identical position in Kansas with my current, accursed employer. In principle, I would be paid the same there as I am paid here in NYC. In practice, I'd be working different/worse/slightly less remunerative hours, but, if my job were located in a nice area with decent $25K houses, this would make a *world* of difference. ;-) (And, of course, I have no control over where the job is located, only if I accept it.)

Obviously you are quite correct that it would be good to check the area out before making any decisions (assuming that I am giving the decision to make). But really, nothing in Kansas -- not ever run down houses in unfashionable areas -- can be as bad as even a good area of NYC?

Cordially,
[Whoever I am here ;-)]

Yeah - it ain't "Philly bad" where you can't walk out the ***** door... There are a couple of VERY disgustingly run down areas, but even they aren't that kind of "bad"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas