U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 27,901,001 times

Advertisements

I just got accepted to the University of Kansas today. Just wondering what the overall vibe of Lawrence is like? Things to do around the city? What do people usually do? Are there many outdoor activities to do ?

A bit of an oxymoron, but I was also accepted to the University of Missouri and really liked it there. Just wondering how Lawrence compares to Columbia?

What I like about the University of Kansas is that they offer a dual major in my field (Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering) whereas Missouri only has the minor in Aerospace.

I'm definitely interested in both! Would love to hear more information about Kansas/Lawrence before I schedule a visit.

Thanks for any help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 PM

13,724 posts, read 16,784,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I just got accepted to the University of Kansas today. Just wondering what the overall vibe of Lawrence is like? Things to do around the city? What do people usually do? Are there many outdoor activities to do ?

A bit of an oxymoron, but I was also accepted to the University of Missouri and really liked it there. Just wondering how Lawrence compares to Columbia?

What I like about the University of Kansas is that they offer a dual major in my field (Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering) whereas Missouri only has the minor in Aerospace.

I'm definitely interested in both! Would love to hear more information about Kansas/Lawrence before I schedule a visit.

Thanks for any help.
Go visit both before school is out this year. It's a whole different place when school's not in full swing. People can tell you all kinds of things, but you really have to experience it for yourself to know. I went to KU. I fell in love with it the first time I set foot on campus. By contrast, I hated K-State. Nothing I can put my finger on, I just didn't like the vibe of the place and knew immediately it was not for me.

You don't really have to schedule a visit; just go. Walk around campus. Go visit the School of Engineering and talk to students. Go downtown and walk down Mass Street. There is lots to do and students have a week on campus before classes start with activities, parties, dances, etc. People will be recruiting you for all kinds of organizations/groups; just pick what you are interested in. Not hard to get involved and feel a part of things right from the start. Yes, there are outdoor activities. There are various sports clubs you can join at KU - rowing, soccer, golf, etc. I see you live in Michigan. Winters here won't be as cold as you are used to probably. If you don't join a formal club, still lots to do. Sledding down the hill to Potter Lake in the winter for one. Tennis courts right across from Allen Fieldhouse. People always playing frisbee on campus, etc., and don't mind if others join in.

Do the same in Columbia.

I bet after visiting both places, you will know exactly where you want to be.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Go visit both before school is out this year. It's a whole different place when school's not in full swing. People can tell you all kinds of things, but you really have to experience it for yourself to know. I went to KU. I fell in love with it the first time I set foot on campus. By contrast, I hated K-State. Nothing I can put my finger on, I just didn't like the vibe of the place and knew immediately it was not for me.

You don't really have to schedule a visit; just go. Walk around campus. Go visit the School of Engineering and talk to students. Go downtown and walk down Mass Street. There is lots to do and students have a week on campus before classes start with activities, parties, dances, etc. People will be recruiting you for all kinds of organizations/groups; just pick what you are interested in. Not hard to get involved and feel a part of things right from the start. Yes, there are outdoor activities. There are various sports clubs you can join at KU - rowing, soccer, golf, etc. I see you live in Michigan. Winters here won't be as cold as you are used to probably. If you don't join a formal club, still lots to do. Sledding down the hill to Potter Lake in the winter for one. Tennis courts right across from Allen Fieldhouse. People always playing frisbee on campus, etc., and don't mind if others join in.

Do the same in Columbia.

I bet after visiting both places, you will know exactly where you want to be.
Yeah totally, I already visited Columbia and loved it. I plan to visit Kansas sometime coming up too, but I was just trying to get an idea of the overall vibe of the city.

I understand that you do have to visit the city to really know though. But thanks for the advice and info, I will definitely keep it in mind !

Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,377,386 times
KU has a much prettier campus than MU; really, there is no comparison. Plenty of outdoor activities near campus be it intermural sports, getting out to Clinton Lake, cycling, rowing on the Kaw, etc... . KU has a rich offering of music and theater venues be in on campus or off (see KU's Lied Center).

While KU does not sit right on the city center as does the MU campus it is a very easy walk downtown. Additionally I think Lawrence's downtown shopping and resturant district is nicer than that of Columbia in the immediate campus area. But, what can I say, I'm biased. I faced the same choice between MU and KU and chose to be a Jayhawk.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
KU has a much prettier campus than MU; really, there is no comparison. Plenty of outdoor activities near campus be it intermural sports, getting out to Clinton Lake, cycling, rowing on the Kaw, etc... . KU has a rich offering of music and theater venues be in on campus or off (see KU's Lied Center).

While KU does not sit right on the city center as does the MU campus it is a very easy walk downtown. Additionally I think Lawrence's downtown shopping and resturant district is nicer than that of Columbia in the immediate campus area. But, what can I say, I'm biased. I faced the same choice between MU and KU and chose to be a Jayhawk.

Wow, you think the KU campus is nicer? That's crazy, I thought the MU campus was beautiful, I didn't think Kansas was going to compare. I am pretty excited to see the campus and do a visit now.

Kansas seems really cool, and I do like the fact that I can finish off with a dual major instead of a major+minor in my field.

One question I had, since you're a grad from there... how are they in terms of internships? For engineering, it is imperitive to get internships and research while you're there. Is KU pretty good about helping students get in the internships? How about research with professors? Is it readily available?

Last edited by intelfan11315; 04-12-2012 at 01:13 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Wow, you think the KU campus is nicer? That's crazy, I thought the MU campus was beautiful, I didn't think Kansas was going to compare. I am pretty excited to see the campus and do a visit now.

Kansas seems really cool, and I do like the fact that I can finish off with a dual major instead of a major+minor in my field.

One question I had, since you're a grad from there... how are they in terms of internships? For engineering, it is imperitive to get internships and research while you're there. Is KU pretty good about helping students get in the internships? How about research with professors? Is it readily available?
Internships - yes. They give all kinds of help with internships, etc. http://www.careerservices.ku.edu/ http://www.kucareerhawk.com

This is a reminder that the first ever Internship Symposium will be this coming Tuesday, March 13 from 5-7pm on Level 3 of the Burge Union. Come and learn about internship opportunities within various industries. Panelists will include employers and former interns from particular industries who will talk about their opportunities and experiences and answer questions from the student audience. Click here for a list of attending panelists. Each panel will last 45 minutes. You will be able to attend a total of two panels.

The event will include the following five industry panels:
  • Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations/Design/Event Planning
  • Non-Profit
  • Government/History/Political Science
  • Business/Management/Sales
  • Engineering/Technology/Architecture
This event is hosted by Delta Epsilon Iota, Nu Epsilon in partnership with the University Career Center. We hope to see you there!

Questions? Contact the University Career Center at (785) 864-3624 or ucc@ku.edu.

Sincerely,

University Career Center
110 Burge Union

Registration is available for the Spring 2012 Etiquette Dinner on Wednesday, April 4, 6:00 - 8:30pm, at the Adams Alumni Center. Take advantage of this great opportunity to network with a variety of employers and alumni, while learning professional and dining etiquette to help you stand out among the competition in your job or internship search.

Seats are only $15.00 per student. Go to KUCareerHawk.com/SpringDinner2012and register today before the event reaches capacity.

The registration deadline is March 28 at 5:00pm. Refunds are not available for cancellations. Seats are assigned and business attire is required.

We look forward to seeing you on April 4!

Erin Wolfram, Assistant Director, Internships
University Career Center, The University of Kansas
ewolfram@ku.edu
785-864-7676

I've never been to the MU campus, but I went to KU and the KU campus is beautiful.

University of Kansas Campus Beauty - YouTube

Last edited by luzianne; 04-12-2012 at 02:20 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 02:29 AM

Welcome to The Hill - Part 2 - YouTube

KU Alma Mater & Rock Chalk Chant in HD - YouTube

Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 AM

Best college song ever - I'm a Jayhawk (below). You wanted to know about KU/Lawrence, so here is some of it (easier to show you than tell you)...but you still need to go see for yourself and then compare to what you saw at MU and come to your own decision.

Kansas jayhawks fight song i'm a jayhawk - YouTube

Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,701,723 times
Another consideration: Columbia is a larger city than Lawrence. But Lawrence is much closer to a major metropolitan area (Kansas City).

I'm a Lawrence native, a KU grad, and the son of a retired KU engineering professor, so of course I want you to choose KU.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM

14,174 posts, read 24,579,616 times
I graduated from KU and loved Lawrence. Beautiful campus on a hill overlooking the city, lots to do. It seems to have the benefits of small town and city living at the same time. I've never seen another college campus that sits on a hill like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas