Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times

Advertisements

How liberal is Liberal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How liberal is Liberal?
Harrier read a story about Liberal, KS which gave the history of the name. It seems that wagon trains would pass through the area and a man who had a well would give the travelers water, to which they responded "that's mighty liberal of you".

Incidentally, Harrier came across that tidbit in a story about the Liberal Pancake Race on Shrove Tuesday.

The city was in a competition with Olney, England, where a similar race has taken place for over 500 years.

Is that race still conducted in Liberal?

Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 AM

6 posts, read 7,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
oh quit complaining, i have never, ever had anyone laugh in my face when I didn't know spanish.

Either learn the language to be more competitive, take what you can get while you are there, or leave, simple as that, but quit blaming other people for YOUR problems.
Out of all that, you pick one thing to complain about?! Not that this town allows for absolutely nothing to come here to better our community? Or that the schools discriminate against special needs children? Or that unless you have the right last name, your opinion means nothing? I've been laughed at several times because I don't speak Spanish. And why should I have to learn another language? Why shouldn't they have to learn the language of this country?! Heck, now the health department has a rule that unless your interpreting you can't speak Spanish, just wished more businesses would follow suit. My problem?! No, this is everyone's problem here, unless your bilingual. Once again, reverse racism is rampant here and this town just flat out sucks. And don't worry, as soon as I'm able to, I'm out of this hell hole!! No way will I force my children to grow up in this crappy town more than I have to.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:56 PM

620 posts, read 1,746,562 times
Have you left yet? What kind of job are you qualified for? Based on your complete lack of proper grammar and your inability to write a sentence, I doubt you're qualified much.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:42 PM

6 posts, read 7,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
Have you left yet? What kind of job are you qualified for? Based on your complete lack of proper grammar and your inability to write a sentence, I doubt you're qualified much.
Actually jbear because I do not speak Spanish I'm not qualified for much of anything around here. But thanks for your concern. If I wanted your opinion, I'd ask for it. And unfortunately due to family problems I'm unable to leave. But as soon as I'm able, I'm out of this crap hole. As for my grammar, its far superior to most people who have taken jobs that I'm qualified for. Only difference is I don't speak Spanish and they do. Those that have spent tens of thousands of dollars for school can't get jobs while people who dropped out of high school get top, high paying jobs simply because they speak Spanish. Now how messed up is that? But yep, I'm the problem in this town with my "poor" grammar.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl84 View Post
Actually jbear because I do not speak Spanish I'm not qualified for much of anything around here. But thanks for your concern. If I wanted your opinion, I'd ask for it. And unfortunately due to family problems I'm unable to leave. But as soon as I'm able, I'm out of this crap hole. As for my grammar, its far superior to most people who have taken jobs that I'm qualified for. Only difference is I don't speak Spanish and they do. Those that have spent tens of thousands of dollars for school can't get jobs while people who dropped out of high school get top, high paying jobs simply because they speak Spanish. Now how messed up is that? But yep, I'm the problem in this town with my "poor" grammar.
My suggestion for researching quality places to move to is to go onto the quickfacts census website and look at educational attainment for every single city and county within a state you are interested in. All the information will give you knowledge to make a solid decision regarding desirable places to move to. You would be shocked at huge differences in demographics in relatively short distances.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 AM

180 posts, read 261,633 times
I've been looking at a job in Liberal. My wife is particularly attracted to the astonishingly low rent and the overall affordability. The rub: I don't speak Spanish. How much of a barrier would this realistically be in Liberal (which I have never visited)?

Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
I've been looking at a job in Liberal. My wife is particularly attracted to the astonishingly low rent and the overall affordability. The rub: I don't speak Spanish. How much of a barrier would this realistically be in Liberal (which I have never visited)?
I think "the rub" is that you have to live in Liberal, KS. What are you going to do there? Liberal looks like it's a 5 hour or so drive from either Denver or OKC, and not much inbetween. I've only driven through Liberal, and I've spent a couple days in Garden City. That's why it's so cheap... living there is very isolated. But I suppose there are people who like that.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:17 PM

180 posts, read 261,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think "the rub" is that you have to live in Liberal, KS. What are you going to do there? Liberal looks like it's a 5 hour or so drive from either Denver or OKC, and not much inbetween. I've only driven through Liberal, and I've spent a couple days in Garden City. That's why it's so cheap... living there is very isolated. But I suppose there are people who like that.
I'm looking for a teaching job. As it turns out, I have an interview in a town between Liberal and Dodge City lined up for this week. I've never been out that way and I do imagine it would be quite a culture shock. I've been trying for a full time position long enough that I would be more than willing to do it, despite having never lived anywhere smaller than Lawrence.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,549 times
That town was a hell hole 20 years ago, I used to go there as a trucker. I would never suggest moving there. Other places like it are Dodge City, Garden City. A lot of illegals because the big companies pay low wages. When I first started going there it was Americans working. The greedy companies brought the town down. Liberal is not liberal or conservative. It is greedy republicans. They are not conservatives as the liberals today in the Democrat party are not liberal. I hate them both. Do not move there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas