Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times

Advertisements

Bkern,

Where in Kansas are severe storms most frequent? Around Emporia? Or are they more out west? I love your pics, Kansas certainly has is subtle beauty with the open terrain and sky. Please post more pics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Interesting read on NPR today:
New Hazard On The Horizon: Amateur Storm Chasers : NPR

Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Bkern,

Where in Kansas are severe storms most frequent? Around Emporia? Or are they more out west? I love your pics, Kansas certainly has is subtle beauty with the open terrain and sky. Please post more pics...
There really isn't any specific area in Kansas that gets hit worse than other parts. It just depends on where the fronts are located.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
It really just common sense. I don't know why people would park in the middle of the road when the shoulders give you plenty of room to park. Not too sure what the cop is going to arrest people for. If they are on the side of the road out of the way, the cop can't do anything about it.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 PM

An interesting article I just read on Kake.com. Seems that the police are already pulling over people for chasing, and the professionals aren't happy about it. Hmmm.

Monday, April 30, 2012

When severe weather hits KAKEland, trained storm chasers like Lanny Dean are out in full force trying to capture a tornado touchdown on camera.

"We are truly out there for a reason: to teach people weather, to show them weather," said Dean, owner and lead forecaster of Extreme Chase Tours.

Chasers are also the eyes and the ears of the storm.

"We validate that warning process by giving direct information to the NWS, to local media outlets, such as Jay Prater," said Dean.

That is what Dean and his crew were doing Friday when he says he was pulled over near Coffeyville by a trooper with the Kansas Highway Patrol.

"What we feel like the reason was for the officer pulling us over was what I consider nothing more than targeting," said Dean.

Dean says seven other chasers were also pulled over in different parts of the state for frivolous reasons, and lectured about their involvement in the chase.

Deans says many were threatened with tickets, even jail time. He says they were warned about the tinting of their car windows and the proper way to park.

Why were they attacked, as Dean puts it? He says they are being lumped together with all chasers and spotters, even the people who are only out there for the thrill.

The Kansas Highway Patrol says any stop is a necessary one.

"When we stop a motorist at any time, we've got to have probable cause for that traffic stop. So, we would not stop a vehicle for no reason," said Trooper Gary Warner, Kansas Highway Patrol.

Dean disagrees and fears soon he and others may be forced to quit chasing in Kansas, which he says puts everyone in danger.

"How many people are going to have to die before people realize we're worth our weight in gold out there?" asked Dean

Are Storm Chasers Being Targeted By KHP?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 PM

72,975 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Just wondering, does anyone here do any storm chasing? I've always been fascinated by storms and I'm going to be moving to Kansas in the next couple months and would love to start doing it.. but I want to get more educated on it before I really go out and do it. Things can get dangerous quick from what I've read (and from common sense).
The first thing is to know what kind of equipment you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas