U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Kansas
21,166 posts, read 16,901,877 times
Reputation: 19944

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Anywhere: Well, then you know different locations in different states can be vastly different. No state is homogenized. IN NC, our local schools were absolutely terrible. My autisitic son was a star in his class, because he actually did his homework and studied for tests. In some cases the teacher would give out the questions to an upcoming test, give out the answers, tell the kids to write the answers in a notebook, give the test open book and open notebook, and some kids still failed. They couldn't read or write, even though it was 6th grade.

My wife heard 2 locals talking one day in the YMCA. One said, 'Well you know, there's two kinds of "Yankees", the good ones leave, the bad ones stay". One elderly member of our church one day confessed that he had always thought that the purpose of Black people was to serve the White people. And this guy had been a school principal, not just some local redneck with a 5th grade education. I could tell more stories, but that might help explain.
I homeschooled in NC as my son was in school there one week because of the behaviors he was picking up and a very long bus ride.

Racism has so many faces and when you have had the chance to "sample" the way it is displayed, it is "interesting" and every place does seem a little different.

The best area in KS is still between Salina and Topeka, staying near I-70. It is more conservative and I like the scenery. It is casual and friendly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
 
Location: SW Kansas
1,787 posts, read 3,544,985 times
Reputation: 1421
Pratt is a great little town. It has a nice hospital and it's only 70ish miles from Wichita, which has all kinds of medical options. There is even a small "lake" on the east side of town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Stephenville, Texas
997 posts, read 1,557,708 times
Reputation: 2013
Can anyone give more information about Abilene? Having been through there several times, I always find it a friendly town and just love some of the old homes there. There is just a good feel to the town and I've wondered if that might be a good place to retire. I really enjoyed the Eisenhower Center and another museum that I've forgotten the name.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Kansas
21,166 posts, read 16,901,877 times
Reputation: 19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Can anyone give more information about Abilene? Having been through there several times, I always find it a friendly town and just love some of the old homes there. There is just a good feel to the town and I've wondered if that might be a good place to retire. I really enjoyed the Eisenhower Center and another museum that I've forgotten the name.
What kind of information are you looking for? I remember a Museum of Telephony and the Greyhound Museum. Abilene is nice and a handy location but real estate runs high being closer to Fort Riley. Whatever Abilene doesn't have, you could find in Salina about 30 minutes away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Stephenville, Texas
997 posts, read 1,557,708 times
Reputation: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
What kind of information are you looking for? I remember a Museum of Telephony and the Greyhound Museum. Abilene is nice and a handy location but real estate runs high being closer to Fort Riley. Whatever Abilene doesn't have, you could find in Salina about 30 minutes away.
Basically just what it was like to live there. Salina is far too big...I'm wanting to retire in a small town. Hmm, I've looked at real estate on yahoo and in Abilene it is very reasonable. You can find an old Victorian home (that needs TLC) for between 50-80k. The Museum of Telephony is one of the museums I visited but forgot the name of, as well as Eisenhower Center. I thought Fort Riley was near Junction City.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Kansas
21,166 posts, read 16,901,877 times
Reputation: 19944
Fort Riley is near Junction City but people still commute from Abilene and other outlying smaller towns. They had troop strength really grow and lots of housing went in. If you look at the housing market in Abilene, you'll see most of the places are newer and they have a lot of high dollar houses on the market. With $50,000 to $80,000, you'll be looking at more than a little TLC and keep in mind that if you do the work yourself and want to keep costs down, you'll be driving probably into Salina to pick up supplies or paying for the convenience of shopping locally which sounds like a good idea but gets costly. I think they have just the one grocery store located by Alco or so it was the last time we were there and no Wal-Mart (yeah, sometimes I think that is a good thing). The Chamber of Commerce has a pretty good website. Again, it depends on what you are looking for as far as costs and services. We are torn between smaller and larger since we realize that services are limited in smaller towns and we would have to drive in. If only Utopia existed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Stephenville, Texas
997 posts, read 1,557,708 times
Reputation: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Fort Riley is near Junction City but people still commute from Abilene and other outlying smaller towns. They had troop strength really grow and lots of housing went in. If you look at the housing market in Abilene, you'll see most of the places are newer and they have a lot of high dollar houses on the market. With $50,000 to $80,000, you'll be looking at more than a little TLC and keep in mind that if you do the work yourself and want to keep costs down, you'll be driving probably into Salina to pick up supplies or paying for the convenience of shopping locally which sounds like a good idea but gets costly. I think they have just the one grocery store located by Alco or so it was the last time we were there and no Wal-Mart (yeah, sometimes I think that is a good thing). The Chamber of Commerce has a pretty good website. Again, it depends on what you are looking for as far as costs and services. We are torn between smaller and larger since we realize that services are limited in smaller towns and we would have to drive in. If only Utopia existed.
Thank you...this is exactly what I wanted to know! I really appreciate your response. I will continue researching...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top