Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 07:17 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times

Advertisements

I was in Council Grove years ago and am looking for a place similar to my hometown in MI and it is a very close match. It seems to sit out there in Morris County and not make a lot of noise or have negative headlines on a continuing basis like where I live now. When we lived in Junction City, I always heard good things about Council Grove. Does anyone have any feedback on that city that they would like to share? I am looking at cities/towns of about 2,000 people and having services like grocery, drug store, hardware and medical services of just a limited nature and I was looking at Herington but Council Grove looks more promising, I think. We finally have a contract on our house so if the buyer doesn't back out, maybe I can change "AnywhereElse" to "UtopiaRealized", I know, wishful thinking but anything would be an improvement at this point! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
I have visited Council Grove before and I traveled the route that takes one through the historic sites. It is definitely unique which I believe is due to it being nestled among the Flint Hills on the old Santa Fe Trail. One of my favorite historic sites was a cave over a wooded ravine that a monk lived in for a while in the 1800's. Council Grove seemed like a nice enough place.

It has been my experience that utopias don't exist. In the 19th century, several small communities were established for the express purpose of creating a utopia. All of them failed after a few years if not before. In the 20th century, many cults came and went - members of such groups were also seeking a utopia.

People sometimes think the community their grew up in as a child was a utopia, but often it only seemed that way because they weren't aware of all of the drama and the seedy problems of the adult community. Drunks, domestic abuse, sexual abuse, extramarital affairs, gossip, existed then and now. We just hear about more now.

This is not to be pessimistic. I am very happy and have a very good life right now with great neighbors and friends and co-workers, but it is no utopia. I think no matter where one lives, if one dwells on the negative, it can seem everything is corrupt and fallen, but if one focuses and celebrates the positive, things can seem pretty good. Yes, there are differences between neighborhoods and cities, between ghettos and gated communities, between small towns and big cities. And some may be pleasant enough to be a good fit for us, but if we are expecting a utopia, we are bound to be disappointed.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 PM

When I was in college in the 70's, I read about the religious communities that sprung up in the 19th century (for the most part). They had attempted to practice Communism in the purest form but selfishness and greed consumed them. And, selfishness and greed is consuming our current area. Trust me that if you reviewed the headlines here over the last 5 years, it would leave you stunned and I am well aware that people that live in a city will say that it is just like every place else, claim the crime is low, claim people are friendly but if you have nothing to compare it with.........

Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM

396 posts, read 998,752 times
I can't speak for what Council Grove is like to actually live in but I have been there several times over the years. It's a clean town, with a lot of history. There are two lakes. One is much larger but the other has homes on it and is large enough to ski. I have some family that has a lake house there and that's what brought me there. For as small of a town as it is, it's in great shape, and has a nice river walk by downtown. So, in terms of recreation and natural beauty it has plenty. It's more isolated than SEK but close enough to Manhattan. Not too terribly far from Wichita or KC either. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
I can't speak for what Council Grove is like to actually live in but I have been there several times over the years. It's a clean town, with a lot of history. There are two lakes. One is much larger but the other has homes on it and is large enough to ski. I have some family that has a lake house there and that's what brought me there. For as small of a town as it is, it's in great shape, and has a nice river walk by downtown. So, in terms of recreation and natural beauty it has plenty. It's more isolated than SEK but close enough to Manhattan. Not too terribly far from Wichita or KC either. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for.
Thanks, I think the location is good and even to Topeka since you can drive east and get on the toll road according to the map. We love camping and natural beauty so hoping to go visit in the next couple of weeks. They are having their annual festival Washunga Days this coming weekend and I doubt that word is spelled right but the spell check did not have a clue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas