Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,917,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
You must have lived under a rock when you lived in Kansas. This is not my experience AT ALL. Most people in Kansas listen to country? Sorry, that is so not true. I am 55 and have lived in the area my entire life even when I was 8 years old most people didn't listen to country. I'm not young, but even I knew who Ludacris was 10 years or more ago. Rap has been around since the 70s (early rap) and there were most definitely rap stations back then. You must have led a very sheltered life when you lived in Kansas.
Wow, you're kind of rude. Where do you live and what are people listening to? I know people don't exclusively listen to country, but if radio stations count for anything (outside of the larger cities), that's what the market is demanding.

For the record, I don't listen to country. If not having access to a radio station that plays rap because I live in a rural community means I live under a rock, then so be it.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,125,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Wow, you're kind of rude. Where do you live and what are people listening to? I know people don't exclusively listen to country, but if radio stations count for anything (outside of the larger cities), that's what the market is demanding.

For the record, I don't listen to country. If not having access to a radio station that plays rap because I live in a rural community means I live under a rock, then so be it.
Sorry, but what you stated in your former post, that MOST PEOPLE IN KANSAS STILL LISTEN TO COUNTRY, just is patently false. Maybe in your experience that is what you have heard people listen to, but you didn't say that. To say it as fact is just wrong because it's not true. I happen to like some country music as well as all other kinds of music, but so does the rest of the United States, not just Kansans. To say that younger people listen to more than country but older people listen to mostly country is just, again, false. Maybe your parents and your friends do, but I would venture to say that they are not most Kansans. And part of my Kansas upbringing was in a small town and as a teenager I definitely did not listen to country music. I listened to rock and rock and soul, the same as the other kids my age.

Even when I was a kid in Kansas in the 60s, my parents listened to country music (which I hated!) but they also listened to things like Petula Clark (the song Downtown reminds me of my childhood), whatever kind of music that is. And then Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. Definitely not all country.

All I'm saying is that you posting broad generalizations of Kansas based on your young, limited experience, and what you stated - that most Kansans still listen to country music - is wrong. That wasn't even the case 40 years ago when I was a kid.

Last edited by luzianne; 07-23-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM

77,734 posts, read 59,858,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'll be the Kansas moderator!
Um, yeah....that would be like installing David Duke as the leader of Israel.

You can't even admit why people (like my friend) fled KCMO when faced with some unexpected twins and had to consider two choices:

1) Move back to JOCO.

2) Send our kids to the state penitentary that is the KCMO school system.

Ooops lost another taxpayer.

But hey, at least you still ahve the really rich that can choose private schools or childless couples.

Oh snap, at least you still ahve the pro-baseball, the airport etc. if only we could still visit those places despite living in KS....oh wait...we can!

Whatever helps you sleep at night for the collosal failings of KCMO. It's everyone else that is at fault....just not KCMO....

Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,753,436 times
Quote:
You must have lived under a rock when you lived in Kansas. This is not my experience AT ALL. Most people in Kansas listen to country? Sorry, that is so not true. I am 55 and have lived in the area my entire life even when I was 8 years old most people didn't listen to country. I'm not young, but even I knew who Ludacris was 10 years or more ago. Rap has been around since the 70s (early rap) and there were most definitely rap stations back then. You must have led a very sheltered life when you lived in Kansas.
What's so hard to believe about most Kansans listening to country? Maybe things have changed in ten years but I distinctly remember driving through Nebraska in the end of 2001, and wanting to find a radio station. I know Nebraska isn't Kansas, but it's geographically close and has a roughly similar population profile, geographic profile, and climate profile to Nebraska... so it's at least a reasonable approximation. I remember finding three operating radio stations when I searched - two had country music and one had Rush Limbaugh. Just because people KNOW of rap artists (if you even want to stretch the meaning of the term "artist" to include rappers) doesn't mean they listen to them. I could tell people quite a bit about modern rap artists but truthfully, I can't think of any rap song produced after 1990 for which I have any use. I don't listen to any of it unless I'm forced to play a rap song at a DJ gig.

One thing I've come to notice from research is that Kansas is mostly "plains", with few trees and subject to at least moderate-length droughts. Does anyone believe that Kansas, in general, is any good for living an off-grid, self-sustaining lifestyle? (One would imagine that long droughts would make it tough to grow food and find potable water.)

Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,125,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
What's so hard to believe about most Kansans listening to country?
Because I have lived in Kansas and Missouri for 55 years and I know better. That's why.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,917,545 times
Anyway...

There are people all over Kansas living off the grid. I don't have personal experience, but somehow they are making it work. I don't know how the well thing works, really, but using well water is common. I guess depending on your location, that will dry up if you don't have a deep enough well.

A family I used to know who lived off the grid got their water from the rural water district. They drove their truck there when they were out and filled up a huge water container and used that for their household water.

I'm sure if you google "off-the-grid kansas" you'll find some useful information and maybe some related forums. I'm planning to go off the grid eventually, but in Arkansas...they have more trees and rain...

Btw...I've read of people living in the desert in Arizona and New Mexico and using only water they catch through roof-top rain-water harvesting....so if that can work in the desert, I'd think it would work in Kansas too.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,753,436 times
Quote:
Because I have lived in Kansas and Missouri for 55 years and I know better. That's why.
So are you an east Kansas girl?

Honestly, it'd be tough to poll everyone. I live in Texas right now and I can promise you that most Texans listen to country. In my small area of Texas, most of the people listen to rap & hip-hop, but I shouldn't even have to explain what causes that. Given the law of averages, the bulk of Texans listen to country. I've DJed all over the state, fielded requests from countless numbers of people... I know what they listen to.

People tend to listen to music that reflects the mentality they have or the mentality they want to have. That's why the musical taste of the populace is something I pay attention to, when considering a move.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,991,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'll be the Kansas moderator!
Best joke I've heard in ages!!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 AM

12,882 posts, read 13,548,684 times
Many people in Kansas listen to classical music. Kansas has many well supported public radio stations that bring Jazz, classical and folk music to every corner of the state. High Plains public radio covers quite big area of the state including some of Texas. Every college has a station. Kansas City was the first place in the country you could listen to Top Forty. That means you could hear Ray Charles, Brenda Lee, Sam Cooke, Elvis and Percy Faith on the same station. IMO A lot of Country music today is really Soft Rock or Pop.

I think when people drive through Kansas and they see large farms and listened to AM Radio they get mislead about who farmers are and what they are all about. Many of these guys are; high tech, smart, college educated, rich and art supporters. You will probably find just as many if not more farmers at a lectures, recitals, book signings or Orchestra concerts as you would a country music show.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,701,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, yeah....that would be like installing David Duke as the leader of Israel.

You can't even admit why people (like my friend) fled KCMO when faced with some unexpected twins and had to consider two choices:

1) Move back to JOCO.

2) Send our kids to the state penitentary that is the KCMO school system.

Ooops lost another taxpayer.

But hey, at least you still ahve the really rich that can choose private schools or childless couples.

Oh snap, at least you still ahve the pro-baseball, the airport etc. if only we could still visit those places despite living in KS....oh wait...we can!

Whatever helps you sleep at night for the collosal failings of KCMO. It's everyone else that is at fault....just not KCMO....
More people live in the MO suburbs than JoCo. And just as many are affluent. They are just spread out across more counties and okay with living near other demographics. Just saying .

My point is there is ONE county in all of KS that really has much going for it and that county is nothing more than spillover sprawll from a metro area based in Missouri. Kansas = Jersey of the midwest. It is what it is.

Now how about that moderator job?

Oh and lots of people in KS listen in country music. You are on crack if you think otherwise. JoCo is part of KC. The rest of the state is mostly rural and rural = country music. KS is no different than any other state in the country when it comes to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas