Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 05:43 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

We have been following the news on the strike at Hostess nationwide but especially in Emporia where we just relocated to, maybe not the greatest timing but we really like Emporia. If the company doesn't have enough workers to run their operation by 5:00 pm, today, they are going to liquidate. That is a lot of good jobs leaving Emporia. I know that Hallmark recently consolidated and is or has closed its doors in Topeka. This is a link to the story on Hostess: Hostess to liquidate if workers don't return | emporiagazette.com

Now, I grew up in Michigan as the daughter of a blue collar worker and I have always been pro-union, the union made the companies install fans where my dad worked because of temps of 120 degrees plus and did away with some other unfair practices.

Right now, temps are being hired at Hostess at $12.00, less than what the normal workers are paid and I heard that 60 temps started work there on Monday.

In the 60's, my lunch pail always packed a pair of Twinkies, a bologna sandwich and thermos of milk. I love Suzy Q's. and was unable to find them until we moved here and now, they may disappear.

I know this is causing great stress to the families involved and I hope it has a positive outcome through it being settled or a new business coming in as they hint may happen. Sad since the holidays are just around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
"In March 2012, Brian Driscoll resigned from his position as CEO.[16] Gregory Rayburn, who had been hired and named Chief Restructuring Officer only nine days earlier, assumed the leadership position. Fortune reported that union had been unhappy with Driscoll's proposed compensation package of $1.5 million, plus cash incentives and a $1.95 million "long term compensation" package. Additionally, the court had discovered that Hostess executives had received raises of up to 80% the year prior. In an effort to restore relations, Rayburn cut the salaries of the four top Hostess executives to $1, to be restored on January 1 the following year.[17]" Hostess Brands.

Looks like another story of corporate mismanagement/greed IMO....now they want to strong-arm the union workers ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Isn't "Union" a curse word in Kansas anyway? I'm surprised there are unions in KS. Union or not, for the good of America Hostess should go bankrupt, Frankenstein stuff they make don't belong in human guts.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:42 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Now if they could only figure a way to have Twinkies made in China, the CEO's could make even more. 80 percent raise the year prior, ya thats typical, corporate slime.

I'd like to see the CEO's go broke but hate to see the workers trying to support their families suffer if the place closes.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:30 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Isn't "Union" a curse word in Kansas anyway? I'm surprised there are unions in KS. Union or not, for the good of America Hostess should go bankrupt, Frankenstein stuff they make don't belong in human guts.
Depends. Kansas is a right to work state, but unions still exist with certain companies/plants like this. Kansas is/was nothing like most of the Midwest because it didn't have the strong union influence with few exceptions. Aircraft and autos being a couple examples. The scale is much smaller compared to a Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc that featured a much larger industrial and manufacturing base.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
With the update, Hostess has asked to be allowed to liquidate. I know there is the plant here in Emporia and also one in Lenexa. One theme that I have heard one time too many is that people are told that the plant that is closing will be replaced by another. I have never seen this happen but once and the new company that came into that city hired maybe 10% of the employees at a much lesser rate of pay. That is thing with business, they come where they can pay the least and get the most financial benefit from the city/county pockets and while I don't blame them since it is "business", it seems like a lot of people don't know how this works. Rumors. Anymore, until a business is physically in place, a lot of them end up deciding not to relocate or add locations because of economic conditions. I try to stick with "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas