Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:05 PM

33 posts, read 48,231 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I moved to the Lawrence, KS area March of 2012 into a lovely home. I thought my landlords were great people and had alot of trust in them. Soon as I moved in I noticed 2 of the 3 toilets were making noises and I knew something was wrong. My suspicions were confirmed when my first water bill was over a hundred bucks.

So I contacted the landlord in April and let them know. The landlord sent her husband, an unlicensed plumber to so-called fix the issue, he didn't fix it, buy any parts or anything. I called her back and let her know, the toilets were still making noises and running and causing my water bills to be high.

They flat out didn't send anyone back and I never heard from them, so I decided until I could get them to fix the issue I would just turn the water off to the toilets. Anyway, I ended up calling the landlord in June and demanding something be done and it was like Dr. Jekyl Mr. Hyde. She talked very cold and callous to me and told me she has friends that can rent her property and she didn't need me as a tenant.

I am pregnant by now and her words really hurt so I decided I was too afraid to ever call her back because of her attitude. So I just continued to contact the landlords agent regarding the repairs. In the meantime, the toilets continued to run and my water bills were double.

Every month until October I called and let them know the toilets were still running and that I couldn't use them. That month I got a water bill for $210.00!!! The problem continued to get worse and I could now hear water constantly running behind the walls. The water department came out and said there was definitely a serious problem because the meter showed constant movement. I called the landlord's agent again and told them what happened and only after my psycho landlord called the water company to confirm the high water bill did she sent her husband, unlicensed plumber to fix the issue.

The issue actually got fixed, he had to replacement some parts but the toilets were finally operating property after 8 months. I couldn't hear the water behind the wall anymore and the meter was not constantly moving. I got my next bill which was $170.00 and was now looking at a balance of almost $400.

It was very upsetting, I cried alot because my family was faced with not having water. I contacted the landlords agent and asked if the owners would pay a portion of the bill, it was after all their neglect that caused it. She called me a few days later and the answer was no.

Oh and the plot thickens, so I contacted the landlords agent regarding my washing machine that never worked properly and she voluntarily told me that the owner had agreed to help pay the water bill. Relieved that things were finally looking up, I thanked her, I never heard anything about the washer but at least it worked sometimes and I planned to buy my own washer and dryer in January.

Anyway, so I am on housing assistance and I received notification that my house would be getting inspected for my annual re certification. I immediately let the landlords agent know when the inspection would be and informed her that my gas fireplace had stopped working.

3 days later she left a message saying that she didn't understand why there was an inspection and that the fireplace used to work. I called her back and let her know that the inspection was for the annual recert and that yes the fireplace did work and we had been using it often but that it's not working now???

I thought everything was normal and fine and then 3 days later I get a notice that my landlord is not renewing my lease and that I am expected to be out on 3/1/13. I was floored, confused, upset and devastated, I didn't plan on moving for a while. I tried to contact the landlords agent and she ignored my calls.

I didn't have the owners number anymore but I did have her address from the section 8 lease, so I thought I would try to talk to her. She behaved very irrationally when I stopped by her house and told me to leave. I pleaded with her to discuss with me the fact that my baby is due on 3/4/12, how can I be expected to move on 3/1/12! She then told me she didn't care and my tenancy was not a good match for her and shut her door in my face. It was humiliating.

She also called the police on me. When I opened the door for the officer, I said, she's my landlord and she calls the police on my for trying to discuss an urgent matter with her?

I am contacting section 8 on Monday but something has to be done about this. She has caused instability and could potentially cause my family to be homeless. My baby is due on 3/4, I was planning to go on maternity leave in 10 weeks but nothing is certain when it comes to pregnancy, anything could happen. I could go into labor at 34, 36 or 38 weeks. I could end up with c-section, I mean anything could happen and medically I will not be able to move.

So I am mailing her a landlord violation of fair housing and Kansas law notice, demanding that I be able to move on 1/18/13. This way, I will only be 33 weeks pregnant and it will allow plenty of time for me to plan to move. I also demanded a full return of my deposit. Since I planned to stay at least another 5 years, I deserve my deposit returned because the landlord did not hold up their end of the bargain, I was stressed out the whole time! I also sent a notice to vacate.

I also cited that the landlord violated fair housing laws by being a predatory landlord, she intimidated me into being afraid to ask for repairs and she knew I had no family close by to lean on. She also called the police and lied. My only hope now is that their negligence and instability will be noted by section 8 and special accommodations can be made for my condition.

Please feel free to give as much legal advice as possible. I cannot imagine them holding them to my lease until March 1st, not only will I be physically incapable of moving but the landlord could lock me out and my whole family loose all of our possessions. Including all of my items I have pruchased for my new baby.

Now I am being faced with living somewhere where I have no way of contacting the owner for emergencies and the agent of the landlord will not answer my calls. She picks up and hangs up whenever I try to call so I can't leave a message.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:19 PM

31 posts, read 61,118 times
I would contact:

Legal Aid Of Douglas County
785-864-5564
1535 West 15th Street, #105
Lawrence, Kansas
Description: Free legal services to Douglas County residents who qualify, including: domestic relations (divorce, child custody), landlord/tenant relations and court-appointed juvenile and misdemeanor matters.

and:

Is it the county, Lawrence, or the state of Kansas who administers the Section 8 housing? They need to be contacted as well. I would contact Legal Aid TOMORROW.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Ok thanks, I will do that.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM

You need to speak with an attorney there asap.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM

I wish i could speak with an attorney but I can't afford an attorney.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:53 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllboogyy2012 View Post
That's what legal aid is for.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 PM

317 posts, read 826,270 times
Speaking to an attorney will do little for your situation. I am amazed you still want to live there knowing the issues with the house and the landlord. I would pack up my stuff and never look back.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllboogyy2012 View Post
Post #2 gave you all of the info!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 PM

Unfortunately, being in Section 8 housing and owing all that $$$ on a water bill, just leaving and never looking back may be harder than you realize......

Old 12-09-2012, 09:48 PM

317 posts, read 826,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterneratheart View Post
Unfortunately, being in Section 8 housing and owing all that $$$ on a water bill, just leaving and never looking back may be harder than you realize......

I never told her to not pay the water bill. The water bill will have to get paid. Maybe a lawyer can lean on the landlord a bit to settle by paying the water bill or a portion of it, but probably not because the landlord seems like the know what they are doing. She sent her husband to fix the issue. He certainly isn't going to testify in a civil matter and they know that. At this point they view the tenant as more trouble than what they are willing to put up with. That view, justified or not, is not going to change and neither is their treatment of their tenant. I wouldn't put up with it and neither should the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas