Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,303 times

Advertisements

Our job is moving from Southern California to Topeka, KS. My roommate and I, both female have one dog. No children to put in school. Want to live in a safe area. Able to rent apartment or home, can spend up to about $800 a month on rent. Would love to take advantage of public transportation if available, but we do have cars. Tried to look at map and websites - no luck knowing just what the area is like. The zip code would be 66614. Due to winter weather factors, being close to job or being in an area where the roads are cleared would be a huge plus. Know we can't have it all, but any and all advice, comments, suggestions and help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
66614 Apartments for Rent | Find Apartments in 66614 Topeka, KS
There should be quite a bit out that way. The western part of the city seems to be were people began to move to get out of the city. Go to Google map an click transit, you will find routes from any address to your place of employment.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 PM

374 posts, read 472,658 times
General advice would be to stay west of MacVicar Ave (Washburn Univ is bounded on the west by MacVicar) and east of Wannamaker, the primary commercial corridor on the west side of town. There are lots of possible places west of Wannamaker, but 21st Street is scheduled to undergo massive reconstruction between just west of Wannamaker to Urish Rd, the next mile road to the west. 29th from Urish westward should be after that, so keep that in mind. Development west of Wannamaker is generally post-1990, with appropriate "character" for such development. If you prefer smaller, older homes, a rough grid of MacVicar on the east, 6th on the north, Gage Blvd on the west and 21st on the south should have a decent option or two. And in the interest of full disclosure, Westboro Baptist Chruch is located in this area, just blocks from 12th/Huntoon and Gage, so there's that.

I'm sure others will also provide good choices for you, so happy hunting.

Joel

Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM

You are the greatest! Your information was very informative. With what you provided, I have circled all the areas on the map. If the people in Topeka are as cool as you, it should be a great move.
Thank you so much, enjoy your holiday!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM

The information on the transit system is greatly appreciated. Being an "old" lady, the Google Map instructions were great. Not that computer literate!
Thanks so much and enjoy your holiday.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:16 PM

145 posts, read 609,873 times
Stay on the west side. I lived at Villa West Apts in 2009. Walking distance to grocery store, public transporation nearby. Rent was 800 for 1200 square ft condo apt.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM

69 posts, read 162,573 times
You can probably find a house to rent for $800 a month fairly easily. Definitely find apartments. I would suggest looking at Fleming Place for apartment / townhomes, which are in your price range and walkable to grocery and some shopping, restaurants, and a coffee shop - also banks right there at Fleming Place Shopping area. Easy drive to anywhere west of there as it is on 10th and Gage - a major intersection. Also it is right across the street from Gage Park which has a Bark Park for the dog. Great place to walk to the dog, too.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 PM

69 posts, read 162,573 times
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...rtments/89972/

Actually apartment complex is Fleming Court.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM

85 posts, read 217,899 times
everyone is right about staying towards the west side of topeka, When I first moved there I wish there were sites like this to get input, but there wasn't to my knowledge. What I did back there was wrote down all the addresses of the places I was able to afford and took it to the police station and had them cross off the ones a farm boy like me had no business to be around. but that was a different time, before these new dangled forum sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: