Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are having a discussion over on the Oklahoma board about where Oklahoma "belongs" in terms of the regional areas of the USA.

In the discussions it occurred to me that in many ways, the NE quadrant of Oklahoma has a lot in common with SE Kansas and SE Missouri and to a lesser extent NW Arkansas.

Ironically, each of this areas has a completely unique political and settlement history. NW Arkansas (the least southern part of a southern confederate state). SW Missouri (a southern sympathizing part of a border state). NE Oklahoma (part of Indian territory with split allegiance). That leaves SE Kansas which would have been the part of a free northern state that was closest to the southern sympathizing states.

Through the years, the separate components of these 4 states seem to be culturally and economically similar. The Zinc mining era in particular.

My question is how do Kansans in other parts of Kansas perceive the SE part of Kansas and what, if any unique history does that area have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,178 times
Quite a few people in Western Kansas can't tell you a thing about Se Kansas and have only been there if they chose to go that way to get to Branson. I know the economy hasn't been very strong down there for the most part and that several of the larger towns like Pittsburg still have some impressive commercial buildings from the mining days. I considered going to college in Pittsburg, but most of the towns on the drive left me with a depressed feeling as they looked depressed either from decades of population loss or never properly rebuilding from floods. The area is geographically beautiful though and I did enjoy the scenery down there more then anything else. The last thing I can tell you is that some of the communities have big problems with groundwater quality. Big tip, In Pittsburg only drink bottled water.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
We lived for 8 years in southeast KS. It is very different than the areas off of I-70 where we had lived before and not in a good way. Drugs were a big problem and, yes, they are a problem everywhere but other areas actually try to do something about it while it seems that they (cities and the state) just "study" it there which brings in a lot of others that are interested in that life style. Actually, jobs are available as is lower cost housing and if they would clean up the drug problem and all the bad stuff that comes with that, it would be a decent place to live. I did not see a lot of impressive history there. Fort Scott, the national park, has a nice set-up that is worth seeing to understand about the whole free slave state thing. We did find SE KS to often show a lack of pride of ownership of their homes and cities though and even with jobs available, welfare tended to be the first and only choice that some were willing to pursue and that gets old to watch.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
SE Kansas used to be one of the most Democratic areas of Kansas years ago, outside of Wyandotte County of course. I don't know if it still is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: