U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,150,197 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how much electric bills run in the hot summer months for a 1-2 bedroom apartment in KS? I know it depends on the total sq footage, age of the AC, etc, but I guess I'm asking how much others are paying to cool about 1,000 sq feet, in a hot month such as July or Aug. Do you know how many kWh per month you are using? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM

5,090 posts, read 8,556,701 times
It will also depend on which utility co. is providing the electricity.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,417,554 times
And it also depends on which direction your apartment faces. . . i.e., if your windows face west you'll get the hot afternoon sun that will cost you more to run the a/c since the sun doesn't set until after 8:30 p.m. To help reduce costs, try and get an apt that faces north to avoid the sun (next option would be east or south facing).

Also depends on how well insulated the unit is and if there are any air leaks around the windows or slider door; whether or not you have a w/d in your unit; and how efficient the fridge operates.

In my 1-bed apt my avg kwh/mo is around 400, and the elect bill runs around $60/mo in the hottest months (and that is mainly because I'm on the 'average pay plan'). The actual cost during the summer is around $140/mo.

Some prefer it very cool and keep the thermostat set around 68 and others are comfy when it's set at 78.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,150,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
And it also depends on which direction your apartment faces. . . i.e., if your windows face west you'll get the hot afternoon sun that will cost you more to run the a/c since the sun doesn't set until after 8:30 p.m. To help reduce costs, try and get an apt that faces north to avoid the sun (next option would be east or south facing).

Also depends on how well insulated the unit is and if there are any air leaks around the windows or slider door; whether or not you have a w/d in your unit; and how efficient the fridge operates.

In my 1-bed apt my avg kwh/mo is around 400, and the elect bill runs around $60/mo in the hottest months (and that is mainly because I'm on the 'average pay plan'). The actual cost during the summer is around $140/mo.

Some prefer it very cool and keep the thermostat set around 68 and others are comfy when it's set at 78.

Thanks! Here in MI, I used about 250 kwh/mo in the hottest month here last summer (Aug), but without using an AC (I only have a 60 yr old AC built into the wall of a very old apt complex), so I try to manage with lots of fans--a big challenge! That old AC is very inefficient and when I've used it in past years, my bill went through the roof.

You mentioned your actual cost in the summer is around $140/mo. What is your actual kwh usage per month in the summer? You mentioned an ave of 400 kwh/mo, but what is the actual kwh/mo in the summer. Much higher I would imagine.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,417,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thanks! Here in MI, I used about 250 kwh/mo in the hottest month here last summer (Aug), but without using an AC (I only have a 60 yr old AC built into the wall of a very old apt complex), so I try to manage with lots of fans--a big challenge! That old AC is very inefficient and when I've used it in past years, my bill went through the roof.

You mentioned your actual cost in the summer is around $140/mo. What is your actual kwh usage per month in the summer? You mentioned an ave of 400 kwh/mo, but what is the actual kwh/mo in the summer. Much higher I would imagine.
400 kwh/mo is the avg during summer; mainly because I have a small apt (600 sq), I set the thermostat at around 78-80 deg, and have those dimmer things on my lamps so that I use very little electricity for lighting (and use a night light in the bathroom), I don't watch much tv...etc.

You have to use a/c in this area due to the humidity, if we had very low or no humidity then a fan would certainly help out a lot.

If you can find an apt where the LL pays for gas/elect you'll have a very well insulated unit since they're paying the bill.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,397,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
It will also depend on which utility co. is providing the electricity.

This is SO very true. Try and stay away from BPU (Board of Public Utilities). Not only are their rates the highest, but they have all these little extra charges, including a Payment In Lieu of Taxes, which is a percentage of your monthly bill. The little extras almost double the bill.

That being said, for summer months, I'm cooling almost 1100 square feet and I use an average of 300 kwh for the hottest summer months (June, July and August). But I like it very warm and keep my A/C on 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas