Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times

Advertisements

Illinois is a nice blue progressive state. Lots of like-minded folks there. I hear it's doing great, too!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:14 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
I hope it passes. I can be fired "at will", doesn't bother me a bit if they can too.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Seems you, once again, need to fix your own issues GraniteStater. Wisconsinite?

Denverian, Colorado used to be a great state. Now, with the influx of the looney left from California, it's going to hell.
I doubt you know anything about Wisconsin or have even visited the state at all. I live in Dane County (Madison) and our economy is the best of any small to medium sized metro in the Midwest. Dane County has the highest percentage growth of new jobs of just about any area outside the larger metros. Technology, engineering, healthcare, research, and university related growth are all factors behind the booming economy here as well as younger people staying around. Kansas does not offer anything remotely close to the Madison area overall. And I have zero desire to live in Johnson County, KS again either.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 AM

945 posts, read 967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Kansas going down the drain. Mo. to soon follow.

House panel votes to shrink classified staff ranks | CJOnline.com

Republicans on the House committee hailed House Bill 2384, which had the distinction of having a mystery sponsor. No individual stepped forward — in public — to testify on behalf of the measure. GOP legislators said state employees working under Brownback privately expressed enthusiasm for the reform.

Comment:

This is insanity in it's ultimate state. How will making positions unclassified enable the recruiting of more effective and competent employees? Without civil service protection, a highly qualified individual would be crazy to apply for a position that; 1) doesn't pay a competitive wage with the private sector, and 2) doesn't have any guarantee that one wouldn't be let go at the whim of which political party is in power.
Under the Civil Service System, poorly performing employees can be replaced. It's not necessarily an easy process, but it can be done if supervisory personnel maintain proper documentation and diligently follow prescribed procedures. Employees are protected from arbitrary dismissals and know that they can retain their jobs if they perform in a satisfactory manner and maintain satisfactory evaluations.
Without an identified proponent for this proposed legislation, why is anyone wasting valuable time in debating it's merits?
What world do you live in Kansas or K-star? Govt employees make more money than private party equivalents, they also get heinous benefits, vacation and holidays.

The whim of what party is in power? Please, the average Joe can be fire for any reason in most states so again I don't know why you would like to insulate your govt fan club from the same perils that everyone else works under.

Clearly you are either personally affected, or have a family member I can assume. There is no reason, a person that has a shred of common sense, with a country riddled with financial cancer would *****-and-moan about bringing the govt thieves back in line with the normal populous.

They should have their pay lowered below the private market, they should all be fired since and people like you should be mocked.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Kick'em to the curb! If you have ever called anyone at the state level, you know it needs to be done. They have SO MUCH deadweight. Most just sitting waiting for retirement. I agree, government workers at all levels are making much more money, getting better benefits including retirement which most don't get anymore, especially in KS so they need to be working efficiently and actually have a job that they are doing. You just have NO idea how difficult it is to get any answers or even to find the right person to talk to if you have a problem and then, you never do resolve anything, they just have so many different people and offices that they pass you around hoping you will give up. More than one time I said "Oh, no! I just talked with that office/person and they referred me to you!" I don't agree with most of what Brownback is doing but the cuts and efficiency need to happen across the board and this looks to be part of that happening. Cut the fat! Seriously, it should not be difficult to get rid of a poorly performing or unnecessary person.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
What world do you live in Kansas or K-star? Govt employees make more money than private party equivalents, they also get heinous benefits, vacation and holidays.

The whim of what party is in power? Please, the average Joe can be fire for any reason in most states so again I don't know why you would like to insulate your govt fan club from the same perils that everyone else works under.

Clearly you are either personally affected, or have a family member I can assume. There is no reason, a person that has a shred of common sense, with a country riddled with financial cancer would *****-and-moan about bringing the govt thieves back in line with the normal populous.

They should have their pay lowered below the private market, they should all be fired since and people like you should be mocked.
Do you like potato's? I am not a govt worker and you are so wrong.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
The usual suspects showing up to bash KS....how shocking. They also didn't appear to read more about the bill and instead forced their own views onto the facts so as to make it appear as bad as possible. Sigh.

You will note that it:

a) Applies to new hires.
b) Only impacts a very limited niche of employees.

One of the proposed benefits is that it puts those new hires outside of the static salary structure which will allow the state to be more competitive in some of those key areas like IT.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I doubt you know anything about Wisconsin or have even visited the state at all. I live in Dane County (Madison) and our economy is the best of any small to medium sized metro in the Midwest. Dane County has the highest percentage growth of new jobs of just about any area outside the larger metros. Technology, engineering, healthcare, research, and university related growth are all factors behind the booming economy here as well as younger people staying around. Kansas does not offer anything remotely close to the Madison area overall. And I have zero desire to live in Johnson County, KS again either.
I know that the WI changes to laws concerning unions makes this proposal look like nothing....and even the recall failed.

Yet, this tiny little bill is somehow justification for people to never consider moving to KS? LMAO.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
One person's "hell" is another's "heaven" I'm happy to be an ex-Kansan in a Blue state

We now have Civil Unions for gay couples, legal pot (great for tax revenue, but I don't partake), and reasonable gun control.
Your firearms death rate is higher than KS by about 20%. So congratulations on the other two.

Your unemployment rate is 30% higher.
Unemployment Rates for States

All that "blue state" "red state" stuff is tired.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your firearms death rate is higher than KS by about 20%. So congratulations on the other two.

Your unemployment rate is 30% higher.
Unemployment Rates for States

All that "blue state" "red state" stuff is tired.
I was joking on the "blue state" stuff And I really don't care about the gun issue. I never have and never will own one. Although I don't find the recent gun regulation passed in CO to be extreme. Polling shows overwhelming support in CO for the laws. If our gun death rate is higher than KS, that would indicate to me that we need to look into the reason for it and make some changes. The only comparison I've done is KCMO to Denver (the actual cities, not metro areas) and KCMO has a much higher murder rate than Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas