Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times

Advertisements

I have been following this and am delighted it has passed since it is desperately needed: Opponents of drug testing for welfare benefits see it as hassling the poor; Brownback says it will help / LJWorld.com Is it that bad? Yes. If law enforcement would just follow the traffic the first weekend of the month, they could easily identify the "sales" locations. As for the children, what do you think it would be like to be growing up in a house where drug use trumped everything else and I mean everything else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,346,271 times
I think it's disgraceful, and the same law in Florida was a bust. Almost no offenders were turned up, and it cost the state millions in wasted taxpayer funds. You make it sound as if people on public assistance are all slackers. They're not. Most are the working poor. Do you think they're spending what little they make on drugs? I sure don't. This legislation just strips them of more of their dignity.

There is absolutely nothing Sam Brownback has done as governor that shouldn't be overturned by the courts. He's a disaster.

There is no way we will ever retire in Kansas. The politics are barbaric. I'm embarrassed to say I live here.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Well, TinaMcG, have you live or are you living in SE KS? The people there wanted it. There was an employer that drug-tested 40 applicants and none passed the drug test. If you want to do something for the working poor, get the drug users out of the income-based housing so that they can sleep at night and feel safe. And, what about their children. It is my understanding that a meth addict see anyone as fair game when it comes to, well, anything. I have heard that incest is a problem. Did you know that when the cash was gone they got on the first that they could go in and ask for additional cash. Cash. Think they are spending it on the kids? Have you seen what the kids are like coming out of those homes? Probably not. This is not about the working poor because I think you will find that they support this also. I know someone who moved into public housing and had to move out because the drug traffic was so bad that she could not get any sleep and feared for her daughter. Don't buy into how this is going to hurt the working poor, this is going to hurt the illegal drug business and it is BIG. I saw on another forum that in one county in SE KS, someone was going to expose the meth dealers/users that they had been aware of so maybe if that happened, we won't be picking on those poor drug selling and using degenerates. Think about the children in the homes, let's call them houses, where drugs are being used and now, there is a possible end to the abuse, neglect and exploitation that these children must endure. Make sure you understand the law, the purpose and how it will be used. Olathe is not very representative of the KS I speak of.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,247 times
Quote:
Almost no offenders were turned up, and it cost the state millions in wasted taxpayer funds. You make it sound as if people on public assistance are all slackers. They're not. Most are the working poor. Do you think they're spending what little they make on drugs? I sure don't. This legislation just strips them of more of their dignity.
I completely agree.
Statistically speaking, there are very few welfare recipients who are drug abuses. On the other hand, aside from the absolute humiliation, the expense is going to be significant.

Quote:
It is my understanding...I have heard...
I prefer we not pass legislation based on here-say. To meth houses, etc, HE'S not usually the one collecting the check, he lives off the one who does.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 PM

Well, if it is heresay, you'll see those results pretty quick but I don't think that will be the case. You just have no idea. I'm guessing that I wasn't the only one complaining to my congress people or this would not have passed. Heresay? It's not heresay. I lived surrounded by it. I watched it operate. A lot of people see it and a lot of those people are family, not mine though, we were raised better than that! Drug use is a way of life and they pass it on to the generational welfare kids. This has nothing to do with the working poor, druggies don't work and can't pass the drug tests but being lazy they probably didn't care but now......................

Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 PM

And statistically speaking, they are a very small number. I can pretty much guarantee the only thing that'll change is Kansas will be further in debt.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 AM

Well, if law enforcement just sits and watches year after year, maybe we could take cuts there to save money for testing and treatment.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
I'm glad to see my birthstate taking the step. I've never understood why it's not right to drug test before giving our tax money to anyone. If you want a job you must pass a drug test. Why should it be any different when asking for handouts? Get clean for the handout, then maybe you can get a job and won't need further handouts. If you're already clean, what's the problem? Humiliation? Bull. Why is it more humiliating to pee for free assistance than to pee for a job?

I've seen the FL results. I'm not convinced because I've also seen the druggies on public assistance. What do you believe? What you see in person or what some study says? I believe my own eyes.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
If you want a job you must pass a drug test.
Where does this stuff come from? There are a lot of professions out there that don't ask for drug tests.
I've never had a job that did drug testing...

Quote:
What do you believe? What you see in person or what some study says?
Well...because I know the difference between statistical analysis and anecdotes...I think I'll have to go with statistics on this one.
I've heard of a guy who survived a car wreck because he wasn't buckled in, but because I understand statistics (as well as physics) I think I'll buckle up anyway.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Where does this stuff come from? There are a lot of professions out there that don't ask for drug tests.
I've never had a job that did drug testing...
Most professionals have jobs; it's the laborers who don't. And the better jobs there normally require drug testing. My ex-good-for-nothing SIL moved his family from Oregon to my home in Wyoming for better job opportunities. He could have had an $80K job here if he'd have laid off the pot, but he preferred to take $20-$30K jobs that didn't require drug tests. That's not enough to live on, especially when you've got to buy drugs with it, so he moved back to Oregon. He and his family are now on public assistance, but I guess he's happy. He can get his fix.

Quote:
Well...because I know the difference between statistical analysis and anecdotes...I think I'll have to go with statistics on this one.
I guess that should have been obvious. My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I'll still trust them over statistics any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas